QueryTracker Community
August 17, 2018, 04:27:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Note: This forum uses different usernames and passwords than those of the main QueryTracker site. 
Please register if you want to post messages.

This forum is also accessible by the public (including search engines).
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Congrats to Me from Me!  (Read 1406 times)
JohnPansini

just me.jpg

« on: February 07, 2018, 04:57:22 PM »

One of the biggest literary managers in Hollywood, Zero Gravity Management, asked to see my TV pilot! With scripts, a manager differs from an agent in that managers can also produce scripts while agents just sell, same as they do in book world.

I emailed my query and 20 minutes later they ask to see it. Here is the winning query, a slight variation of the book query:

Afro-Russian intelligence officer wants to advance his career, but first he must prove treason against another black Russian. If he fails, he will be sent back into the meat grinder: The Soviet-Afghan War. Based on a true story.

BLACK RUSSIAN: The Spy I See… is a Cold War spy thriller told from the Russian perspective. A pilot script has been completed. Along with a TV series, there is a trilogy of accompanying novels. The first novel is also finished.

GRU officer and ex-Spetsnaz Mikhail Khalatsyn, whose father emigrated from Mississippi in the 1930s, wants to be assigned undercover as a diplomat to the Soviet Mission to the United Nations. But first, Mikhail must prove treason against another black Russian: a scientist working at the secret Soviet nuclear facility of Mayak in City 40. The scientist has a Russian father and an Angolan mother. If Mikhail fails, he will be sent back to Afghanistan.

This story is based on my personal experience as a controlled asset for the FBI against Soviet intelligence, the GRU and KGB, from 1983 to 1987.
I hope you will want to take a look. Thank you for your time,

Please note: the first line is what Hollywood calls a "logline" or what book world calls "an elevator pitch."  I suspect if a reader does not like the logline they toss the query.

Good luck to all my friends on QT,
JP
Zooks

www.MaryVettel.com

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2018, 05:41:42 PM »

Wow!  Congratulations, John! How exciting for you. Best of luck to you with this.  clap clap

NOOKS & GRANNIES - quirky paranormal
GATSBY DELANEY - 7TH GRADE IMPRESARIO - MG
THIS AIN'T NO COWBOY MOVIE -  YA
BROGWIN FRAYNEY AND HOW HE NEARLY SAVED A KINGDOM - MG
DEATH AT THE DRIVE-IN - Fiction - Published - available on Amazon
MOTORCYCLE BABIES - YA
A SCOUNDREL'S TALE - fiction
JohnPansini

just me.jpg

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2018, 05:59:53 PM »

Thanks Zooks, much appreciated. I'm still going to try to sell the book first. Next step is to query a book world literary agent Who worked real hard to help me sell another project. We didn't, but I feel I owe him first shot.
hesterL

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2018, 08:43:19 AM »

Congrats John!!!  clap clap clap clap
Falthor

Picture of Me and one of the Twins (Chloe)

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2018, 09:04:09 AM »

grats John.

“The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't.”

-Douglas Adams, The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.
JohnPansini

just me.jpg

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2018, 09:47:42 AM »

Thanks Falthor & HesterL.

Falthor I know. HesterL, nice to met you. And wishing both of you the best with your writing.

JP
MookyMcD

"hilarious and offensive and usually accurate"

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2018, 10:10:15 AM »

That's fantastic news. I've got a college buddy whose life was changed forever with news like this. Good luck on the next steps!

I put the nati in Illuminati
michaeljmcdonagh.wordpress.com
JohnPansini

just me.jpg

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2018, 12:50:35 PM »

Thanks, MookyMcD. A guy once told me that things can move quickly once it gets going.
JP
blackhat

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2018, 01:19:38 PM »

Excellent news, John. Yes, ZG is a pretty hefty presence in the industry out there. Impressive that they responded so quickly. Best of luck! As a recovering screenwriter from long ago, I always worry about what they'll ask you to change - inevitably, in my case, it was always the one thing that unraveled my whole story Smiley  Here's hoping they continue to love it just the way it is!
JohnPansini

just me.jpg

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2018, 03:23:57 PM »

Thanks, Blackhat.

As once screenwriter/novelist to another I find that doing the novel first gives me much more insight into my characters, chart better plot points, etc. Then I go the adapting the story to screen. Works for me, you might want to work on your own adaptations. The more tools a writer has, the better.

Thanks again, and good luck to you. Don't give up on screenwriting, just approach it in another way. Story is story.
JP 
jldelozier

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2018, 07:04:20 PM »

Woot, woot - fingers crossed it turns out exactly how you want it to (says one hockey fan to another.) On a totally different subject, I'm hoping for a Penguins/Golden Knights Stanley Cup match-up.
JohnPansini

just me.jpg

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2018, 10:53:17 PM »

Thanks, JL. I used to play hockey. Now my uniform is just a Halloween costume. That picture was taken at Halloween party 2014.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: