Query Tracker Community
October 23, 2014, 01:38:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Note: This forum uses different usernames and passwords than those of the main QueryTracker site. 
Please register if you want to post messages.

This forum is also accessible by the public (including search engines).
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Are publishers still relevant?  (Read 3699 times)
shadowwalker

« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2012, 01:24:15 PM »

First what the heck is this commercial publishing nonsense? You mean traditional publishing?

You mean trade publishing?

I'd rather be a could-be if I cannot be an are; because a could-be is a maybe who is reaching for a star. I'd rather be a has-been than a might-have-been by far; for a might-have-been has never been, but a has-been was once an are. - Milton Berle

Boycott Amazon
Sarah Ahiers (Falen)

This, too, shall pass

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2012, 01:51:16 PM »

As for whether we indie authors make money, well, I've sold 6000 novels in the last year.

Wait, i'm confused. Are you Indie published? Or Self-pubbed? Because they're not the same thing.

I'm also a little sad that your post seems to kind of put down people who aren't interested in self-publishing. Just because i want to be traditionally published, doesn't mean i'm crazy or that i'm chasing a brass ring

Repped by Mollie Glick of Foundry Literary
ALL THAT REMAINS 2015 HarperTeen
I hang out at Sarah Ahiers Writes
JeanneT

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2012, 01:52:25 PM »

First what the heck is this commercial publishing nonsense? You mean traditional publishing?

You mean trade publishing?
No, I mean traditional publishing.

The sales of novels whether indie published or traditionally published is both commercial and a form of trade unless you're doing it for a non-profit organization.

Wings of Evil YA Fantasy Novel--Only 99 Cents
Freedom's Sword Scottish Historical Novel - $2.99
Writing and More
JeanneT

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2012, 01:58:49 PM »

As for whether we indie authors make money, well, I've sold 6000 novels in the last year.

Wait, i'm confused. Are you Indie published? Or Self-pubbed? Because they're not the same thing.

I'm also a little sad that your post seems to kind of put down people who aren't interested in self-publishing. Just because i want to be traditionally published, doesn't mean i'm crazy or that i'm chasing a brass ring
I am an indie author. That is the most widely accepted term for an author who choses to publish without a publishing company. Traditional publishing is publishing with a publishing company whether a large one or a small one.

See. You used the term because it's the one that makes sense. Smiley

No, you're not crazy to chase that brass ring if it's what you want but you are spending a lot of time in a part of the forum that is devoted to "alternative publishing" telling people how stupid they are and that they can't possibly succeed. Out of all the people who chase a brass ring, a few will catch it, a very few. But there is also, now, another viable route.

Wings of Evil YA Fantasy Novel--Only 99 Cents
Freedom's Sword Scottish Historical Novel - $2.99
Writing and More
Sarah Ahiers (Falen)

This, too, shall pass

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2012, 02:05:14 PM »

No, you're not crazy to chase that brass ring if it's what you want but you are spending a lot of time in a part of the forum that is devoted to "alternative publishing" telling people how stupid they are and that they can't possibly succeed. Out of all the people who chase a brass ring, a few will catch it, a very few. But there is also, now, another viable route.

OK, first off, i HAVE NEVER said anyone is stupid for self-publishing. NOR WILL I EVER. I have a lot of friends who self publish, some successfully, some not, so please don't come in here and put words in my mouth that are blatantly untrue.

Second, i didn't realize only self-published people are allowed to talk about self-publishing. Foolish me to think this was an open and supportive community that welcomes everyone's opinions regardless of whether or not they agree with them.

Third,

I am an indie author. That is the most widely accepted term for an author who choses to publish without a publishing company.

I would disagree with this. Indie publishing has come to mean those published by a small publishing house. A quick google search agrees with my statement, as does wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Small_press

shadowwalker

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2012, 02:15:25 PM »

I am an indie author. I do not work under contract which specifies what I should write for a particular entity. Nor am I a self-published author.

Falen, there is no point talking terminology with some. They have their own language which perpetrates their unhappiness with trade publishing. And no, they don't care for those who are not self-publishing to interact on self-publishing discussions - that might actually mean another point of view is brought up.

I'd rather be a could-be if I cannot be an are; because a could-be is a maybe who is reaching for a star. I'd rather be a has-been than a might-have-been by far; for a might-have-been has never been, but a has-been was once an are. - Milton Berle

Boycott Amazon
Aiala

Coming soon...

« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2012, 04:03:27 PM »

The term "traditional publishing" was brought into widespread use by the infamous scam outfit called PublishAmerica, who intended it as a pejorative.

Random House, Simon & Schuster, Kensington, et al can be correctly described as "commercial publishers".

Arguing about the exact meaning of such terms as "self-publish" and "indie writer" is a spectacularly efficient way of wasting time.   Smiley

~A~

"Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate" ~ Dante Alighieri, Inferno
-------------------------------------------------
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/7286455-she-s-my-dad
http://www.authorsden.com/visit/viewpoetry_all.
Sarah Ahiers (Falen)

This, too, shall pass

« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2012, 04:32:55 PM »

The term "traditional publishing" was brought into widespread use by the infamous scam outfit called PublishAmerica, who intended it as a pejorative.

Random House, Simon & Schuster, Kensington, et al can be correctly described as "commercial publishers".

Arguing about the exact meaning of such terms as "self-publish" and "indie writer" is a spectacularly efficient way of wasting time.   Smiley

~A~

No more than arguing about "traditional publishing" vs "commercial publishing"  wink2
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 08:10:39 PM by Falen » Logged

Aiala

Coming soon...

« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2012, 06:47:22 PM »

Bien sr. 

~A~

"Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate" ~ Dante Alighieri, Inferno
-------------------------------------------------
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/7286455-she-s-my-dad
http://www.authorsden.com/visit/viewpoetry_all.
Sarah Ahiers (Falen)

This, too, shall pass

« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2012, 08:05:44 PM »

Bien sr. 

~A~

HAH!   toast

eallen99

Out to the cornfield!

« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2012, 08:09:23 PM »

At the end of the day, don't we all just want the same thing?

wine Poke Shower respect zen

Translation: a nice glass of wine, a yummy massage, a hot shower, a little respect and moments of enlightenment...

N'est pas?

bodwen

« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2012, 11:16:32 PM »

I know I sure do!   Grin

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: