QueryTracker Community
September 23, 2018, 07:46:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Note: This forum uses different usernames and passwords than those of the main QueryTracker site. 
Please register if you want to post messages.

This forum is also accessible by the public (including search engines).
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Manuscript is in!  (Read 941 times)
Waterfall

« on: May 20, 2018, 09:25:57 AM »

I've just spent the last two weeks responding to peer-reviewers' reports on my nonfiction book Contingent: The Cruel Ecology of the College Faculty's Underclass. My editor at the University of Chicago Press shoved the deadline for revisions way forward, because her marketing team wants to feature the book in the Spring 2019 catalog. So the MS went in on Friday. Now it'll be a couple of months of line-editing, a couple of months of silence, a month to prepare the index, a couple more months of silence, and then writing articles for the higher ed community starting in February to pave the way for the book's release in March. They were terrific with the last book, and I'm super grateful for their whole team. When the marketing team is on board, you've got a chance. Thumbs Up

Now if only they published fiction...
NextChapter

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2018, 12:30:47 PM »

clap  clap  clap  clap  clap
Congrats!
woo woo woo
007 fan

Eye right store ease.

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2018, 06:18:32 PM »

Congrats!  clap

writer                                                                          Computer Basher
jldelozier

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2018, 07:30:42 PM »

Hurray!
JBeachum

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2018, 03:25:33 PM »

clap

Repped by Marisa Corvisiero of the Corvisiero Literary Agency
MookyMcD

"hilarious and offensive and usually accurate"

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2018, 12:36:15 AM »

That's awesome. Crossing a deadline like that (especially when it gets moved up on you) is a great feeling. toast

I put the nati in Illuminati
michaeljmcdonagh.wordpress.com
Tigerlily1066

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2018, 08:24:34 AM »

What a wonderful milestone! Congrats, Waterfall, and best of luck with the launch!
Waterfall

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2018, 11:12:36 AM »

Thanks, everyone.

One funny thing to report is that my editor sent the MS out for four reader reports, three of which were positive and one curmudgeonly. But Readers #1 and #3 (they're blind reviews) both loved the tone of the book, even as they described it in entirely different terms.
  • Reader 1—There are plenty of critical accounts of adjuncts our there readily accessible on Google.  What marks this book off from the rest is that it’s a full-throated rant.  The writing is at different times and the same time brilliant, funny, angry, and ironic.  It informs the reader, engages the reader, infuriates the reader, entertains the reader, and never lets the reader off the hook, from the brilliant Prologue to the compelling Aftermath.
  • Reader 3—It’s a comprehensive and necessary argument, and it’s written with real zing.  Even so, the rhetoric has a disciplined coolness: it wasn’t until the very end of the book that I learned that the author is among those who suffers from lingering emotional injury at the hands of the system that he describes so well—and it is much to his credit that until that point, I wasn’t certain of the exact nature of his personal investment.
So it's either a "full-throated rant" or written with "disciplined coolness." Take your pick. And we wonder why writers go crazy...
JBeachum

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2018, 11:17:29 AM »

Thanks, everyone.

One funny thing to report is that my editor sent the MS out for four reader reports, three of which were positive and one curmudgeonly. But Readers #1 and #3 (they're blind reviews) both loved the tone of the book, even as they described it in entirely different terms.
  • Reader 1—There are plenty of critical accounts of adjuncts our there readily accessible on Google.  What marks this book off from the rest is that it’s a full-throated rant.  The writing is at different times and the same time brilliant, funny, angry, and ironic.  It informs the reader, engages the reader, infuriates the reader, entertains the reader, and never lets the reader off the hook, from the brilliant Prologue to the compelling Aftermath.
  • Reader 3—It’s a comprehensive and necessary argument, and it’s written with real zing.  Even so, the rhetoric has a disciplined coolness: it wasn’t until the very end of the book that I learned that the author is among those who suffers from lingering emotional injury at the hands of the system that he describes so well—and it is much to his credit that until that point, I wasn’t certain of the exact nature of his personal investment.
So it's either a "full-throated rant" or written with "disciplined coolness." Take your pick. And we wonder why writers go crazy...

Yeah, but they both sound cool. If you put your reviews together, it makes for a pretty good buddy-cop premise.

Repped by Marisa Corvisiero of the Corvisiero Literary Agency
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: