QueryTracker Community
June 24, 2018, 02:00:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Note: This forum uses different usernames and passwords than those of the main QueryTracker site. 
Please register if you want to post messages.

This forum is also accessible by the public (including search engines).
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Belated Introduction  (Read 204 times)
RockWhitehouse

« on: June 13, 2018, 12:57:37 PM »

Hi All -

I've been chatting up more than my share of bandwidth around here already but just noticed the 'New Users' section last night.

I joined the Air Force after high school and did technical intelligence work in the National Security Agency Headquarters at Fort Meade, Maryland and elsewhere. After the Air Force I completed a B.S. in Biology, with certification in Medical Technology. I worked in a hospital lab for 8 years, first doing testing, then managing and writing software for the laboratory’s information system. From there I moved into the laboratory software industry where I worked for almost 30 years.

I have been married 39 years (this Saturday), with 2 daughters and 3.5 grandchildren. I am an instrument-rated private pilot.

My wife retired after 35 years of music teaching in 2014, I followed in 2015.

I am unpublished except for an arcane article in a lab publication back in the '80s and a travel report in the Cessna Pilot's Association magazine in 2016 about bringing my just-bought 1964 Cessna 210 from west of Seattle back here to Cleveland. In January. So, yeah, unpublished.

I've completed the first of a three-book series which I am now querying. It's been an iterative, sometimes painful, process with feedback from readers and comments on this forum and elsewhere.

Thanks already for your constructive comments and I look forward to the back and forth of commenting and being commented upon. One of my favorite quotes is from Wilbur Wright:

No truth is without some mixture of error, and no error so false but that it possesses some elements of truth. If a man is in too big a hurry to give up an error he is liable to give up some truth with it, and in accepting the arguments of the other man he is sure to get some error with it. Honest argument is merely a process of mutually picking the beams and motes out of each others eyes so both can see clearly. Men become wise just as they become rich, more by what they save than by what they receive. After I get hold of a truth I hate to lose it again, and I like to sift all the truth out before I give up an error.

-Rock

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Edison
GLZyx

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 03:00:42 PM »

Hi Welcome Hi

I've completed the first of a three-book series which I am now querying.

Details wink2
RockWhitehouse

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 09:05:24 PM »

Details...ok...well...without just posting the synopsis...This is a near-future SF where a practical faster-than-light drive was invented around 2055. Our exploration for mining resources causes us to encounter a peaceful, friendly alien species. Hakuna mata, kum ba yah, yada yada yada.

Then the bad aliens come and wreck everything so we have to go find them and kick their, um, arse. Assuming (see how I got that in?) they have one.

The first book starts when our friends are attacked by an unknown enemy. We're caught up in it as one of our ships is destroyed as well. The book's action revolves around our young hero and heroine as the fleet tries to figure out what happened and who this enemy is. As we search we find another 'war crime' by this same enemy, this one a genocide. The second book will be the process of identifying the enemy's source and starting to push them back from our space. We also learn more about the dead culture and what the enemy wants and why the culture was murdered. This process will not be without it's losses. The last book will be, um, the third one.

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Edison
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: