QueryTracker Community
December 13, 2018, 01:30:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Note: This forum uses different usernames and passwords than those of the main QueryTracker site. 
Please register if you want to post messages.

This forum is also accessible by the public (including search engines).
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: On Submission!  (Read 7273 times)
VWrites

« on: January 17, 2017, 10:01:45 AM »

Hi Everyone!

I'm pretty new here, but I can say reading all the threads in this forum from querying to the next step has really helped! Now that I'm on submission (Yay!), I totally understand and agree it's a different beast than querying. I thought getting an agent was hard enough! The first week was fine--exciting, actually. By the second week... not so exciting. We're in our sixth week and we've had one pass so far. I know six weeks isn't long, but all that waiting!!!

Is anyone else on sub? How do you get your mind off it long enough to write? I haven't been able to write much, and I think THAT has been the hardest part.

Thanks to all of you who give such amazing advice! Smiley
Sarah Ahiers (Falen)

This, too, shall pass

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2017, 10:46:32 AM »

Yay! Super congrats on being on sub! I'll cross my finger that you'll get a sale soon

Repped by Mollie Glick of CAA
ASSASSIN'S HEART 2016 HarperTeen
I hang out at Sarah Ahiers Writes
Author Website
GoldyGirl

Without darkness, there is no light.

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017, 12:12:41 PM »

Congrats and best of luck!!

I discovered this wonderful blog post for writers on sub:

http://ingridsundberg.com/2014/04/28/on-sub-what-to-expect-when-youre-expecting-the-writers-edition/

hmm    "We all die. The goal isn't to live forever. The goal is to create something that will." -Chuck Palahniuk
VWrites

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2017, 12:16:40 PM »

Thank you both so much! It's so nerve-wracking! And thanks for the link GoldyGirl! I'll definitely check it out!
bswb97

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2017, 10:38:33 PM »

I know everyone works differently, so I'll describe the way I've gotten through awaiting the results of a Big 5 acquisitions meeting (NO CLUE when it's happening). I forced myself to write, but not just write aimlessly, write with self-imposed internal deadlines.

We found out about the acquistions meeting in December but we were told that the imprint probably wouldn't do anything until 2017. So during that time, I was working on a first draft of a WIP, and I knew my agent was going to get me notes on MS #2 soon. I told myself that my goal was to finish the first draft of the WIP by 2017 so I could start on revising MS #2. In 2017, we heard that the editor was preparing materials to circulate and it would be added to an upcoming acquisitions meeting "soon".

In my head, I just had to pretend that it wasn't happening. I told myself that instead, I was going to get through my agent's notes by the end of February, so that was where I could focus my energies.

I still have a ton of acquisition anxiety and I check my email way too often. But those hours when I am focused on MS #2, I'm falling in love with another set of characters and another world, so it's easy to let the current sub simmer, at least for a little bit. Plus the pressure to meet your own internal deadlines really helped me from wasting TOO much time on Twitter.

Give it a try if you're really struggling, though I know deadlines aren't necessarily what works for everyone.
mochik

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2017, 12:33:50 AM »

Good luck! I don't have any advice but I hope you get a good and speedy sale!

My writing twitter: katehavas
VWrites

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2017, 11:48:18 AM »

Thank you both! I really like the idea of setting up internal deadlines, bswb97. I've never had a problem writing before, not like this, and this no-writing thing sucks. I have three WIPs right now, and I can't seem to concentrate on any. BUT, yes, deadlines are a must. All the Twitter and email checking! I need to find the strength to turn off my Internet.

You're going to acquisitions?! That's so exciting, bswb97!! And I can imagine totally nerve-wracking! I'm sending so many good vibes your way! 
bswb97

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2017, 01:55:51 PM »

Thanks! I've already had the soul-crushing heartbreak of dying at acquisitions twice so far, so I have somewhat tempered expectations this time. It's like, if I remain pessimistic then publishing can't hurt me anymore. ;)
VWrites

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2017, 02:49:48 PM »

Haha! Nice mindset to have! ;) I'll be rooting for you!
Falthor

Picture of Me and one of the Twins (Chloe)

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2017, 03:15:18 PM »

grats.

“The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't.”

-Douglas Adams, The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.
VWrites

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2017, 12:03:28 PM »

Thanks so much!  Grin
Spat

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2017, 09:01:36 PM »

Hi! I'm on sub, too, with 2 books (romance and YA), and I've gotten over the entire on sub thing. It wears down going into my third book on sub...

But I keep busy with my next project and doing happy, life things like hanging out with friends and family, planning trips, lots of reading, etc. I try to be of the mindset that I'm not really on sub and if something happens, it'll be a nice surprise. Oh, and staying off social media because everyone and their mamas are reporting new deals.  Smiley
Marie

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2017, 08:09:52 AM »

Congrats, VWriter!!

My agent helped me deal with the submission waiting by asking, "When will you have the next book ready for me?" So I had to give him a date and that really helped me focus. Smiley
VWrites

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2017, 10:49:27 AM »

Hi, Spat and Marie!

Thanks so much for the advice! It's nice to know others are in this with me!

Congrats on being on sub, Spat! I think it's awesome you have two books out there! Sending you all the good vibes!

I'm definitely trying to stay off social media, but it's tough because Twitter is my go-to when I'm writing/procrastinating. I'm also trying to get out of the house and away from anything electronic. So, running outside instead of on the treadmill and calling friends up and forcing my presence on them (while leaving my phone at home). I really thought querying was tough, but the waiting and then the occasional pass while on sub is so much harder!

I'll be rooting for you!! Keep me posted and I'll do the same!

LeoniePDX

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2017, 02:52:28 PM »

Good luck, VWrites! (I feel like we should have our own sub-specific expression, like "Break a Leg" but just for sub. Ideas??)

I've been on sub for 3 weeks and I'm so incredibly grateful for Querytracker. I know it's early days but this process is tough!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: