QueryTracker Community
August 15, 2018, 03:40:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Note: This forum uses different usernames and passwords than those of the main QueryTracker site. 
Please register if you want to post messages.

This forum is also accessible by the public (including search engines).
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: On Sub and Counting  (Read 2660 times)
Spat

« on: February 05, 2017, 02:54:27 PM »

I'm on sub. Again. My first two books didn't sell. On sub with book three and four! #3 is a romance, been out for 4 months with two passes. #4 is YA that's been out for two months and at second reads with one imprint.

One, I thought romances and WF ms received responses within 3 months typically.
Two, I'm keeping my mind off it by furiously working on book five, which already has an editor's interest. Plus, I have a plot forming for another series.
Three, I'm (unfortunately) used to being on sub with little to no hope, so I'm not as hysterically anxious this year.
Four, how long does second reads take? I was told it went to second reads over a month ago.

How is everyone else doing on sub? How long did it take to get a final answer? Genre?
Hang in there friends!  Thumbs Up
Sarah Ahiers (Falen)

This, too, shall pass

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2017, 07:52:06 AM »

Second reads take as long as they take, unfortunately. But super good luck!

Repped by Mollie Glick of CAA
ASSASSIN'S HEART 2016 HarperTeen
I hang out at Sarah Ahiers Writes
Author Website
dzolidis

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2017, 08:43:36 AM »

Hang in there! I was on sub four times before I finally sold my 5th book.

Congrats on being out there in multiple genres, though! From what I understand, reading time is pretty variable. You can't really read too much into it (sorry for the pun) Good luck!
Spat

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2017, 05:28:24 PM »

Thanks, guys. Dzolidis, that's inspiring that you went out four times and sold on your fifth. I might be headed in that direction, and I'm trying not to think it's never going to happen. How often does that happen, you think? An agented writer who goes out a dozen times and then never gets published?  no

Well, still no word on anything. One book out for 5 months, one at second reads for 3 months, another almost ready to go out.
Speckle

Am querying and... reading and writing.

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2017, 05:03:41 AM »

Hey Spat,

Good luck, I really hope that you get good news soon! There's a really great forum of support on AW: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?306747-The-Next-Circle-of-Hell-Vol-2/page170

And there are loads of folk there on sub, and it's a super supportive environment. Lots of nail-biting and general gnashing of teeth. And then the odd joyous announcement - yay!! But, in short: this is not an easy business.

Holding thumbs for you!

Spat

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2017, 10:28:10 AM »

I'll be honest, I was looking for someone to send me sympathy cookies. lol.  wink2

Thanks for the post and the words of encouragement. It is a long journey...to put it mildly.
barnesCh

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2017, 08:03:34 AM »

It's a difficult situation. I'm still on sub with my first book. I've written some other manuscripts, but I still get those moments of fear. What if I'm not good enough? What if I go through another period of paralyzing writer's block? Also, I'm thinking that as slow as this process is, I'll be too old to enjoy it if I am lucky enough to find any success.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: