QueryTracker Community
March 18, 2019, 06:27:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Note: This forum uses different usernames and passwords than those of the main QueryTracker site. 
Please register if you want to post messages.

This forum is also accessible by the public (including search engines).
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How Y.A. Works  (Read 4301 times)
quiarahb

« on: July 11, 2014, 01:26:54 PM »

Found this site on Twitter and thought I'd post it. It talks about popular YA books, the writing and such. It could be useful to YA writers out there.

Here's the link: http://howyafictionworks.com/2014/06/28/cress-word-choice-in-ya-lit/

Check it out and see what you think, guys.  Smiley
Pandean

Panic in human form

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 06:32:03 PM »

That's very interesting!

WHITE STAG, an internet phenomenon, has been acquired by St. Martin's Press/Wednesday Books for publication in Winter 2019
quiarahb

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 10:26:44 AM »

Yeah. I like a lot of the comments made about our beloved popular books. Makes you think. The comment made about the book, Cress, and word choice got me thinking.
MookyMcD

"hilarious and offensive and usually accurate"

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2014, 02:33:07 PM »

I basically agree with the statement that the fingers "being" doesn't convey much in itself. I haven't read the article, and don't see this issue as having anything to do with YA, but why waste a verb to describe? You end up with a sentence that does nothing but say the fingers "were" that?

"His shriveled and blue fingers still gripped the amulet, even in death" or "The old man's fingers, shriveled and blue, were cold against her cheek" or whatever. That does two things, one of which, I think is what the author was talking about, the other is moving description to action, which I think makes both the description and action better.

I put the nati in Illuminati
michaeljmcdonagh.wordpress.com
BlackRabbit
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2014, 03:49:17 PM »

Thanks, Mooky! I was reading it too literally, when I really should have just used my imagination. :•)
tianaluthien

Dance, magic, dance

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2014, 06:08:02 PM »

That's really interesting, thanks for posting.

This is something I seem to notice more in YA, though I don't think any genre is immune to it. It usually makes me think about how I want to rewrite whatever sentence/paragraph I've just read...  embarrassed

Word choice is also something I've been paying more attention to lately. It doesn't always filter through when I'm writing the first (very rough) draft, but when I go back and revise, I've got a clearer image of everything in my head and can rewrite accordingly.

My mother said
to get things done
You'd better not mess
with Major Tom
~Ashes to Ashes, David Bowie
Doggy Teng

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2014, 03:24:46 PM »

That's a pretty good article -- thanks for posting the link.  And of course the topic isn't specific to Y.A. at all!

I especially like the James Wood quote at the beginning.  In many ways this is just what I meant when I joked about some of the Write Club commenters reminding me of people who give the impression that they need to 'get out more' because they're effusive about something fairly ordinary.  In most cases the writing is certainly functional, but has only begun to scratch the surface when it comes to showing the finesse needed to create something really special.  Things like word choice and, especially, the sound and rhythm of the language are a big part of reaching that skill level.

sara_ash

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2014, 02:06:45 AM »

Thanks for this, quiarahb!
OtterDaughter

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2014, 02:15:44 PM »

Interesting article! Karma for you, my dear.  Thumbs Up 

See, morbid and creepifying I got no problem with...

Swiftly developing an unhealthy obsession with Data Explorer.
benjj

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2014, 06:04:51 PM »

I prefer the minimalist approach to prose. It keeps my writing clean and pacey. It helps to use concrete verbs, which buy mine at WalMart.
quiarahb

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2014, 04:02:19 PM »

Sorry for the late replies. Glad that you guys liked the article. I think this site is really cool, but again this article made me think. I'm very particular about the words I use in my MS. And I agree. This article isn't just for YA writers.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: