QueryTracker Community
November 19, 2018, 06:24:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Note: This forum uses different usernames and passwords than those of the main QueryTracker site. 
Please register if you want to post messages.

This forum is also accessible by the public (including search engines).
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can I re-submit a revised version if I haven’t heard from an agent yet?  (Read 527 times)
RichardAttree

« on: October 26, 2018, 01:35:33 PM »

Quick question from someone new to this business (apologies if it’s been answered before) …

I submitted queries to agents a couple of weeks ago and haven’t yet heard back from some. In the meantime I did some more editing on the book (and the pitch) - including the chapters I submitted, and they’re much better now.

Is it acceptable to re-submit the new version with a note saying: “if you haven’t read my submission yet, could you please discard the previous version and read the new one”?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 01:37:27 PM by RichardAttree » Logged

Rachael846

« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2018, 03:04:51 PM »

I would say yes, it is acceptable, but keep in mind two things.

1. You're going to want to email in the same email chain, and that will bump you out of whatever place you were at in the agent's slush pile. (Which means you may end up waiting even longer than normal for a reply.)

2. You're not really supposed to continue revising a manuscript you send out to agents (unless you get a revise and resubmit from one). You shouldn't have sent it out in the first place until it was as good as you could make it. That said, things do come up, and agents know that. But...it's only been a couple weeks. That's really soon to already be coming in with a new version. You're going to look wishywashy and like you don't know what you're doing if you resubmit to them now. If your work is really strong and something they connect with, they may chose to ignore that, but just weigh that carefully.
Tabris

I rock!

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2018, 04:58:39 PM »

Unless the changes are huge, I wouldn't update. Just write off these agents and find new ones to test out the next version.

If you get a revise/resubmit request and make changes in response to that, I do think it's legit to email agents who have requested manuscripts of the unchanged version (again, IF the changes are significant). But not at the query stage. I would consider queries "one and done."

Come visit my weblog!
RichardAttree

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2018, 07:20:01 AM »

Many thanks for the advice. It all makes sense.

You're not really supposed to continue revising a manuscript you send out to agents (unless you get a revise and resubmit from one). You shouldn't have sent it out in the first place until it was as good as you could make it. That said, things do come up, and agents know that. But...it's only been a couple weeks. That's really soon to already be coming in with a new version. You're going to look wishywashy and like you don't know what you're doing if you resubmit to them now. If your work is really strong and something they connect with, they may chose to ignore that, but just weigh that carefully.
Yep, agreed. I thought I'd finished editing ... and then 1 - I started writing a prequel story (as a reader magnet) and of course it came out better than the backstory  (in chapter two of the novel), so I immediately wanted to replace the previous version 2 - while doing this (the replacing) I became aware of other issues with chapter two (repetitions, not enough 'voice' from my MC narrator etc) and now I'm happy with it (or as happy as any obsessive Virgo perfectionist ever is :-) 3 - my expert beta reader (my wife - I'm very lucky) found a whole new layer of emotional motivation that was always there but was never properly revealed. It's significant enough to motivate my MC to say: "Now I understood just what was at stake" and of course, that had to be added to pitch :-)

Anyway, I think you're right. It does look too amateurish to go back to them now. Onward and upwards.

ps I posted the query / pitch on the forum for feedback: http://querytracker.net/forum/index.php?topic=23178.0

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: