QueryTracker Community
January 20, 2019, 07:00:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Note: This forum uses different usernames and passwords than those of the main QueryTracker site. 
Please register if you want to post messages.

This forum is also accessible by the public (including search engines).
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: outrageous rejections  (Read 3777 times)
Tabris

I rock!

« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2018, 06:02:33 AM »

Gosh, I'd query all the male agents who'd been around for fifteen years, hoping to figure out who it was! I mean, now that you know the agent is trying to be hurtful, what's the letter going to do other than make you laugh?

(Any agent younger than, say, 35 is probably not the same person, so query those without hesitation. But probably an agent who'd be that awful in a rejection was in the process of burning out, and bet me that spiteful agent went to "no response means no" as one of the first adopters.)

Come visit my weblog!
Sprinkledcone

« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2018, 01:30:50 PM »

Yeah...it was awful and I was going through one of the worst periods in my life, personally. So...yeah, I know not to take it personally.

I have a few male agents on my list...so I'm putting on my big girl pants this time Smiley
rainyrain2015

« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2018, 11:48:57 AM »

I've gotten some great responses, thankfully, but 2 kind of strange and annoying responses from queries:

One agent emailed me to say "I am currently closed to queries."
LOL! But you take the time to send me an email??? I replied that I didn't see that in the area I looked (it didn't say currently closed). The tone was scolding/sharp. My only thought was -- well maybe she didn't want me to think she'd read and rejected my query. Idk

The second one -- I carefully followed ALL the submission guidelines and we are often lectured *not* to send material not requested but the agent replies to my query saying: "to even consider this you would need to send me the first 10 pages. Feel free to requery again."
WTF?? Not in your guidelines! Why not just say, "hello, can you please send me the first 10 pages?" I don't get the fact that I need to "re-query." If you want it that way as an agent, it's not hard to list that in your submission guidelines. Why make me "re-query"? I found it weird and decided she was weird and persnickety/power trip and I would *not* be submitting. I'm like, life is too short for me to turn around and "re-query" only to what? have her reject it! NO thank you. Or request it and me questioning in the back of my mind her communication skills!

Querying is a b1tch -- hang in there all!
Tabris

I rock!

« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2018, 12:37:54 PM »

"to even consider this you would need to send me the first 10 pages. Feel free to requery again."

That's a misplaced modifier to start with. "To have this considered, YOU would need to send..."  Right? Because "To consider this, you would need..." means that you're the one doing the considering. Or, "To consider this, I would need the first ten pages."

So that's one detail. Second is, "requery again" is kinda redundant, no? Either you requery or you query again. Unless this was itself a requery. lol

I probably would have done as you did. If that's how the working relationship begins, when everyone's theoretically on their best behavior, I'd hate to see what happened the first time the publication process hit a snag.

Come visit my weblog!
kaperton

« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2018, 12:43:23 PM »

The second one -- I carefully followed ALL the submission guidelines and we are often lectured *not* to send material not requested but the agent replies to my query saying: "to even consider this you would need to send me the first 10 pages. Feel free to requery again."
WTF?? Not in your guidelines! Why not just say, "hello, can you please send me the first 10 pages?" I don't get the fact that I need to "re-query." If you want it that way as an agent, it's not hard to list that in your submission guidelines. Why make me "re-query"? I found it weird and decided she was weird and persnickety/power trip and I would *not* be submitting. I'm like, life is too short for me to turn around and "re-query" only to what? have her reject it! NO thank you. Or request it and me questioning in the back of my mind her communication skills!

That is so rude! Some agents come across as so picky and grumpy even in their MSWL profiles. "Don't send me anything about snakes, children, or gardening. Don't bother with romances unless everyone dies at the end!" I do get how being an agent could get annoying, but this is your face to the public. Be grumpy behind closed doors and put on your nice face for the public.

I avoid those.
rainyrain2015

« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2018, 01:57:03 PM »

"to even consider this you would need to send me the first 10 pages. Feel free to requery again."

That's a misplaced modifier to start with. "To have this considered, YOU would need to send..."  Right? Because "To consider this, you would need..." means that you're the one doing the considering. Or, "To consider this, I would need the first ten pages."

So that's one detail. Second is, "requery again" is kinda redundant, no? Either you requery or you query again. Unless this was itself a requery. lol

I probably would have done as you did. If that's how the working relationship begins, when everyone's theoretically on their best behavior, I'd hate to see what happened the first time the publication process hit a snag.

Exactly! Plus, how do you respond? I felt I would sound argumentative if I said, "here's my 'requery' but your guidelines did not ask for the first 10. Then it's tit for tat. What the heck is a requery anyway? A new form of query hell? Well, here's my "requery" not a query and here's the 10 pages you didn't request! LOL. How about this? No thank you!  no
rainyrain2015

« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2018, 01:58:16 PM »

That is so rude! Some agents come across as so picky and grumpy even in their MSWL profiles. "Don't send me anything about snakes, children, or gardening. Don't bother with romances unless everyone dies at the end!" I do get how being an agent could get annoying, but this is your face to the public. Be grumpy behind closed doors and put on your nice face for the public.

I avoid those.

Exactly! Omg, you made me laugh! My favorite are the #mswl that are like "it's fall. I'm in the mood for something about hot apple cider and falling leaves." I'm like ummm maybe you should go to Starbucks? Haha
Catharina S

« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2018, 07:34:05 PM »

I avoid those.

Exactly! Omg, you made me laugh! My favorite are the #mswl that are like "it's fall. I'm in the mood for something about hot apple cider and falling leaves." I'm like ummm maybe you should go to Starbucks? Haha

And then you'd have to wonder just how long that mood will last? Long enough for you to get to my manuscript in the slush pile? Or will it be "peppermint and hot chocolate" by that point?
rainyrain2015

« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2019, 08:22:04 AM »

Rofl3 Rofl3
Waterfall

« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2019, 10:20:59 AM »

We've moved off-topic from outrageous rejections a little, but I can't resist adding my favorite #mswl:

How about how about a work of literary fiction set at an elephant rescue park in Thailand, through the eyes of the people trying to save elephants and change the treatment of animals?

Dude, if you've got a great idea for a book, you need to write the #*&@^ing book! You've kind of gone past the point of general area of interest and you're now commissioning a work for hire.
kaperton

« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2019, 01:47:46 PM »

We've moved off-topic from outrageous rejections a little, but I can't resist adding my favorite #mswl:

How about how about a work of literary fiction set at an elephant rescue park in Thailand, through the eyes of the people trying to save elephants and change the treatment of animals?

Dude, if you've got a great idea for a book, you need to write the #*&@^ing book! You've kind of gone past the point of general area of interest and you're now commissioning a work for hire.

OMG, I am dying! That is so funny! Can we start a new thread called "outrageous #mswl"?
Tabris

I rock!

« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2019, 06:05:47 PM »

And can you imagine if someone actually writes this work and then the agent rejects it because it's just such a narrow subject area and he can't think of an editor who wants it?

Come visit my weblog!
Waterfall

« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2019, 11:18:06 AM »

And can you imagine if someone actually writes this work and then the agent rejects it because it's just such a narrow subject area and he can't think of an editor who wants it?

Poetic justice for everyone except the hapless writer. 'Twas ever thus.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: