QueryTracker Community
May 20, 2018, 08:29:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Note: This forum uses different usernames and passwords than those of the main QueryTracker site. 
Please register if you want to post messages.

This forum is also accessible by the public (including search engines).
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Think Like Brody Quinn  (Read 422 times)
suncam

Bill Dunn

« on: April 09, 2018, 09:03:23 AM »

Think Like
Brody Quinn
Synopsis
Set in the post-war 1950s
Ten-year-old BRODY QUINN and some of his friends stand trial in Key West, Florida for organized cheating on an important nationalized IQ test, putting federal education funding for Florida in jeopardy. Before the trial begins, the world learns about “Allant,” Brody’s secret club of thinkers who develop self-reliance, self-education, and a command of science, mathematics, art, and languages through an unconventional precept called “Teach-to-Learn.” Brody and the club attract sensational media attention as the world awakens to the fact that Allant is actually a genius club and Brody is perhaps the most exceptional intellect of all time, exceeding Einstein, Newton, and even Plato. Media attention forces Allant to disband just as applications for membership begin to pour in. Included in the barrage of applicants are the children of wealthy business leaders. These wealthy applicants provide the resources to launch Think Ship, a small passenger ship home for the club and a new prep school.

Twelve-year-old PHAO HEATH is one of the new wealthy members. She owns and operates Heath Yacht Works, with the help of her grandfather, following the death of her parents. She is an expert in commerce and the architect of the scheme that gives Allant the independent funding to finance the club and the school and even pay cash dividends to the club members.

JANUARY “JAN” WINTER becomes Allant Prep’s first teacher. An Iowa farm girl, she was a gifted child, graduating high school at age 12 and earning her first master’s degree at age 14. She taught herself numerous languages while working the family farm. Her language skills proved useful when a Russian delegation of farmers visited Iowa in a diplomatic exchange.

Brody has a unique talent for helmsmanship learned at the age of eight from his father’s family of fishermen. The US Navy discovers this talent and recruits him to aid them in the development of an autopilot device by demonstrating his technique on a Navy aircraft carrier. Brody not only revolutionizes Navy helmsmanship, but he also designs the autopilot and introduces the ship’s team of engineers and scientists to his ship gyrostabilizer invention. A staunch pacifist, he goes on to work at the Navy Research Lab where he leads fellow scientists in a shift from creating weapons of war to the development of tools of defense. Navy pilots shuttle Brody everywhere and in the process teach him to fly fighter jets. He demonstrates that he is as natural at the controls of a fighter as he is at the helm of a ship.

Brody’s contribution to the US military does not escape the Russians who send spies to follow him and make repeated attempts to abduct him. He predicts that the Russians will be operating on orders to capture or kill to either acquire his talents for themselves or at least prevent the Americans from having him. The kill option is daunting because it could come in the form of a torpedo in the side of his ship or an explosion in his family home instead of a bullet meant for him alone. He is desperate to protect his family and friends, so he appeals to President Eisenhower to allow him to “give the Soviets what they want” by beginning an exchange of scientists with Russia. Even before he reaches Russia, Brody meets his antagonist, IVAN MALYSHEV SAYANOV, a former general under Stalin and current Soviet Defense Minister. The world expects Ivan to overthrow his rival, Nikita Khrushchev and assume the leadership of the Soviet Union but all that ends when Ivan learns that he is a direct descendant of the Tsar of Russia, making it certain that he will be put to death if his parentage is revealed.

Brody masterminds a plan to secret Ivan and several others out of the Soviet Union in a commandeered plane, which he lands dramatically on a carrier deck. Jan Winter plays a pivotal role in negotiating with Nikita Khrushchev to turn the entire escapade into a “Peace Trap” in which both Khrushchev and Eisenhower are bound to each other and to mutual peace.
Vortigern

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2018, 10:12:59 PM »

I read through this after a very long day. My critical thinking synapses are not all firing right now, LOL, so I didn't really notice any major issues in the story line. There might be an issue in it somewhere but if there is, I'm not seeing it. The one thing that did catch my attention was the following sentence. Looked to me like you could take out an 'and' as it didn't sound like it was needed to me.

"She is an expert in commerce and the architect of the scheme that gives Allant the independent funding to finance the club, and the school, and even pay cash dividends to the club members."

I added the comma after school. Some might say its not needed. I have the habit of using them in sentences like these.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 10:21:28 PM by Vortigern » Logged

Inspiring Imagination Between Two Worlds
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: