QueryTracker Community
October 17, 2018, 09:11:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Note: This forum uses different usernames and passwords than those of the main QueryTracker site. 
Please register if you want to post messages.

This forum is also accessible by the public (including search engines).
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: those heartbreaking timelines  (Read 509 times)
NextChapter

« on: July 08, 2018, 06:06:59 PM »

I tend to overthink stuff. Always. Ever since I was very little. And now I am very old. But . . .

Every time I look at the part of an agent's timeline for submission requests, and I see no response for manuscripts sent months, even years ago, it makes me sad, and a little bit angry. The author had such high hopes, and the agent didn't even respond after specifically requesting more pages. It is almost too much to bear.

The only glimmer of hope is the occasional purple happy face for an offer of representation. Those make my heart jump. Oh, if only one day that could be me!

Does anyone else feel the hope and despair?
Tabris

I rock!

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2018, 06:07:02 AM »

You could make it even more hopeless: the writer simply stopped updating the spreadsheet after giving up on ever getting an agent. (Although that could be awesome too. Maybe the author is pulling down five figures a month with indie publishing and doesn't feel like an agent would add anything to the fun.) ;-)

Come visit my weblog!
GLZyx

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2018, 06:58:13 AM »

You could make it even more hopeless: the writer simply stopped updating the spreadsheet after giving up on ever getting an agent. (Although that could be awesome too. Maybe the author is pulling down five figures a month with indie publishing and doesn't feel like an agent would add anything to the fun.) ;-)

Maybe they got the deal and didn't update? Optimism wins.
Catharina S

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2018, 02:20:49 PM »

Maybe they got the deal and didn't update? Optimism wins.

I like to think so!

I've queried an agent who seems to get a lot of submissions in her slush pile and she also answers almost every one of them. In the last 30 days she has answered every one but mine, both those submitted before and after me. I keep thinking perhaps she reserves a few which she is seriously considering before issuing a request or a rejection, and perhaps I am one of those moderately fortunate few. But doubt nags, and I also fear it has been lost or accidentally deleted!
eleonora

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2018, 10:59:26 PM »

If you're watching QT, note that not all writers update status reports. Take some of these pieces as a grain of salt--keep querying, and keep WRITING. Keep practicing, learning, reading.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: