QueryTracker Community
December 16, 2018, 12:22:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Note: This forum uses different usernames and passwords than those of the main QueryTracker site. 
Please register if you want to post messages.

This forum is also accessible by the public (including search engines).
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Query format screwed up when pasted into e-mail  (Read 1051 times)
Wayward Son

« on: March 10, 2018, 07:15:23 AM »

I carefully write my query in a Word document, then cut and paste to put it into an e-mail. Then the Word format disappears! It changes the font, introduces double spacing or deletes blank lines between paragraphs, and basically makes it look like a mess. It's even worse when the agent wants the sample chapters in the body of the e-mail because all of the blank lines and indents disappear, and it's hard to read, which I'm sure doesn't encourage an agent to actually read it. It takes a long time for me to put the whole thing back into the format that I originally had it in. I'm not given the choice of what kind of paste to use, just "paste."

I'm using Comcast.net. Some time ago they "improved" it, and that's when this problem started. Does anyone else have this problem? What did you do to fix it, or could you?
mgmystery

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 07:46:43 AM »

Since email formatting is different across the board, I've never tried shortcuts. I've heard horror stories about agents receiving queries with all kinds of strange formatting issues because of how the different emails read symbols.

I type the initial query in Word. When I'm ready to send, I paste it into notepad to strip any weird formatting, then paste into my email. It takes a ton of time, but I proof read every step and it helps keep me from making easy-to-fix mistakes. The good news--Usually when an agent requests pages, you get to attach your Word document  Smiley
DNE44

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2018, 05:01:20 PM »

I agree with mgmystery -- notepad is a good and safe intermediate step. Otherwise, you may need to look at a different email client.
Curious Author

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2018, 10:11:32 PM »

Create a separate Word doc (or other word processing program). Include agent name and personalization. Select all and copy. Then, in your e-mail, go to Edit -> Paste and Match Style. Your query will match the e-mail font.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: