QueryTracker Community
November 19, 2018, 05:58:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Note: This forum uses different usernames and passwords than those of the main QueryTracker site. 
Please register if you want to post messages.

This forum is also accessible by the public (including search engines).
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TOO CLOSE TO THE WIND - Synopsis feedback please …  (Read 397 times)
RichardAttree

« on: August 28, 2018, 05:51:18 AM »

Here’s the Synopsis for my 97K debut novel: TOO CLOSE TO THE WIND which blends adventure with literary elements.

After many hours and eight versions(some of which may be useful if anybody needs to see a longer synopsis) I finally arrived at this 573 word version. What do you think? Can I make any more cuts? …
——————————————————————————————
NICK is on the run, living like a ghost in the Canary Islands, escaping his problems by windsurfing. When his rig falls apart, like his life, he finds himself drifting out into the Atlantic, hope receding with the coastline. Miraculously, a yacht appears and saves his life. But there’s a price to pay …
The owner, an enigmatic figure known to his crew as THE MASTER, is the leader of a shadowy cult. He offers Nick a way out of his stalled life—a new identity, money, and a letter to deliver to the Dominican Republic.

Nick finds NICOLE, in an impoverished pueblo. They’re soulmates and become lovers. Nick is no longer an outsider. He’s welcomed into Nicole’s community, teaches the local kids to windsurf, and builds a new life with her.
But then she disappears, leaving only the letter he delivered exactly one year ago. It reveals the shocking truth—the year they shared was ordered by the Master—to fulfil her contract with him! Now Nick must return to Australia and confront his past.

A strange old Aboriginal fella is waiting for Nick in his home town, with instructions from the Master—find the people he betrayed, put things right, and then help MANDU’s tribe. Nick leads a campaign to protect their land and the psychoactive cactus Plant they’ve used for centuries. But the government outlaws the Plant and Nick ends up in prison. The Master bails him out and sends him on a final mission—to Dublin.

The captain of his yacht, PABLO, gives Nick a journal by the Master’s father. In this story-within-the-story LUDWIG LANGER chronicles the Group’s origins in 1930s Germany, his affair with CAITLIN O’CONNOR, and their son MARTYN. The Nazis arrest Caitlin. She dies in Dachau, but Ludwig escapes. He leaves Martyn with Caitlin’s family in Ireland, and flees to Buenos Aires, where ALEJANDRO (the Master), is born. Ludwig eventually takes his own life, leaving everything to Alejandro—if he continues his father’s work.

In Dublin Pablo gives Nick a gun and takes him to meet Martyn. Alejandro’s half-brother, a former IRA commander, tells Nick about ‘The Troubles’, and the fault-line dividing their family. Nick fears this final mission will involve an assassination.
Pablo takes Nick to Caitlin’s home near the spectacular Cliffs of Moher. Alejandro is waiting for him there. He’s aged terribly and inherited his father’s terminal dementia. He gives Nick his will. If Nick can pass one final test he’ll inherit everything—his wealth, yacht, leadership of the Group.
At the cliff edge Nick realises it’s Alejandro he must assassinate. Instead, he hands Alejandro the gun and walks away. There’s a gunshot. Nick turns back. Alejandro is no longer there. Nick tears up the will and throws the pieces to the wind.
Finally he’s free of the puppet master’s strings. He challenges the ocean once more by windsurfing the huge waves at the foot of the cliffs and nearly drowns—again! He’s a survivor, but now he must find his own mission.

The epilogue takes us full circle, back to El Médano. One year later. MIKE, the shaper at ‘WHY Custom WaveBoards’, is about to go windsurfing when, with a shock, he recognises the board he made for Nick—the Ozzie dude who drowned two years ago! Now it seems his board has returned to haunt the town. Its unique logo confronts Mike with a simple rhetorical question: “WHY?”

Sprinkledcone

« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2018, 02:53:09 PM »

I know this is well after the fact (and I'm terrible at writing a synopsis) but this is a really interesting premise!
RichardAttree

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2018, 04:50:10 AM »

I know this is well after the fact (and I'm terrible at writing a synopsis) but this is a really interesting premise!
Thanks for the encouragement. As you say, coming up with a synopsis is hell. I sweated buckets over it. Funnily enough, I probably won't need it now as I'm more than likely to self publish this novel - reason being: it's so much aimed at a niche market (my fellow tribe of English speaking windsurfers) and I can market it myself to them (as the world's first windsurfing novel).

I saw it as a technical exercise and I learned a lot from doing it ... which may well come in useful for the next one.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: