QueryTracker Community
November 19, 2018, 06:21:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Note: This forum uses different usernames and passwords than those of the main QueryTracker site. 
Please register if you want to post messages.

This forum is also accessible by the public (including search engines).
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Radicals - Adult, Contemporary novel  (Read 112 times)
M_K

« on: November 10, 2018, 07:02:07 PM »

Dear Agent/Publisher
I am seeking an agent/publisher for my contemporary queer feminist novel, The Radicals. It is 72k words.
After 25 years of extremist feminist activism, D is on probation for assaulting homophobes and she is becoming something she never wanted to be: respectable. D’s mom and girlfriend hope her life as leader of the feminist collective Pussy Power is over. D feels like a failure conforming to the domestic monotony of her new life. She has to keep a job (her first), take care of her girlfriend's infant, go to group therapy and wear clothes in public at all times.
When she finds out her estranged father has jumped on the white power bandwagon and is sharing the personal details of marginalized people on his badly designed website, she reconnects with her toxic Pussy Power cofounder and triggers a chain of events that causes her new life to implode, which is very bad, but is also exactly what she wants.
Thank you in advance for your consideration.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 11:04:12 PM by M_K » Logged
Pineapplejuice

« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2018, 01:38:15 AM »

Dear Agent/Publisher

I am seeking an agent/publisher for my contemporary queer feminist novel, The Radicals. It is 72k words.

After 25 years of extremist feminist activism, D is on probation for assaulting homophobes and she is becoming something she never wanted to be: respectable. D’s mom and girlfriend hope her life as leader of the feminist collective Pussy Power is over. D feels like a failure conforming to the domestic monotony of her new life. She has to keep a job (her first), take care of her girlfriend's infant, go to group therapy and wear clothes in public at all times.

When she finds out her estranged father has jumped on the white power bandwagon and is sharing the personal details of marginalized people on his badly designed website, she reconnects with her toxic Pussy Power cofounder and triggers a chain of events that causes her new life to implode, ( I think this is where your plot is, but it's written vaguely and as  a result I don't know what the plot is. ) which is very bad, but is also exactly what she wants.

Thank you in advance for your consideration.

I think this is a great set -up and reads nicely, but doesn't really read like a query, especially since it has no plot in it. On QT everyone tends to put housekeeping last , with the bio. Also best to have some spaced out formatting , both in email to an agent and for ease of reading or an agent will think MS has no paragraphs in it.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 01:41:52 AM by Pineapplejuice » Logged
kaperton

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2018, 11:28:21 AM »

Dear Agent/Publisher,

After twenty-five years of extremist feminist activism, D is on probation for assaulting homophobes and she is becoming something she never wanted to be: respectable. [great first sentence!] D’s mom and girlfriend hope her life as leader of the feminist collective Pussy Power is over, but D feels like a failure conforming to the domestic monotony of her new life. She has to keep a job (her first), take care of her girlfriend's infant, go to group therapy and wear clothes in public at all times. [love this]

When she finds out her estranged father has jumped on the white power bandwagon and is sharing the personal details of marginalized people on his badly designed website, she reconnects with her toxic Pussy Power cofounder and triggers a chain of events that causes her new life to implode, which is very bad, but is also exactly what she wants. [I need to know more of the stakes here. Otherwise I'm thinking, "It's exactly what she wants, so what's the problem? Maybe her mom and girlfriend will be annoyed, but they'll get over it." For all I know, this is a girlfriend she just met, and it's not a big deal if they break up. I need the conflict to be bigger. Something like--I'm just making this up--"...causes her new life to implode. She's high on the energy of skirting the law, but her Pussy Power cofounder is pushing her to go farther than they ever have before. D is in danger of going to jail and losing the first woman she's ever loved." That was low effort on my part, but do you get where I'm going with this? I need to want to read more to find out what she's going to choose.]

The Radicals is a 72,000-word queer feminist novel that will appeal to fans of ________ and ________. Thank you for your time and consideration.

M_K

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2018, 01:06:55 PM »

Hi - Thank you very much. This is really helpful!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: