QueryTracker Community
February 23, 2018, 05:58:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Note: This forum uses different usernames and passwords than those of the main QueryTracker site. 
Please register if you want to post messages.

This forum is also accessible by the public (including search engines).
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fantasy Sub plots/ character trials - When is it too many?  (Read 200 times)
sm_davidson

« on: February 09, 2018, 10:50:31 AM »

Hey amazing QT community,

I am just revising my first draft YA fantasy and I find myself re-evaluating my outline. How man is too many sub plots and/or character trials. I have about 4 major trials that the antagonist traps my MC in before we get to the main conflict's climax. Is this too many? Am I bogging my story down with too many rise and falls? I understand the subplots needing to be there, but at some point can I hurt the progression of my story by putting too many obstacles in the way?

Look forward to any feedback!
Sarah Ahiers (Falen)

This, too, shall pass

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2018, 03:26:27 PM »

Yeah you can definitely bog down a story with too many subplots. Usually in western literature we follow the rule of threes: the three act structure, 3 disasters and an ending, etc.

Are the trials making things worse and harder?

Repped by Mollie Glick of CAA
ASSASSIN'S HEART 2016 HarperTeen
I hang out at Sarah Ahiers Writes
Author Website
gckatz

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2018, 04:20:14 PM »

I think you can have as many incidents as you like as long as every one substantively changes the protagonist's situation in a way that moves them closer to the final confrontation.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: