QueryTracker Community
October 17, 2018, 08:34:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Note: This forum uses different usernames and passwords than those of the main QueryTracker site. 
Please register if you want to post messages.

This forum is also accessible by the public (including search engines).
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: negative title?  (Read 3136 times)
NextChapter

« on: March 20, 2018, 04:18:51 PM »

I have written a middle grade novel about a girl who wants to change her name from Mary Jane to something more tease-proof. I considered a bunch of titles before setting on NOT MARY JANE. Yeah, that was my name until two years ago (and I'm really old). Trust me, never ever give a child a two-word name. It's awful. It sounds cute and all, but it's not. So . . . I have been querying, as we aspiring authors must do, and now I am starting to wonder if the title is all wrong. Was it a bad idea to have the word "Not" as the first word of the title? Is that off-putting? Too negative? Your thoughts are greatly appreciated (even if I do not agree).
koji

« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2018, 04:48:47 PM »

From what I understand, the title doesn't play a HUGE roll in successful querying. While a great title can catch an agent's eye, a mediocre title isn't off-putting for most agents. Many MSs get title changes at various points in the publishing process.

That being said, I don't think Not Mary Jane is a bad title. Or somehow negative.

jcwrites

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2018, 05:22:24 PM »

AKA MARY JANE

(and koji is correct: even your publisher's marketing department gets to weigh in on the title.)
NextChapter

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2018, 05:23:13 PM »

From what I understand, the title doesn't play a HUGE roll in successful querying. While a great title can catch an agent's eye, a mediocre title isn't off-putting for most agents. Many MSs get title changes at various points in the publishing process.

That being said, I don't think Not Mary Jane is a bad title. Or somehow negative.

Thanks! One less thing to think about. Smiley
MookyMcD

"hilarious and offensive and usually accurate"

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2018, 02:25:47 AM »

I'm not saying "Not Mary Jane" is a poor choice, because I kinda like it, and I I don't think there's an issue with a negative in the title as a general principle.

But, if you're looking for alternatives, "She's not Mary Jane" or "I'm not Mary Jane" (depending on the MC's POV) may clarify a bit.

I put the nati in Illuminati
michaeljmcdonagh.wordpress.com
PureVictory

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2018, 03:15:11 AM »

Idea for title: "The Name Mary Jane"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: