QueryTracker Community
November 12, 2018, 11:36:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Note: This forum uses different usernames and passwords than those of the main QueryTracker site. 
Please register if you want to post messages.

This forum is also accessible by the public (including search engines).
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Please help me title this book?  (Read 6832 times)
Sarah Ahiers (Falen)

This, too, shall pass

« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2016, 07:53:35 AM »

I'm so bad at titles. If they don't come to me right away, they don't come at all

Repped by Mollie Glick of CAA
ASSASSIN'S HEART 2016 HarperTeen
I hang out at Sarah Ahiers Writes
Author Website
MookyMcD

"hilarious and offensive and usually accurate"

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2016, 11:29:13 AM »

the phrase "the damned" makes me think of zombies, but that could just be me.

Saving Private RemielGrin

TBH, the term shrapnel conjures something too earthly and concrete, particularly when working it in with your other titles. It also sounds like you may be pulling your title from the inciting event instead of the central conflict (or maybe not, depending on the degree of injury and how much of the conflict in the story derives from that). If it's the latter, maybe use "a wounded angel" as a starting point (but it's a common title, so that can't be your endpoint). If not, maybe some more info on the central conflict in the story would point us somewhere we could be more helpful.

I LOVE title work, to be honest. But for me, like most of this stuff, it's a process.

I put the nati in Illuminati
michaeljmcdonagh.wordpress.com
Tabris

I rock!

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2016, 12:03:24 PM »

Okay, so if we're working more from the central themes of the story, I think we get things like:

the past
Grief
Separation
Being emotionally stuck
Wanting to protect yourself

Splinters Of The Past doesn't quite sing to me, though. ;-) 

If we use Violet's idea of combining any of these ideas with something to contrast them, though, that might come up with something interesting. I'm going to go for a run and wait for something brilliant to pop into my head. It won't, but that at least kicks the can down the road a couple of hours.

Come visit my weblog!
Aubrey

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2016, 12:54:56 PM »

Chiming in to say that I like the Splinters of Evil, Splinters of Light, Splinters of . . .  the best. Good luck!
Tabris

I rock!

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2016, 01:11:30 PM »

Back from my run. What if I played on "death where is thy sting" with something like Death's Stinger?

Come visit my weblog!
BlackRabbit

« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2016, 01:33:54 PM »

I like coming up with titles, but this is a tough one! I'm just going by some of the words you've mentioned already (plus angels, minus demons), but how about:

Splintered Wings
Asunder
Fragmented Light
Mortal Fragments
Tabris

I rock!

« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2016, 01:46:45 PM »

I like the feel of "Mortal Fragments." ...

Come visit my weblog!
slightlysmall

« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2016, 02:09:03 PM »

I like the idea of playing on death where is thy sting, but the apostrophe in your example seems too informal to me. Maybe THE [ADJECTIVE] STING OF DEATH?

Mortal Fragments is good, but it reminds me too much of Cassie Clare's Mortal Instruments, which I don't find a good thing.

BlackRabbit

« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2016, 03:04:09 PM »

Mortal Fragments is good, but it reminds me too much of Cassie Clare's Mortal Instruments, which I don't find a good thing.

Haha, I was worried someone would say that. I like the double meaning in the word "mortal," but I definitely feel like it may be forever tainted now.

Fatal Fragments?
Tabris

I rock!

« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2016, 03:19:01 PM »

Pins and Evils.  crazy

I see what you say about Mortal Anything.

Come visit my weblog!
Doggy Teng

« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2016, 10:30:05 PM »

I'm afraid I don't have any great ideas, although I can see how 'Death's Stinger' might work -- I think you may be closer with that one.  But I also wanted to say that 'shrapnel' has too many specific earthly associations for me as well.  'Splinters' is all right, but the word in that category that I like best is 'shards' -- I think that would fit better in this context, i.e., 'Shards of Such-and-such' or 'Something Shards'. 

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: