QueryTracker Community
December 15, 2018, 08:09:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Note: This forum uses different usernames and passwords than those of the main QueryTracker site. 
Please register if you want to post messages.

This forum is also accessible by the public (including search engines).
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: QUERY: The Roth Legend, YA Fantasy  (Read 414 times)
A.J.thekid

« on: December 07, 2018, 11:39:19 PM »

Any notes would be greatly appreciated!!!

Dear xxx,

I am writing to seek representation for my first novel, THE ROTH LEGEND, a YA, Fantasy of about 100,000 words. The story is about ESTHER, an orphan who is chosen to be Earth's youngest guardian at age eleven, but her greatest challenge is getting her unruly grandfather to guide her in her new role.

The book opens with Esther being shipped off to live with her grandfather ETHAN, a man she has never met or heard of. When she arrives at her new home, she begins having mysterious dreams of a thief stealing a collection of magical keys from her grandfather.  Shortly after her dreams come to pass, Esther is elected to be Earth's guardian by a council of powerful beings and is immediately sent off to recover the stolen keys. As her adventure unfolds, Esther realizes rather quickly that she has been sent as the last defense against an evil lord and his terrible army with a guide (her grandfather) who is seemingly unwilling to help her in any way. Beyond the magic, adventure, and mystery is the story of how Esther discovers her confidence, learns that her grandfather isn't as cantankerous as everyone thinks, and finally finds a place she belongs and can call it home.

My first real job was as a freelance-filmmaker, but currently, I am the Director of Video for a marketing firm. I've written since I was a child and when I am not working on one of my novels I am working on screenplays or writing scripts for national commercials.

THE ROTH LEGEND is the opening of a planned series. The full manuscript is available upon request. The xxx chapters and the synopsis are attached per your requirements. Thank you for your time and consideration!

Sincerely,
A.J.
TigerAsh

« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2018, 12:45:00 AM »

Dear xxx,

I am writing to seek representation for my first novel, THE ROTH LEGEND, a YA, Fantasy of about 100,000 words. The story is about ESTHER, an orphan who is chosen to be Earth's youngest guardian at age eleven, but her greatest challenge is getting her unruly grandfather to guide her in her new role.
[I moved some of this information towards the bottom of your query letter. You want to keep all your housekeeping items together, whether you put them at the beginning or the end (though I prefer them at the end).
Things you shouldn't do: (1) say it's your first novel and (2) capitalize character names (that's something that is sometimes done in a synopsis, but not a query letter).]

The book opens with Esther being shipped off to live with her grandfather ETHAN, After her parents die, eleven-year-old Esther [Last name?] is shipped off to live with grandfather, a man she has never met or heard of. [I rewrote part of the first sentence above because you should try to write the query letter from your main character's POV.] When she arrives at her new home, she begins having mysterious dreams of a thief stealing a collection of magical keys from her grandfather.  Shortly after her dreams come to pass, Esther is elected to be Earth's guardian by a council of powerful beings and is immediately sent off to recover the stolen keys. [The flow from the previous sentence is off. I think it's because you make a jump from the ordinary to the extraordinary, with no lead up/build up or clear transition. How did we get from Esther living with her grandfather to her being a guardian? Was it a surprise, or did she already know the council existed? You should clarify how we went from the magical keys being a part of her dream to being real. And what exactly do you mean by "powerful beings"?] As her adventure unfolds, Esther realizes rather quickly that she has been sent as the last defense against an evil lord and his terrible army with a guide (her grandfather) [I think this can be better weaved into the query letter without putting it in parentheses.] who is seemingly unwilling to help her in any way. [I think this is too vague. What obstacles does Esther face during her adventure?] Beyond the magic, adventure, and mystery is the story of how Esther discovers her confidence, learns that her grandfather isn't as cantankerous as everyone thinks, and finally finds a place she belongs and can call it home. [Try to end the paragraph in a way that doesn't spoil the ending. The goal is to leave the agent/editor/reader wanting more, dying to know what happens next, wondering whether Esther will overcome the obstacles she's faced with, etc.]

My first real job was as a freelance-filmmaker, but currently, I am the Director of Video for a marketing firm. I've written since I was a child and when I am not working on one of my novels I am working on screenplays or writing scripts for national commercials.

THE ROTH LEGEND is the opening of a planned series. The full manuscript is available upon request. The xxx chapters and the synopsis are attached per your requirements. Thank you for your time and consideration!

THE ROTH LEGEND is a 100,000-word YA Fantasy with series potential. It will appeal to fans of [insert two comp titles here]. I am the Director of Video for a marketing firm and a former freelance-filmmaker. I've also written scripts for national commercials. Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,
A.J.

Some additional/overall comments:

1. After reading this, I'm still confused about what exactly Esther is trying to achieve. What do the magical keys do/what magic is Esther up against? What happens if she doesn't find (all) the keys? Why must Esther be the one to find them? Why does she agree to do it? What obstacles is Esther going to face while trying to find the keys? What is the evil lord and his army planning to do? How does Esther know her grandfather is a guide (and what exactly is a guide)?

2. I initially felt grounded in a setting when Esther went to live with her grandfather. But as soon as you mentioned she was "elected to be Earth's guardian", I no longer felt grounded anywhere. So I think it'd be good to establish a clearer setting.

3. The flow of the query letter could be better. I think right now it just jumps from one vague plot point to another, as opposed to building up to each one. For example, explain how Esther became a guardian (ex: was she playing in her backyard when she was suddenly kidnapped and brought to a secret location where they demanded that she help them find the keys?). The adventure Esther goes on also needs to be made clearer (for example, what "magic, adventure, and mystery" is she going to face?).

I recommend that you check out some of the successful queries that have been posted in a different forum on this site. They could really help you in terms of flow.

4. Based on Esther's age (11) and based on the plot and themes I took away from this query letter, this reads more as a middle grade fantasy than a young adult fantasy. Unless they deal with more mature themes, YA main characters are typically at least 14 years old (though you can MAYBE get away with 13; depends on the story). I haven't read your manuscript, so I can't tell you for sure whether it is in fact MG or YA; however, you're likely to get rejections if an agent/editor who reads this feels the same way I do. Thus I would re-evaluate what age group this book is for (and if it's MG, then you'd need to cut the word count a lot).

Hopefully my comments help you. Good luck! Smiley
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 12:54:09 AM by TigerAsh » Logged
A.J.thekid

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2018, 07:56:44 AM »

Thank you @TigerAsh! Your notes are extremely helpful. I had only been receiving positive feedback from my small group of writers, but I knew overall the query was not good. I will take a closer look and revise and repost!

Again, thank you!
Pineapplejuice

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2018, 12:29:39 PM »

Dear xxx,

I am writing to seek representation for my first novel, THE ROTH LEGEND, a YA, Fantasy of about 100,000 words. The story is about ESTHER, an orphan who is chosen to be Earth's youngest guardian at age eleven, but her greatest challenge is getting her unruly grandfather to guide her in her new role. ( the words following Esther sound like they can be in the query. Adding extra stuff about story in housekeeping is generally to do with comp titles or things you can't say in query, but what you just said is a summary, so it's not advisable to do that. )

The book opens with When Esther being is shipped off to live with her grandfather ETHAN Ethan, a man she has never met or heard of ( How does she know she's being shipped off to be with him if she's never heard of him. Query in her pov so I'd just cut that to simplify and prevent questions you don't want to waste word count on answering ) . When she arrives at her new home, she begins having mysterious dreams of a thief stealing a collection of magical keys from her grandfather.  Shortly after her dreams come to pass, Esther is elected to be Earth's guardian by a council of powerful beings and is immediately sent off to recover the stolen keys. As her adventure unfolds, Esther realizes rather quickly that she has been sent as the last defense against an evil lord and his terrible army with a guide (her grandfather) who is seemingly unwilling to help her in any way. Beyond the magic, adventure, and mystery is the story of how Esther discovers her confidence, learns that her grandfather isn't as cantankerous as everyone thinks, and finally finds a place she belongs and can call it home. ( This feels like an ending and I feel I don't need to read it now. )

THE ROTH LEGEND is the opening of a planned series. ( It's generally best to say ' this book can stand alone but has series potential, as agents don't want to have to think about selling book 2 and 3 etc when they don't even know if they want the full request of the first book. It's advisable ( you have a greater chance of getting rep, and published , if your first book can stand alone  ) The full manuscript is available upon request. The xxx chapters and the synopsis are attached per your requirements. Thank you for your time and consideration!

Sincerely,
A.J.
I Ididn't feel much for Esther in this query. I do like the beginning - being shipped off etc )  but it's all a bit generic to me from that point on. What is it about your book that makes it unique? Try to put that in the query by showing the uniqueness of the plot
Wallis

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2018, 04:19:05 PM »

My first question was who chose her? Why? Passive voice often leaves me wondering those things.

I really liked the image of the "unruly grandfather." I wanted to hear a lot more about him! He sounds fun.

About her being shipped off: again, who is shipping her off to him? Why?

Second paragraph, Esther is elected by a group of powerful beings and sent off... again, it's passive voice. So much stronger to say something like "A group of powerful beings elects Esther to guard Earth, and promptly sends her to recover the stolen keys." <---something like that. Instead of something being done BY someone, say it like someone DOES something.

Your first paragraph had me on the edge of my chair, grinning with anticipation. Your second lost my interest by the time I reached the powerful beings part. Sounds too mysterious. Maybe end it on more of a cliffhanger?

Just some thoughts. Hope they help.
A.J.thekid

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2018, 06:43:33 PM »

TigerAsh, Pineapplejuice and Wallis, Thank you for the feedback. I truly appreciate the feedback. I now have some great notes to work with! Thank you! I will be posting a revision shortly.
A.J.thekid

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2018, 09:11:16 PM »

Here is my revision... a bit long, but it has most of the pertinent information there. Notes welcome... I have done so many revisions and read so many successful queries, that I don't know what is good anymore... ha ha! Thanks to all that read and leave comments.

Dear xxx,

I am writing to seek representation for my novel, The Roth Legend, a YA, Fantasy of about 100,000 words.

After her parent's death, eleven-year-old Esther is shipped from her home in the city to live with her grandfather, Ethan who lives on a graveyard in the middle of nowhere. When she arrives at the run-down estate, she is surprised to find that her grandfather is unruly and seemingly crazy especially when mumbling to himself. When Esther begins having mysterious dreams of a thief stealing a collection of magical keys from her grandfather, her first thought is that she too is going crazy and decides to ignore the strange visions. However, after they seemingly come to pass, a council of magical beings visits with Esther, and against the wishes of Ethan, they tell her of her family's legacy as the secret Guardians of Earth and how the missing keys unlock the prison cell of an evil lord hell-bent on destroying Earth. To Esther's surprise, Ethan was no longer Guardian but had passed the responsibility on to another family years ago when he refused to continue the legacy with his daughter; Esther's mother. The council decided to offer Esther the opportunity to reclaim her family's legacy by finding the stolen keys since the current Guardian was missing. If she were successful and considering she is the only remaining Roth descendant, she would become the next Guardian. Despite the protests of Ethan, Esther accepts, and she is immediately sent off on a mysterious adventure to recover the stolen keys. In order to save her world, Esther must learn how to unlock her hidden magical abilities, fight an army of werewolves, speak to the dead, find a thief who can disappear in the blink of an eye, and learn whatever she can from her unwilling guide; her grumpy grandfather, Ethan.

The Roth Legend will appeal to fans of the Harry Potter series and Percy Jackson and the Olympians. I am the Director of Video for a marketing firm where I write scripts for national commercials. Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,
A.J.

Pineapplejuice

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2018, 10:53:51 PM »

Dear xxx,

I am writing to seek representation for my novel, ( There's no need to say this because it's obvious that your query letter to them is for this purpose , and agents get tired to reading the same thing over and over )  The Roth Legend, a YA, Fantasy of about 100,000 words.

After her parent's death, eleven-year-old Esther is shipped from her home in the city to live with her grandfather, Ethan who lives on a graveyard in the middle of nowhere. When she arrives at the run-down estate, she is surprised to find that her grandfather is unruly ( Unruly a strange word. Is she trying to control him? Maybe 'agitated' or something' ) and seemingly crazy especially when constantly mumbling to himself. When Esther begins having mysterious dreams of a thief stealing a collection of magical keys from her grandfather, her first thought is that she too is going crazy and decides to ignore the strange visions.

( Break this up into paragraphs , as it's just one big block of text. )

However, after they seemingly come to pass, ( This is trying to squeeze in more info the seems irrelevant.. I think just skipping to When 'a council' is fine) a council of magical beings visits with Esther, and against the wishes of Ethan( this breaks the flow and doesn't seem necessary to know. It's not worth breaking the flow just so reader knows Ethan doesn't want Esther to know things, especially when this point doesn't connect to anything the rest of the query here ) they tell her of her family's legacy as the secret Guardians of Earth and how the missing keys unlock the prison cell of an evil lord hell-bent on destroying Earth. To Esther's surprise, Ethan was no longer Guardian but had passed the responsibility on to another family years ago when he refused to continue the legacy with his daughter; Esther's mother. ( This reads as backstory and is boring to read.) The council decided to offer Esther the opportunity to reclaim her family's legacy by finding the stolen keys since the current Guardian was missing. If she were successful and considering she is the only remaining Roth descendant, she would become the next Guardian. Despite the protests of Ethan, Esther accepts, and she is immediately sent off on a mysterious adventure to recover the stolen keys. In order to save her world, Esther must learn how to unlock her hidden magical abilities, fight an army of werewolves, speak to the dead, find a thief who can disappear in the blink of an eye, and learn whatever she can from her unwilling guide; her grumpy grandfather, Ethan. ( This still isn't saying anything unique. A girl will save the world is she finds missing keys. I don't find myself caring about the world here. I don't know how Esther feels about any of these events, either so it's hard to care )

The Roth Legend will appeal to fans of the Harry Potter series ( Don't use Harry Potter as a comp, it's an outlier and they'll roll their eyes as they look at outlier comps as the author not being realistic, or in HP's case, original ) and Percy Jackson and the Olympians. I am the Director of Video for a marketing firm where I write scripts for national commercials. Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,
A.J.

Pineapplejuice

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2018, 11:22:41 PM »

My examples in purple of being more specific or accurate. ( I don't know your book so I don't know if they are plot accurate but they are just examples, for efficiency, specificity and flow. )

When eleven-year-old Esther is ophaned, she's shipped from her home in the city to live with her grandfather, Ethan who lives on a graveyard in the ( say place ) .  The Estate is run-down, and her grandfather is agitated and constantly mumbling to himself.  Esther has mysterious dreams of a thief stealing a collection of magical keys from her grandfather and her first thought is that she is losing her mind like him. She ignores the strange visions, until a council of magical beings ( shows up at the foot of her bed ).

The secret Guardians of Earth say the missing keys unlock the prison cell of an evil lord hell-bent on destroying Earth.   The council says Esther the can reclaim her family's legacy to gaurd the cell, by finding the stolen keys since the current Guardian was missing. ( Just thinking can't she just say no? If successful she will become the next Guardian. Despite the protests of Ethan, ( why does he protest? ) Esther accepts and is sent off to recover the stolen keys.

Note: As I went over this to simplify it I realised the plot isn't reading well.  The Gaurdians over Esther a role of Gaurdian but it's not a job I'd want. Why does she want to do it? Also, since they are Gaurdians themselves, why don't they do it instead of giving it to a child? What is special about her, other than a legacy, that makes her a better choice than their experienced selves. If they gaurd the Earth, surely one of them is capable of guarding a cell. And how are they trying to find the missing Gaurdian? It seems time would be better spent looking for him than training a kid to watch a Lord that wants to destroy the earth

(*) I just realised that I don't know from this query if the evil Lord is still in the cell. I assumed he was. So is she really saving the world by finding the keys, or just preventing a security breach that could release the Evil Lord? Needs to be clear. Also, why don't they just kill the Evil Lord, since he's so evil?

I'm also wondering why Ethan had the keys when he wasn't an active gaurdian. And why could they be stolen so easily?

I'm not saying you need to answer all these questions in query, but you might need to think about how to say things without making the reader ask questions.

The graveyard and grandfather and dreams are a nice set up, but it goes downihil from there. Like Wallis said, the MC feels passive with the way you word them. His example of saying how the gaurdians show up was good. Is it plot accurate, as using that or something like that would be good. It's very hard to be succinct, so it might take a few more goes to get this middle and end where it needs to be.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 11:31:09 PM by Pineapplejuice » Logged
A.J.thekid

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2018, 07:52:56 PM »

Pineapplejuice, thanks for sticking with me! All great questions and you are right, it is really difficult to cut down all of the questions that arise to a succinct paragraph or two, but thanks to all the questions and guidance, I hope to do that! (I prob won't answer all the questions for 1)length of the query and 2) some mystery or unanswered questions could be a good thing.)

Thanks again, another draft coming soon!
A.J.thekid

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2018, 11:01:44 AM »

Again, thanks for the notes... here is another crack... I feel a little stuck and I hope I am not just spinning my wheels...

When eleven-year-old Esther is orphaned, she's shipped from her home in the city to live with her grandfather, Ethan who lives on a graveyard in the backwoods. When she meets her grandfather for the first time, he is rude and seemingly crazy, especially when mumbling to himself or his horse.

When Esther begins having mysterious dreams of other worlds, strange creatures, and the jailbreak of a mysterious figure named the Shadow Thief, her first thought is that she too is going crazy and decides to ignore the strange visions until the Shadow Thief begins showing up on her grandfather's property. Esther doesn't know what to make of it until a magical being named, Binea visits her and tells her of her family's heritage as the Guardians of Earth. He then says that the current Guardian of Earth is missing and that Shadow Thief has stolen his collection of keys that unlock the prison cell of an evil lord hell-bent on destroying all humankind. Binea offers Esther the opportunity to continue the legacy, because of her magical potential and to bring the Roth family back into the Guardian fold. After she accepts her grandfather, Ethan is ordered to be her guide.

Esther suddenly finds herself standing in the way of an evil army hell-bent on releasing their dark lord from a secret prison and on the wrong side of her irritable guide, who was angry that she accepted the Guardianship without asking him. Past the magic, adventure, and mystery, THE YOUNG IBER is a story of hope, love, and the unique power of the family bond between Esther and Ethan. Their relationship with each other and the characters that they meet along the way is crafted to make you laugh, cry, and dance for joy while they fight to save our world from the clutches of evil.

The Roth Legend will appeal to fans of the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series and the Prydain Chronicles. I am the Director of Video for a marketing firm where I write scripts for national commercials. Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,
A.J.
A.J.thekid

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2018, 12:13:21 PM »

This may actually be even better... more of an overview without all the details that seemingly bog the query down... thoughts?

Dear xxx

Based on your interest in YA, Fantasy, I hope you will consider representing my novel The Roth Legend, which is complete at 100,000 words.

After choosing to continue her families legacy as the Guardian of Earth, young, shy, innocent, Esther finds herself standing in the gap between an evil army hell-bent on releasing their dark lord from a secret prison and on the wrong side of her irritable guide, who is angry that she accepted the guardianship without asking him. While searching for the Shadow Thief, a creature who has stolen the keys to open the dark lord's prison cell, Esther learns of the magic, the mystery, and the adventure being Guardian, but also the cost of such a dangerous occupation.

Past the magic, adventure, and mystery, The Roth Legend is a story of hope, love, and the unique power of the family bond between Esther and Ethan. Their relationship with each other and the characters that they meet along the way is crafted to make you laugh, cry, and dance for joy while they fight to save our world from the clutches of evil.

The Roth Legend will appeal to fans of the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series and the Prydain Chronicles. I am the Director of Video for a marketing firm where I write scripts for national commercials. Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,
A.J.
TigerAsh

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2018, 12:59:31 PM »

I think you cut too much in your second attempt, so I'll critique your prior revision instead.

When eleven-year-old Esther is orphaned, she's shipped from her home in the city to live with her grandfather, Ethan who lives on a graveyard in the backwoods. When she meets her grandfather for the first time, he is rude and seemingly crazy, especially when mumbling to himself or his horse.
[I see no benefit of naming her grandfather; it kills the flow for me. Other than that, I like this opening paragraph, so I think you should keep it.]

When Esther begins having mysterious dreams of other worlds, strange creatures, and the jailbreak of a mysterious figure named the Shadow Thief, her first thought is that she too is going crazy and decides to ignore the strange visions until the Shadow Thief begins showing up on her grandfather's property. [This sentence is too long. Split it in two. The navy word is where I think you should consider breaking it up.] Esther doesn't know what to make of it until a magical being [Specify what magical being she is.] named, Binea visits her and tells her of her family's heritage as the Guardians of Earth. He then says that the current Guardian of Earth is missing and that Shadow Thief has stolen his collection of keys that unlock the prison cell of an evil lord hell-bent on destroying all humankind. Binea offers Esther the opportunity to continue the legacy, because of her magical potential and to bring the Roth family back into the Guardian fold. After she accepts her grandfather, Ethan is ordered to be her guide. [You need to clarify what being a guide means. Also, why can't her grandfather be the one to find the keys?]

Esther suddenly finds herself standing in the way of an evil army hell-bent [See if you can use another descriptive term since you used "hell-bent" a few sentences ago.] on releasing their dark lord from a secret prison and on the wrong side of her irritable guide, who was angry that she accepted the Guardianship without asking him. Past the magic, adventure, and mystery, THE YOUNG IBER [What is this? A former title for this project? Make sure you proofread! It makes it easier for us to help you. Smiley] is a story of hope, love, and the unique power of the family bond between Esther and Ethan. Their relationship with each other and the characters that they meet along the way is crafted to make you laugh, cry, and dance for joy while they fight to save our world from the clutches of evil.

[So I don't really feel anything in the above paragraph is necessary. In regards to the stuff I crossed out, you shouldn't be telling the agent those things; they should be shown/alluded to in the query letter. In regards to the first sentence of the paragraph, I think it could be worded better. You want to leave the readers dying to know what happens next. So maybe talk about how her grandfather is holding a grudge and refuses to "guide" her (though again, I need clarity on what it means to be a guide, and why he can't just find the keys himself). And then you can maybe end with alluding to the fact that without him, it'll be difficult for Esther to stop the evil lord from being released; so she needs to amend her relationship with him, but not sure where to start with a man she just recently met.]

The Roth Legend THE ROTH LEGEND is a 100,000-word middle grade fantasy with series potential. It will appeal to fans of the [Author's] Percy Jackson and the Olympians series and the [Author's] Prydain Chronicles. I am the Director of Video for a marketing firm where I write scripts for national commercials. Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,
A.J.

I think this is better than the last version I read, but it could still use some work. Smiley

Also, based off the fact that (1) your MC is 11 years old; (2) your comp titles are middle grade; and (3) the overall plot of your book is still giving me MG vibes, I have a strong feeling that your book should be labeled as middle grade fantasy, not a YA fantasy. Unfortunately that means that you're gonna have to cut your word count significantly (and I know you probably hate me for saying that; but it's better you fix it now than later, after you've already amassed a lot of rejections).

And lastly, one other aside is to watch your comma usage; I picked up on a few commas that shouldn't be there.

Hope this helps!

« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 01:01:13 PM by TigerAsh » Logged
A.J.thekid

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2018, 01:35:11 PM »

Thanks, TigerAsh!

As for the YA vs. MG, you MAY be right, but with many of the themes and circumstances, I still think it may be YA. I'll have to re-evaluate again. Also, I DON'T hate you for suggesting a cut down ha ha I figured that even if it is a YA, I'd have to cut it down. Killing darlings is part of my daily routine :^ /

Thanks again, I will post another draft shortly.
A.J.thekid

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2018, 07:20:36 PM »

*** Note I have changed the age range although I am still on the fence about it. Also, the word count changed because if it is a MG Fantasy, it should be around this number (as suggested)***

Dear XXX,

Based on your interest in middle-grade Fantasy, I hope you will consider representing my novel The Roth Legend, which is complete at 80,000 words

When eleven-year-old Esther is orphaned, she's shipped from her home in the city to live with her grandfather, who lives on a graveyard in the backwoods. When she meets her grandfather for the first time, he is rude and seemingly crazy. When Esther begins having dreams of other worlds, strange creatures, and the jailbreak of a mysterious figure named the Shadow Thief, her first thought is that she too is going crazy until the Shadow Thief begins showing up on her grandfather's property.

Esther doesn't know what to make of it until a fairy-like creature visits her and tells her of her family's heritage as the secret Guardians of Earth. He then informs her that the current Guardian of Earth is missing and that Shadow Thief has stolen his collection of keys that unlock the prison cell of an evil lord hell-bent on destroying all humankind. The fairy offers Esther the opportunity to continue the legacy, because of her magical potential and to bring the Roth family back into the Guardian fold. After she accepts her grandfather is ordered to guide her in her quest since it is his final obligation as a former Guardian to teach her. Esther suddenly finds herself standing between an evil army with the sole purpose of releasing their dark lord from his secret prison. However, before her adventure begins, Esther's irritable grandfather refuses to teach her how to use magic and forbids her to travel to other worlds but doesn't explain why. Esther is determined to find those keys and resolves to get on her grandfather's good side, but she is not sure how to do so with a man she just recently met.

The Roth Legend will appeal to fans of the Rick Riordan's Percy Jackson and the Olympians series and Lloyd Alexander's Prydain Chronicles. I am the Director of Video for a marketing firm where I write scripts for national commercials. Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,
A.J.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: