QueryTracker Community
September 23, 2018, 06:54:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Note: This forum uses different usernames and passwords than those of the main QueryTracker site. 
Please register if you want to post messages.

This forum is also accessible by the public (including search engines).
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My computer, or have some features disappeared from the QT forum?  (Read 676 times)
Munley

Mr. Fluff -- from the SPCA

« on: June 08, 2018, 04:25:36 AM »

Got on the forum this morning and didn't see, above the forum sections, the options:

----   show new posts since show last visit

----   show new replies to your posts

Also, noticed that my profile picture isn't there either, though it does appear on my posts within threads. Now I'm wondering if it was ever at the top of the home page or I'm remembering wrong.

See screen shot in file below.

E. T .A.

Since writing the note above, I discovered that if I go to my browser (Firefox) address window and type in the letter Q,
the list of recent sites visited includes the one for QT posts since last visit, as well as QT's "show new replies to your posts." So I can get to them that way. Just can't get those choices from within the QT Forum now.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 07:53:55 AM by Munley » Logged
Munley

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2018, 08:34:15 PM »

Is anyone else having this problem?
007 fan

Eye right store ease.

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2018, 10:07:10 PM »

Now I'm wondering if it was ever at the top of the home page or I'm remembering wrong.

You aren't remembering wrong. Your profile pic should be at the top left, and the following should be to the right of it....

Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.
Total time logged in: 59 days, 15 hours and 47 minutes.

Is anyone else having this problem?

I'm not. Maybe try what Patrick suggested I try when I had a time I couldn't log out. I'm not sure if my thread is in this forum or nearby. Wherever it is, it should be on the first page.

writer                                                                          Computer Basher
Munley

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2018, 10:20:49 PM »

007 Fan:
Try what Patrick suggested?

I don't see a reply from Patrick suggesting anything. Yours is the only reply.

Either I'm being gaslightled by a glitch or really going mad.

Oh, I think I misunderstood. You must mean something Patrick suggested regarding a problem you had.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 10:42:42 PM by Munley » Logged
007 fan

Eye right store ease.

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2018, 11:12:21 PM »

Oh, I think I misunderstood. You must mean something Patrick suggested regarding a problem you had.

Yep. I just checked, and my thread is in the second page of this forum..."can't log out". Whatever he'd suggested for me might reset things for you.

ETA: Just checked what he said. If that doesn't fix it, try clearing your cookies/cache on your computer.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 11:18:02 PM by 007 fan » Logged

writer                                                                          Computer Basher
Munley

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2018, 04:58:17 AM »

Thanks, but neither the shift/refresh worked nor restarting the browser.

Tried a different browser (Ms Edge), but had the same problem as I do in Firefox. This problem may have occurred because of a lengthy Microsoft update of my computer that went through a series of re-starts. But only the QT forums page, as far as I can tell, has changed.

I won't clear all the cache and cookies. Last time I did that to solve a problem on some web page, all of my information for all financial transactions got screwed up. Both spouse and I have home businesses. We could no longer log on to any banks or credit cards or PayPal right off. We had to answer security questions and/or go check our email for a newly sent access code for every related login to re-establish recognition of this computer as private and really ours. A very time-consuming pain.

I'd rather live with this QT glitch. But thanks for the suggestions.
007 fan

Eye right store ease.

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2018, 05:42:36 AM »

Ah. Okay. No clearing that stuff out.

The only other things I can think of (not a computer expert, at all) is if you are accessing QT through a saved link, try accessing the site from your search bar instead. Log out of QT first, then type in querytracker forums and enter your password once site comes up. If that works (things you are missing are back), then delete the link you have for QT and set a new one. I read that you tried a different browser, but I'm not sure if that means you didn't have access to your saved links.

The other thing is if you never turn your computer completely off (you just doing restarts or putting it to sleep), you can try that. Sometimes my Word on my laptop for writing will work weird or crash because I only put the computer to sleep when it's not in use, and a complete shutdown always fixes it. I just leave it off off for a few minutes. Doing that works for my internet computer too, when it has little glitches.

Patrick must be on vacation or something...maybe he'll know what else you can try once he's back.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 04:22:05 PM by 007 fan » Logged

Terri_Martin

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2018, 05:41:14 PM »

Just to the right of the date/time line (top left under "Simple Machines Forum") is either a small + or – sign you've probably never noticed before.

If there's a + sign, click it. When the – sign is accidentally clicked (or you have a rogue trackpad like I do), the functions you're missing go away.
Munley

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2018, 11:20:21 PM »

Just to the right of the date/time line (top left under "Simple Machines Forum") is either a small + or – sign you've probably never noticed before.

If there's a + sign, click it. When the – sign is accidentally clicked (or you have a rogue trackpad like I do), the functions you're missing go away.

Clicking the +sign worked!  Dancing Banana

You're right. I never noticed that before. Thanks!
Terri_Martin

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2018, 10:32:43 AM »

That's a feature (or possibly a bug Grin ) of the Simple Machines software, I suspect to save screen real estate. It used to happen a lot on the Blueboards (SCBWI writer's forum). Nobody ever remembered clicking the minus sign to tell it to go away, either. Sometimes stuff just happens, you know?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: