QueryTracker Community
September 22, 2018, 12:08:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Note: This forum uses different usernames and passwords than those of the main QueryTracker site. 
Please register if you want to post messages.

This forum is also accessible by the public (including search engines).
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Grammerly worth it?  (Read 855 times)
Voxeterna1

« on: June 27, 2018, 08:46:38 AM »

Another writer friend recently recommended Grammarly to me. I've never used it before, but from my understanding it's a service that detects a whole host of grammatical issues within your work. I'm generally decent with grammar, but I have a big-time issue with passive voice. I understand what it is, and I'm just fine at seeing it in other people's work, but when it comes to my own writing I have difficulty finding it. And not because it isn't there- it IS, but because I know what I mean to say, I don't realize that I'm saying it "incorrectly".

So, is Grammarly worth the cost? What experiences, both  positive and negative, have people had with this serivce? Are there any lower or no cost services that could do the same thing?

Thanks everybody!   
Munley

Mr. Fluff -- from the SPCA

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2018, 09:16:50 AM »

Though I'm not familiar with the Grammarly program, I wouldn't relay on one to get passive voice right.

I've seen so many so-called grammar programs and writers' blogs and agents' blogs be completely wrong about what passive voice is while they advise writers to go looking for it and eliminate it in their work. Bad advice.

Better to advise writers to understand when passive voice is the appropriate choice.

Here is a link to an older QueryTracker thread that explains what I mean:

https://querytracker.net/forum/index.php?topic=21755.0

P

I have seen so many "grammar" progr
Voxeterna1

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2018, 09:23:36 AM »

Thanks Munly! I definitely wouldn't rely solely on a program for the editing. And your link provides some really helpful advice.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: