QueryTracker Community
July 19, 2018, 10:16:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Note: This forum uses different usernames and passwords than those of the main QueryTracker site. 
Please register if you want to post messages.

This forum is also accessible by the public (including search engines).
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Formatting Prologue in MS  (Read 1157 times)
mariseli

« on: April 09, 2018, 08:52:33 AM »

This is a minor thing, but I have a brief prologue in my MS and I was wondering if people usually insert a header above prologues, and, if so, what? It's not the first chapter, so I wouldn't be labelling it CHAPTER ONE.

The prologue is a brief newspaper article that talks about something that happens in the book nine days after the first chapter starts.
TigerAsh

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2018, 01:23:23 PM »

This is a minor thing, but I have a brief prologue in my MS and I was wondering if people usually insert a header above prologues, and, if so, what? It's not the first chapter, so I wouldn't be labelling it CHAPTER ONE.

The prologue is a brief newspaper article that talks about something that happens in the book nine days after the first chapter starts.

To answer your question, it’s up to you whether or not you put a header, which can just say PROLOGUE, DATE/TIME, CHARACTER (POV), or whatever you choose. There’s no one correct title for a prologue, and I’ve seen many prologues not have a title at all.

With that said, just make sure the prologue is necessary. Some agents/editors shy away from a book with a prologue if they find it’s not needed. I haven’t read your book so I don’t know whether or not yours is; however I noticed that you said it talks about something that happens after chapter one, so I wonder if you should somehow work it into the story (after chapter one) instead.
mariseli

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2018, 10:16:55 AM »

Thank you TigerAsh! That helps a lot--and yeah, I'm still on the fence about the prologue, but it's super short and I think it helps build mystery/suspense...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: