QueryTracker Community
May 20, 2018, 08:32:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Note: This forum uses different usernames and passwords than those of the main QueryTracker site. 
Please register if you want to post messages.

This forum is also accessible by the public (including search engines).
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What to put in those opening pages  (Read 9839 times)
slightlysmall

« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2018, 10:10:16 AM »

TigerLily and Next chapter, thank you for the kind words!

I do truly believe that if a Hispanic author has written a similar story, they deserve the shelf space over me. But I am still proud of that book.

Working on a new project now, though: a Beauty and the Beast prequel focused on the enchantress's downfall that I'm also excited about and I'll be doing Camp NaNo to finish it. As much as I'd love a home for Blackberry Jam, I'm doing all an aspiring author can do. Writing another book.

As to what's happening in the industry, I think it's a product of a majority-white industry trying to become more inclusive with no idea how to do it. I've loved the diversity of books we've been seeing, and my reader self is certainly pleased. My TBR is waaay too long, and YA has become a place of not only racial but plot diversity at least in part I think due to this switch.

Munley

Atlantic Canada

« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2018, 08:59:26 PM »

Article on the role of empathy in writing about "the other", with interesting thoughts on hiring sensitivity readers and having diversity panels check over work.

https://lithub.com/there-is-no-secret-to-writing-about-people-who-do-not-look-like-you/

Written by Brandon Taylor

Brandon Taylor is an assistant editor at Electric Literature's Recommended Reading and, when not writing fiction, is pursuing a PhD in biochemistry.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: