QueryTracker Community
December 15, 2018, 12:49:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Note: This forum uses different usernames and passwords than those of the main QueryTracker site. 
Please register if you want to post messages.

This forum is also accessible by the public (including search engines).
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Author Website Survey  (Read 2253 times)
koji

« on: July 10, 2018, 09:55:39 AM »

I know a few of us have been posting our new author websites for review/comment. My company is planning to develop WordPress themes specifically for book authors. I would love to get your opinions on what you would like in a WordPress theme as a writer (either published and selling books or unpublished).

Here is a survey I've created:

https://www.paiyakproducts.com/2018/07/10/author-website-trends/

Or, if you aren't interested in surveys, I would love to hear (right here) what you think is important in an author website. (We can create a thread to help people who are considering building their websites with ideas for interesting things to include or what to leave out).

I'll start-

On my site, I am focusing on agents rather than readers at the moment. I have pages for each of my WIPs, with an aesthetic and pseudo-query. Instead of a blog, I have links to my medium writing, which is more of my creative non-fiction. On my about me page, I include why writing is important to me and a bio, as well as what genres I write in and which authors have influenced me. I also link to my twitter feed and what I am currently reading on GoodReads. Other than that I just have a contact form. I prefer to keep my website simple and clean right now.
jcwrites

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2018, 01:01:16 PM »

The link didn't work.
koji

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2018, 01:31:31 PM »

It works for me- can you elaborate? What error do you get? What browser are you using?
slightlysmall

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2018, 01:38:59 PM »

Filled out the survey, but it has a few errors/glitches. Some questions, like "what do you think are some problems authors have in building a website," I think should be squares for multiple options to check, rather than just one. Any question with "other" has three places with "other" but they are circle questions so you can only fill in one. And in your "what should an author website have?" contact form is on there twice.

But in general I think you did a good job with it.

My site at the moment is geared toward getting editing clients, but now that I'm published in a few places, I have a submenu under my About where my own writing is published. So far blogs and an article, but I have an ebook forthcoming from the Editorial Freelancers Association, and sometime next year I'll expand that ebook, change it, and likely self-publish it and sell it from my website.

http://www.rochelledeans.com

jcwrites

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2018, 01:59:59 PM »

It works for me- can you elaborate? What error do you get? What browser are you using?

Here's the message I get:

This site can’t be reached

The webpage at https://www.paiyakproducts.com/2018/07/10/author-website-trends/ might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address.
ERR_SPDY_INADEQUATE_TRANSPORT_SECURITY

------

I'm using Chrome Version 49.0.2623.112 (64-bit) on Mac OS X 10.7.5 (which is old on top of older)
koji

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2018, 11:32:40 PM »

Filled out the survey, but it has a few errors/glitches. Some questions, like "what do you think are some problems authors have in building a website," I think should be squares for multiple options to check, rather than just one. Any question with "other" has three places with "other" but they are circle questions so you can only fill in one. And in your "what should an author website have?" contact form is on there twice.

But in general I think you did a good job with it.

My site at the moment is geared toward getting editing clients, but now that I'm published in a few places, I have a submenu under my About where my own writing is published. So far blogs and an article, but I have an ebook forthcoming from the Editorial Freelancers Association, and sometime next year I'll expand that ebook, change it, and likely self-publish it and sell it from my website.

http://www.rochelledeans.com

Thank you for pointing those things out. I will have to go in and make some changes on it.

You seem to have an interesting set up- I wonder how many authors start with a website for something else (whether a blog or a product/service site and then integrate books into it as they start writing them. It is an approach I hadn't considered yet.
koji

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2018, 03:54:07 AM »

Here's the message I get:

This site can’t be reached

The webpage at https://www.paiyakproducts.com/2018/07/10/author-website-trends/ might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address.
ERR_SPDY_INADEQUATE_TRANSPORT_SECURITY

------

I'm using Chrome Version 49.0.2623.112 (64-bit) on Mac OS X 10.7.5 (which is old on top of older)

I looked into it and it is probably throwing the error due to the old version of Chrome you are running. Unfortunately there is nothing I can do about it besides to recommend you update your chrome (for your own security) or try another browser.

Smiley
Waterfall

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2018, 09:07:09 AM »

Hi, Koji.

Just checked it out, and found the questionnaire interesting and easy to complete. I noticed the same two items that slightlysmall did even before I read her comments, so there's two votes for multiple options on that question.

I have a current Wordpress website, built specifically to support my last book (2016). Now that my new book is coming out next spring, I'll need to build a new site that encompasses all my stuff, both nonfiction and fiction. And I'm completely dreading the whole process, from buying the domain through having to go through the Wordpress registration and all that. The actual work within Wordpress, the setting up of pages and page types, the loading of content... that's all pretty intuitive. But the logistics behind it are dreadful, the kind of things that are easy once you've done them two dozen times and impossible to figure out with certainty on the first or second.

I'll add one thing here in public that I said on your questionnaire. One of the things I'd love to do and don't know how is to be able to host files on a Wordpress website for reader download. I have a ton of moderate-length work like commentaries and short stories that I'd like to post for free. They're longer than blog posts, though, and so I'd like to be able to have .pdfs for download. Any thoughts?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: