QueryTracker Community
May 20, 2018, 08:33:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Note: This forum uses different usernames and passwords than those of the main QueryTracker site. 
Please register if you want to post messages.

This forum is also accessible by the public (including search engines).
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Query Method  (Read 706 times)
Slicksix

« on: April 11, 2018, 12:48:27 AM »

In my year of querying, I've learned a lot, including that the current query process is outdated and ineffective.  I've proposed a new query method called "authors seeking agents wish list" (#ASAWL) and invite everyone to start using it.  Use it like a tweet for a pitch party.  Use hashtags, and go to raucouswriter dot com for rules and my rationale for starting a query revolution.  Let's do this!
koji

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2018, 02:02:46 AM »

The problem with an approach like this (and it's been done before, usually on paid sites) is that there are many many more writers than there are agents or slots on agents' rosters. The supply vastly outweighs the demand. Honestly, I would much rather find agents who style I like and who are looking for what I want and put my work in front of them rather than put it out there and hope the agent I want stumbles across it.

Maybe this model would work if your thought process is "agent, any agent," rather than the best agent for my career.

I'm not against pitch parties. Sure, have a permanent hashtag to list available MS, but it doesn't beat the option to send an in-depth explanation of my work to an agent I want to work with. In other words, querying isn't as broken as you seem to think it is.

(Also, YA is a category, not a genre)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: