QueryTracker Community
September 25, 2018, 02:59:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Note: This forum uses different usernames and passwords than those of the main QueryTracker site. 
Please register if you want to post messages.

This forum is also accessible by the public (including search engines).
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: G-Katz article  (Read 1219 times)
Falthor

Picture of Me and one of the Twins (Chloe)

« on: April 02, 2018, 08:24:18 PM »

Saw this, not even sure if Gwen realises the article is out there.

https://electricliterature.com/describe-yourself-like-a-male-author-would-is-the-most-savage-twitter-thread-in-ages-60d145d638d6

“The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't.”

-Douglas Adams, The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.
jldelozier

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2018, 05:45:08 AM »

LMAO - this is fantastic. Kudos to you, G-Katz! Thumbs Up
NextChapter

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2018, 07:01:47 AM »

So funny! Myself?

Even if she had noticeable boobs, they would still be attached to a gray-haired, sixty-something woman with unwarranted confidence and brains to match, so . . . invisible. Not that she cared. She looked me up and down, and then moved on to a slightly balding man, completely missing that I am the total package. What a loser!
Falthor

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2018, 07:02:41 AM »

the article caused a sh** of a S-Storm on a group I'm part of when a guy thought he'd make an off colour retort to the article and a bunch of feminists called him on it.  but I do love the article.

Curious Author

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2018, 09:21:37 PM »

Looooooooove.
Munley

Mr. Fluff -- from the SPCA

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2018, 04:40:17 PM »

As I stepped off the airport shuttlebus, I caught sight of her -- her long brown hair lifting from her back like the delicate wing of a beautiful butterfly. She was tiny, no more than five feet, tuckable under my arm, her slim, strong legs surely able to keep pace as I'd lead the way to my favorite hiking path some sunny afternoon. I panted after her lovely hourglass shape accentuated by her form-fitting dress. God! How I wish my wife still looked like that! Pursuing that beautiful form with my roll-along trunk, I wanted to scoop her up and place her on top of it, rescue her from the din of the city and roll her into the hotel elevator to my carpeted room.

Now within arm's length, I said in my rolling baritone voice that's made millions of women literally melt, "Miss? Excuse me. Miss?"

As she turned, tough-skinned crow's feet puffed up above the high cheekbones that must have launched a thousand ships in her gorgeous prime. But now those chiseled bones could barely hang onto her sagging skin. What a cheat! That fraud, out and about, parading down the street with the body and walk of a teenage queen when she had to be at least sixty! How many other men had she tricked into huffing two blocks after her? There ought to be a law against bitches like her. How dare they!

« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 12:04:07 AM by Munley » Logged
NextChapter

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2018, 04:51:55 PM »

Oh, Munley, this is BRILLIANT!
Munley

Mr. Fluff -- from the SPCA

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2018, 10:59:11 PM »

Thanks, NextChapter.

Doing this post has inspired me to post a profile pic of me in my sixties. For some reason, my hair doesn't turn gray, except for a few strands along my temples, and I do tend to look like a teenager -- from a distance.

I have to say there have been fantastic male writers over the ages who have realistically portrayed woman: Flaubert, Maupassant, Tolstoy, Dostoevsky, others. The puffed-head who insisted on his web page a man could write realistically about women (only to prove with his novel that he didn't manage to), well, he reminds me of those  old  novels, where all the "dames" exist only for men to feast their eyes on and get into the sack. I don't think that guy could write well about anyone, anywhere. Unfortunately, he's not the only one out there. My sample is meant only to guess what guys like him would write -- guys who have no time to waste on women who have never been, or are no longer, lust-worthy (by his standards). Kudos to the men who pay deeper attention to the rest of humankind.

E.T.A.:

Photo now changed to one of my cats. Really.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 02:37:24 PM by Munley » Logged
NextChapter

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2018, 06:51:08 AM »

I've changed my avatar too. Thanks, Munley, for inspiring me to do so.
Vortigern

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2018, 07:15:10 PM »

As I stepped off the airport shuttlebus, I caught sight of her -- her long brown hair lifting from her back like the delicate wing of a beautiful butterfly. She was tiny, no more than five feet, tuckable under my arm, her slim, strong legs surely able to keep pace as I'd lead the way to my favorite hiking path some sunny afternoon. I panted after her lovely hourglass shape accentuated by her form-fitting dress. God! How I wish my wife still looked like that! Pursuing that beautiful form with my roll-along trunk, I wanted to scoop her up and place her on top of it, rescue her from the din of the city and roll her into the hotel elevator to my carpeted room.

Now within arm's length, I said in my rolling baritone voice that's made millions of women literally melt, "Miss? Excuse me. Miss?"

As she turned, tough-skinned crow's feet puffed up above the high cheekbones that must have launched a thousand ships in her gorgeous prime. But now those chiseled bones could barely hang onto her sagging skin. What a cheat! That fraud, out and about, parading down the street with the body and walk of a teenage queen when she had to be at least sixty! How many other men had she tricked into huffing two blocks after her? There ought to be a law against bitches like her. How dare they!

I love this!

Inspiring Imagination Between Two Worlds
RockWhitehouse

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2018, 12:58:36 PM »

So, gckatz, is it your position that a male writer cannot have a plausible female main character?

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Edison
JBeachum

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2018, 11:09:35 AM »

I don't think she's saying that. I think she's saying that most male authors do a bad job of writing women and write them from a male perspective, and that it's hard to write a woman in a natural, non-offensive way.

I was the same when I wrote the first draft of my current manuscript, and it was made worse by the fact that I was writing a female character in first-person. It was awful. Granted, the MC is supposed to be vain, superficial, and overly sensual at the beginning of the book - basically a walking stereotype - so she can have somewhere to grow from (and for other, story-related reasons). But the rest of the book, writing her as she grew and became more "real" as a person, was difficult because I have, like, zero natural insight into the mind of a woman (you can ask my wife).

I needed a ton of help from female authors and editors who helped me as critique partners and beta readers. The final product turned out pretty well - at least I hope it did - but it was hard work and I needed a lot of help.

Left to my own devices, I would've done a terrible job of writing a female character, especially in first person, and my first draft showed that. It's a challenge and I think that's what gckatz was alluding to: that many male authors don't go through the process and depend on their own "insight" to do it, which is, in most cases, a mistake.

Repped by Marisa Corvisiero of the Corvisiero Literary Agency
Falthor

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2018, 11:37:32 AM »

having had this discussion with Gcatz (pretty sure she's rarely around here anymore BTW) a Male writer writing a Female character is always a little troublesome.   I can be done, but a lot of work and research need to be put into it along with Sympathy readers and a lot of female POV to make sure that you are getting an authentic Female character and not a caricature or stereotype.

is the same as a White male (like myself) writing a Gay Black male, or someone with another condition I have no experience with personally.  I can be done but it needs to be handled correctly.  I have seen women write horrible men, white people write horrible minorities, able people write horrible disabled people etc etc etc.  It doesn't mean it has to be that way or that it will be that way every time.  it means if you don't have life experience as the character you are writing, you need to find the people who do and figure out what makes them tick if you want your character to be authentic.

jpm327

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2018, 11:52:12 AM »

omg this is hilarious!!! Love it
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: