QueryTracker Community
September 22, 2018, 12:34:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Note: This forum uses different usernames and passwords than those of the main QueryTracker site. 
Please register if you want to post messages.

This forum is also accessible by the public (including search engines).
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A question re agents and book changes  (Read 865 times)
Kp2710

« on: June 16, 2018, 08:07:16 AM »

Hi all,

I'm in the process of writing my first fiction novel. So far, so good. Just wondering how "perfect" does it need to be for an agent to take on? I know no manuscript is perfect, but clearly some will be better than others . I'm a sub editor by profession so am fine regarding sentence structure, pacing and grammar, but I'm not convinced my story is strong enough and am sure my writing could be improved.

Are agents happy to take on a client knowing significant changes may be needed.? Will they guide a client in this?

Thanks in advance

NextChapter

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2018, 12:33:07 PM »

If you were an agent, you would look for the most polished manuscript that needed the least amount of work from you, while still being a book that captures the imagination and compels the reader to stay up late reading. There is so much competition. If you have any doubts, find a critique partner, or shelve it for at least a week before looking at it with fresh eyes. Yes, there will always be room for improvement, but as a debut author, if you want to be noticed by an agent, your manuscript should be very nearly perfect.
Kp2710

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2018, 01:17:43 PM »

Thank you, great advice.

I will aim for as near perfect as I can make it, even if that means it takes longer than I hoped it would. Smiley

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: