QueryTracker Community
March 18, 2019, 07:14:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Note: This forum uses different usernames and passwords than those of the main QueryTracker site. 
Please register if you want to post messages.

This forum is also accessible by the public (including search engines).
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Does It Pay to Be a Writer?  (Read 396 times)
longknife

« on: January 09, 2019, 06:38:49 AM »

I think most of us here realistically know it doesn’t. We scratch and struggle to find a publisher and, unless we’re among the rich and famous who get Ungodly sums in advances, we go nowhere. Or, get sucked in by unscrupulous publishers who offer us entry into the world of being a published author. For a fee.
In a recent call, Ms. Martin said that “the people who are able to practice the trade of authoring are people who have other sources of income,” adding that this creates barriers of entry and limits the types of stories that reach a wide audience. There is also, she added, a devaluation of writing in which it is often viewed as a hobby as opposed to a valuable vocation.
“Everyone thinks they can write, because everybody writes,” Ms. Rasenberger said, referring to the proliferation of casual texting, emailing and tweeting. But she distinguishes these from professional writers “who have been working on their craft and art of writing for years.”
“What a professional writer can convey in written word is far superior to what the rest of us can do,” Ms. Rasenberger said. “As a society we need that, because it’s a way to crystallize ideas, make us see things in a new way and create understanding of who we are as a people, where we are today and where we’re going.”
You can read the full piece @ https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/05/books/authors-pay-writer.html

A Soldier's Stories @ http://lvcabbie.blogspot.com
Father Serra's Legacy @ http://msgdaleday.blogspot.com
jcwrites

« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2019, 10:08:04 AM »

The immortal Elmore Leonard, when asked what kind of writing pays the best, said, “Ransom notes.”
jldelozier

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2019, 05:47:07 PM »

Insert Quote
The immortal Elmore Leonard, when asked what kind of writing pays the best, said, “Ransom notes.”

I LOVE this with every fiber of my being.
Waterfall

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2019, 06:24:21 AM »

It's always been interesting to me that my most prosaic writing is by far the most profitable. I wrote a 150-page accreditation report for a college, and managing that project and doing some statistical research for it made me $30K. But according to thirty-year agent Miriam Altschuler, seventy percent of novels published by major houses sell two thousand or fewer copies. It's always safer to be a barnacle on the side of a big ship than to be an anchovy out swimming on your own...
koji

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2019, 06:34:56 AM »

I make around 20k a year part time writing ghost blogs. It is crap writing (well, not crap, but pointless) and probably will make me more than any novel I will write.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: