QueryTracker Community
April 24, 2019, 10:49:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Note: This forum uses different usernames and passwords than those of the main QueryTracker site. 
Please register if you want to post messages.

This forum is also accessible by the public (including search engines).
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Etiquette for querying another book  (Read 841 times)
Voxeterna1

« on: January 01, 2019, 01:11:34 PM »

Last month I signed a deal with a publisher to publish my first book! I feel incredibly lucky and very excited! The process of querying my first book took over a year, so during that time I began a new writing project. Now that manuscript is complete and I feel very strongly that it's a good story. I've still got some editing to do and I'd like my beta readers to take a nice long look at it, but I want to start querying it pretty soon.
   My question is: are there rules ( written or unwritten) prohibiting querying a new book while your other book is in the process of publication? Obviously I don't want to bite off more than I can chew and I also don't want to burn any bridges in the industry. I never got representation with an agent for my first book. Moving forward I would like to find an agent to represent me. Does it look good or bad to an agent that I have a publishing contract without an agent? When querying agents/ publishers what is the best way to phrase " I have a book coming out, but not quite yet". Is it something I should highlight about myself as an author or downplay since the book isn't actually out yet? Or should I wait until the book is already out before I begin querying the new one? They are both in the same genre ( romance) but not the same subgenre ( one is historical, one is paranormal) and even though both are Book 1 of a series, they are not the same series. I would however be writing them under the same pen name.
      Any insight anyone has would be greatly appreciated!
           ~ Cheers, Query Trackers~
                  ~ Gwen
koji

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2019, 05:36:54 AM »

There's nothing against querying a book while you have another in publication. Since publishing takes so long, it is expected you will have various manuscripts at various points in the process at any given time.

In your bio section of your query letter you can just include, "My book "title" is forthcoming with "Publisher name."" or something similar. For most agents, it will be a positive that you have already snagged a trad publisher on your own, but it could depend on the reputation of the publisher. When making an offer, an agent may want to know if the publisher has an option on your next book.
Voxeterna1

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2019, 09:23:34 AM »

Thanks Koji :-)
jcwrites

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2019, 09:33:00 AM »

Have you discussed book #2 with the editor of book #1?
Voxeterna1

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2019, 12:44:19 PM »

No I haven't discussed it with my editor. The books aren't from the same series or subgenre. Should I discuss it with my editor?
Waterfall

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2019, 01:29:05 PM »

No I haven't discussed it with my editor. The books aren't from the same series or subgenre. Should I discuss it with my editor?

Part of this depends on the contract you signed with the publisher for your first book. It's often the case that the contract requires you to offer subsequent work to that publisher for the "right of first refusal." I've had this with all my nonfiction books, and handled it by working with the editor to re-word the contract so that only my next nonfiction book had to go to them first; I could do whatever I wanted with my novels. Since my publisher doesn't do fiction, it was an easy concession for them to make. But check closely, because that's really common contract language.
Voxeterna1

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2019, 04:33:47 PM »

Thanks Waterfall. I did read my contract carefully, and from my understanding, the only thing they have right of first refusal to is anything that is related to my first book ( so sequels, anything using the same characters or themes.) Since this second book, though also in the romance genre, is completely unrelated to the first book, I think I should be free to go where I wish? Depending on how things go with this publisher, I very well might just stick with them, but I do want to keep my options open.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: