QueryTracker Community
May 20, 2018, 08:34:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Note: This forum uses different usernames and passwords than those of the main QueryTracker site. 
Please register if you want to post messages.

This forum is also accessible by the public (including search engines).
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Got an Agent But It's Not Going Well  (Read 259 times)
Mimsy811

« on: May 15, 2018, 06:41:46 PM »

I thought once I had representation it would be a huge relief and that I'd be on my way into the next phase of my project... Now, nearly a year later, we still have not submitted anywhere. I revised my book proposal per agent's request. She has had it for many months and still has not given me feedback. I check in about once a month, usually takes two emails to get a reply that she'll get to it "soon." I feel discouraged and I'm wondering if anyone else has had this issue and how they handled it.  sad
jcwrites

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2018, 07:04:17 PM »

Is this the same agent you posted about last September?
Curious Author

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2018, 07:44:16 PM »

Yikes. Sounds like you might want to sever ties, especially if this is how they will be on submission.
Tabris

I rock!

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2018, 07:46:02 PM »

Dump her. I had an agent like that. Dump her now before you waste any more time.

Come visit my weblog!
slightlysmall

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2018, 09:25:19 PM »

Dump her. I had an agent like that. Dump her now before you waste any more time.

Also, your book has a lot more of a chance if you dump your agent without going on sub first. So definitely don't waste time. Find someone who will take the book to sub.

Tabris

I rock!

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2018, 06:05:23 AM »

As to how to handle it: look at your contract and review exactly how you go about terminating the agreement. Then follow those instructions to the letter.. In your termination letter, state that from this moment forward, the agent is not allowed to send the manuscript anywhere. If the agent is part of an agency, you can also send a copy to whoever manages their contracts.

You don't need to say WHY you are terminating the agreement. The agent is probably smart enough to figure it out for herself. Keep it professional. "Per paragraph 5A of our literary agency agreement dated 5/29/2017, this letter is to inform you that I am terminating our contract."

If the agency agreement stipulates that the agent has sixty days after receipt of the letter to tie up loose ends, you should ask for the agent to waive that on the grounds that there are no outstanding submissions at this time. You'll probably get that, assuming you get a response at all. (Given the agent's track record, you might not, so send the letter certified in addition to email, that way you can prove you terminated the agreement.)

If the agent waives the waiting period, then start querying right away. If not, you'll have to wait it out.

Come visit my weblog!
Spat

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2018, 01:10:25 PM »

I'm so sorry this is happening. Like you and Tabris, I was in the same boat. I let mine go on for 2 years. It is a huge waste of time and needless source of stress.

Review your contract as Tabris said. There is wording in there about termination, waiting period maybe (mine had been 3 months, but we had gone on sub, there's no reason not to make it immediate if you haven't been on sub and don't have loose ends to tie), how to initiate termination (my first agent required a written letter), etc.

Have you had a direct conversation with her? Not that you need to if you want to terminate, but you need to have that conversation if you want to work things out. I personally suggest cutting ties before any more time is wasted and definitely before an editor sees your book. You have a chance of querying agents with this book. If you had other offers, maybe even returning to those agents with the situation.

I know it's difficult. We're trained to believe that once you get an agent, things will move forward! Having an agent is better than no agent! My soul can't survive the query trenches again! But you know what? No agent is better than a bad one. No agent should treat you this way, just as an author shouldn't mistreat their agent. This is a business relationship.

There are LOTS of authors who split with agents and get new ones. They will tell you that moving on was the best decision. Like me  Hi

And you have a community here who will help you through it. <hugs> Feel free to DM me.
Mimsy811

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2018, 05:54:39 PM »

Thank you all so much for your great advice and support. I am definitely in a period of discernment about next steps and it's so nice to know I am not alone. Very grateful to all of you for your thoughtful responses!
Terri_Martin

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2018, 09:39:07 PM »

This +++++++++.
Mimsy811

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2018, 04:52:52 PM »

Update. I have severed myself from this person. Thank you all for your great advice and support. Life is too short...
Spat

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2018, 07:33:04 PM »

Hugs! I hope for the best. Are you going to re-query this book to agents?
JBeachum

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2018, 10:49:31 PM »

That sucks, but I'm glad you were able to pull the trigger. And I hope you find an agent who is a better fit for you and will do a better job working with and representing you. I'm confident that agent is out there for you.

Repped by Marisa Corvisiero of the Corvisiero Literary Agency
TigerAsh

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2018, 10:56:01 PM »

I'm glad you did what's best for you and your project, Mimsy811. I'm sure you'll find the right agent that's out there for you!  Hug
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: