QueryTracker Community
December 15, 2018, 12:54:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Note: This forum uses different usernames and passwords than those of the main QueryTracker site. 
Please register if you want to post messages.

This forum is also accessible by the public (including search engines).
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Just some comments on using the QT Data Explorer and Agent's Timeline  (Read 842 times)
Munley

Mr. Fluff -- from the SPCA

« on: October 12, 2018, 06:05:09 AM »

"Timeline" and "Data Explorer" have a lot more information on agent responses for much longer periods of time than the "Comments" section, which has other interesting information, such as  what some author's request invitation or rejection actually said. I hope that people who note their submission/response/result dates in the Comments section also enter that data on the agent's page so that they are reflected in the agent's overall statistics.

My latest strategy for building an agents-to-query list, particularly which agents to exclude:
Before deciding whether to query an agent, I use the "Data Explorer" to see quickly what genres an agent has actually requested and declined, going back years. "Timeline" will also tell you long-term stats if you click on the box for displaying only submissions that got requests. If you elect to show submissions within a certain time period, the line with your query info will be highlighted in yellow, so you can see where it stands, timewise, in relation to other submissions.

An agent's  QT page and agency web page may say that they are interested in literary fiction, for example, but it could turn out that they rarely, if ever, request it, as shown by these two data tables. Of course, not every author uses QT, and not every author who uses QT records (on the QT agent's page, as opposed to the Comments) the results of a query submission. It's still important to learn what books that agent actually handled.

If an agent says they represent literary fiction and I see requests only for fantasy, mystery, thrillers/suspense, I wonder how many connections that agent has with editors actively looking for literary fiction. The main point of even getting an agent is a foot in doors an author doesn't have access to. Also, the likelihood of my book being something that agent could "fall in love with" seems pretty small.

Having said all that, I just got a request from an agent I queried before coming up with that great strategy for building my query list. The QT data tables show that, in the past 2 years he has requested material only 8 times and every request has been mystery and thriller/suspense. So I was really surprised by his request. My literary novel does involve a crime, but doesn't have the expected mystery genre conventions nor the relentless pace of a thriller. I guess he'll find out that my book is more of a why-dunnit than a who-dunnut, and it considers what will become of the characters involved in the crime.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 08:00:18 AM by Munley » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: