QueryTracker Community
November 18, 2018, 09:19:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Note: This forum uses different usernames and passwords than those of the main QueryTracker site. 
Please register if you want to post messages.

This forum is also accessible by the public (including search engines).
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Authors 4 Authors Publishing?  (Read 1143 times)
ElvenLight

« on: July 03, 2018, 12:18:31 PM »

I recently got a request for my book on #sffpit from Renee Frey, a founder of Authors 4 Authors Publishing. I got a request for my full from them today (yay!) but I was curious about them. They look brand new, and I think they were founded earlier this year, but if anyone has any info about them, I’d love to hear it. Their website is kind of vague.
koji

« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2018, 02:15:26 PM »

Personally, I would be wary of them. To me it seems like a lot of these groups of authors are popping up that want to "help other authors." In general, these people only seem to have the ability to offer what you could do on your own when self-publishing while taking a significant cut of the royalties. (As opposed to a one-time fee for things such as editing or cover design). Also, if editing is one of the things they are offering, I caught at least one mistake on their website, and anytime I catch a mistake on a site of a company offering editing services I am wary. Perhaps the social marketing is worth it, but I can't see how when none of them seem to have a record of sales and there is only one listed author besides them.

I got a like from a very similar sounding group (Ant Press) in a past pitch contest, and decided if I am going to go the self-pub route, I might as well do it on my own and keep all of my royalties.

Again, not to say anything bad because I don't have any experience with them. But I would seriously consider:

- What expertise are they bringing to the table? Do they have more experience in the publishing industry than you? Do they have a history of success?
- What are they offering that you can't do on your own? Is it worth it to divide your royalties or would you rather pay a one-time fee for these things.
ElvenLight

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2018, 03:13:49 PM »

Thanks. I got a few bad vibes from them when I studied their website further. I don’t think I’ll be submitting my full to them. The fact that they don’t have any publishing experience is worrying all on its own. They seem like they’re a bit too eager just to start their list of published books more than anything else.
jcwrites

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2018, 03:39:12 PM »

Authors4Authors' (A4A) website says the company has three principals. Their publishing credits consist of inclusion in fantasy anthologies published by Rowanwood Publishing LLC.

Rowanwood itself is a "micropublisher" with, at present, six titles to its credit: five fantasy anthologies and one novel, all either written or edited by its co-owners. Rowandwood appears to have gotten its seed money from Kickstarter. The business model relies on ebooks and print-on-demand.

There's no apparent link between A4A and Rowanwood; but my guess is, A4A is patterning itself after the publisher its principals used, which means ebook and print-on-demand. (Their website doesn't say.)

A4A lists no titles of its own.

A4A's website says its authors can "...help with cover selection... and other production decisions" and can draw promotional support from "authors helping authors" and from "...access to our network of blog tours, Facebook launch parties...."

Blog tours?... Facebook launch parties?

(btw, A4A also offers turn-key self-publishing services.)

Final note: A4A's site lists one "featured author" but Amazon shows no hits for anyone by that name.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: