QueryTracker Community
July 18, 2018, 02:05:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Note: This forum uses different usernames and passwords than those of the main QueryTracker site. 
Please register if you want to post messages.

This forum is also accessible by the public (including search engines).
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Query Kombat Tournament  (Read 1342 times)
Ravenous

« on: April 03, 2018, 06:17:05 PM »

Bloggers Kara, Michael, and Michelle are back again to bring you the SIXTH annual Query Kombat tournament.

***Contest Mission: To showcase the work of diverse and talented novelists, while providing a learning environment that unites the writing community through knowledge, kindness, and a little friendly kompetition.

The Basics: (updated from previous years. Read carefully.)

Query Kombat will host 64 kombatants in a single-elimination, tournament style query-off. Entries will go head to head (one on one) with one another until only ONE entry remains. There will be a total of six rounds in Query Kombat. 64 entries in round one, 32 in round two, 16 in round three, 8 in round four, 4 in round five, and 2 in round six.

Unlike traditional tournaments, we won't be using tournament brackets. Entries will be matched up based on target audience and genre. We'll continue grouping that way until it's no longer possible.

If you secure a spot in the tournament, your query and the first 250 words of your manuscript (to the end of a complete sentence) will be pitted against another query and first 250 words. Judges will read each match-up and vote 'Victory' on the best entry. Remember, this is subjective. Considering last year, votes may come down to personal tastes.

The entry with the most ‘victories’ at the end of the round will advance to the next round until only one champion remains.

The agent round will be held after the first round. That mean the top 32 entries will make it to the agent round.

Of course, there's a twist!

The agent round will be conducted in secret. And by secret, we mean TOP SECRET. Entrants won't know who requested what—or how much—until they are eliminated from the tournament.

On the plus side, winners of the first round will be able to update their entry prior to the agent round. So any feedback the judges give can be implemented before the agents see your work.

We have 21 agents on board so far. We're hoping to double that number before the Agent Round kicks off in June so get your entries ready!

Who’s Invited to Submit:

The Query Kombat Tournament is open only to unagented writers seeking representation. Your manuscript must be complete, polished, and ready to submit. If your manuscript has been in the agent round of another major contest within the last four months, you are not eligible to participate in Query Kombat. Please don’t try to sneak in. The QK team includes about a hundred industry professionals, and a few hundred spectators. Someone will notice and inform us. If you're unsure if a contest qualifies as major, contact us through Twitter before submission.

Submissions for MG, YA, NA, and Adult works will be accepted (Sorry we aren't accepting Picture books or Chapter Books this year.). Only one entry per person. Do not attempt to submit more than one entry by using different email accounts. Again, the QK family is huge. Someone will notice.

Submissions:

The submission window will open on May 16th at 9:00 AM Eastern time and close on May 18th at Noon.

We will have email confirmation. If you don't receive it within an hour of submitting your entry, contact us via Twitter and let us know. Kontestants will be revealed on May 25th, and the tournament will kick off on June 1st.

In order to enter the contest you MUST follow formatting guidelines, and submit during the contest window. All entries that follow the follow guidelines will be considered.

For more info, visit this link.

Hope to see you in the tournament! Good luck!
jcwrites

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2018, 06:30:51 PM »

Anyone have experience with this?... Likes? Dislikes?
JBeachum

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2018, 10:37:43 PM »

Anyone have experience with this?... Likes? Dislikes?

I've never heard of it, but I'm very ignorant when it comes to pitch contests. Sounds like fun.

Repped by Marisa Corvisiero of the Corvisiero Literary Agency
Aubrey

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2018, 11:55:07 PM »

I entered in 2014, made it to the agent round. Got a few requests, but ultimately got an agent through querying. I've been a judge since, and it's a great contest. You get some great suggestions/comments on your query and first 250 words, and by the end (if you make it in), you'll have a stronger query, regardless if you get any agent requests.

I'll also say that if you do make it in, you are required to comment/crit other queries on the blog. Reading other queries and seeing what worked/what didn't really helped me write mine, as well as appreciate how important it is to make your query stand out with a few details that show how it's uniquer for the genre.

I would totally recommend entering if you have a MS ready and are already querying or to the point where you're going to start querying!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: