QueryTracker Community
April 25, 2018, 03:39:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Note: This forum uses different usernames and passwords than those of the main QueryTracker site. 
Please register if you want to post messages.

This forum is also accessible by the public (including search engines).
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Adult sci-fi fantasy: AETHER UNLOCKED  (Read 122 times)
melissa_haegert

« on: April 14, 2018, 05:26:39 PM »

Thanks in advance for feedback!

AETHER UNLOCKED is a 130,000-word steampunk fantasy and space opera mash-up, the first installment of a completed duology. After an abduction attempt gone awry, a space soldier teams up with her target—a ballet-dancing vigilante wizard—to save both of their colliding worlds.

Tamera Glade is a paratrooper assigned to a specimen retrieval mission on a backwoods planet, stalking her target from the perimeter of an old-fashioned ballroom, a corset strapped around her combat suit. The assignment seems easy enough: grab the primitive party boy and shuttle his biologically-advanced backside up to the space station for genetic dissection. She’s in position, undercover, plotting her alien abduction—then the target asks her to dance.

Locke’s life is great: former ballet legend by day, rogue wizard by night, on a clandestine quest to rid his world of its dark magical forces. But then he recklessly asks a pretty alien to dance and flips her ensuing kidnap attempt on its head, publicly outing his vigilante alter ego. Now he’s got an entire Guild of legalistic wizards on his ass, along with the malevolent deity he’s spent the last few years imprisoning in his basement. And, for better or worse, Locke’s cute alien captive is his best hope for piecing his life back together, the perfect life she ruined by dropping by. From outer space.

Tamera plays along with their new partnership, telling herself she can haul his backside into orbit as soon as the opportunity arises. But Locke’s backside isn’t cooperating, and neither is his world’s unruly “Aether” magic, an invisible energy with a personality and a penchant for tucking itself away inside Tamera’s oblivious alien self. When Aether’s dark nemesis heads for Tamera’s space station and the freedom of the stars, Locke and Tamera must chase it across airships and spaceships to save his world, her world, and the rest of the worlds.

AETHER UNLOCKED captures the playful duo dynamics of DC’s Wonder Woman, reimagined as a clash of steampunk and space worlds, with a vivid magic system reminiscent of Brandon Sanderson’s Mistborn trilogy, and the witty energy of Gail Carriger’s Parasol Protectorate series. As co-authors we’re a dynamic duo of our own: one of us with a half dozen sci-fi manuscripts and an astronomy PhD, the other with a dozen fantasy manuscripts and only the fun half of an English major. [Personalization]
RockinRobbie

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2018, 03:26:32 PM »

I like it, especially the humor and voice. I think it's intriguing enough to generate some requests from those agents who can get past the steampunk/space opera mash-up (which you probably know is in and of itself a hard sell). My only suggestion would be linking the Tamera and Locke paragraphs together more succinctly or being more clear that Tamera is Locke's captive and Locke is Tamera's target. In other words, I'm not sure it works that Tamera and Locke have separate paragraphs about how they view each other without naming names.

Anyway, be sure to keep the humor and voice in your edits because that's definitely the strong point here!
mgmystery

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2018, 07:36:15 AM »

Assuming your ms is dual POV, I like this style of query!

I think you'd be better off to skip the first paragraph and add your word count/genre to the final paragraph. Also, the phrase a corset strapped around her combat suit could be worded differently since I imagine she's actually dressed for the ballroom--Maybe something that describes her corset loaded with combat gear? I like the way you've written the final paragraph, but I think it needs more clarification. Will the details about your names and relevant publications be in the actual query?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: