QueryTracker Community
May 20, 2018, 08:32:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Note: This forum uses different usernames and passwords than those of the main QueryTracker site. 
Please register if you want to post messages.

This forum is also accessible by the public (including search engines).
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to requery  (Read 358 times)
Hairaplenty

« on: May 07, 2018, 06:49:03 AM »

If you want to requery an agent after a major revision, how do you word that?    Huh?
mgmystery

« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2018, 08:05:34 AM »

Do you still have the agent's response to the original query? I'd remind her what she liked about it and explain that you've made significant changes and hope she'd take the time for another look. Also, if you revise quickly, I'd wait at least 3 months since the time you sent the first query. Some agents don't consider R&Rs that took less than six months.
Hannah

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2018, 02:07:35 PM »

If you want to requery an agent after a major revision, how do you word that?    Huh?

What's the situation? Did the agent show interest previously and how much time has passed? I have also read agents prefer you to wait at least 6 months before requerying them with a revised project (and if they didn't show any interest, some don't want to see the same projects again at all - depends on the agent). For wording, something along the lines of saying you queried them on x date before and have significantly revised it would work (more personalized if they've shown interest before).
Tabris

I rock!

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2018, 07:18:30 PM »

If the agent never saw the original manuscript and only rejected the query, I think you can just requery. You probably changed the title too, right?

If the agent had started reading, I'd say something like, "After receiving professional feedback, I've revised the manuscript so it's 20,000 words shorter, the conflict is very much in the forefront, the main character is no longer a goatherd, and the characters of John, Gary, and Alex have been combined into one. Would you be interested in taking a second look?"

Come visit my weblog!
Hairaplenty

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2018, 08:23:12 AM »

Helpful feedback, everyone! Thank you!    embarrassed2
jldelozier

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2018, 11:27:27 AM »

I posted this under the "Agent" header as well, but I saw this blog post today, and I think it answers your question clearly:

https://blog.nathanbransford.com/2018/04/when-to-follow-up-with-a-literary-agent
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: