QueryTracker Community
April 22, 2019, 09:19:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Note: This forum uses different usernames and passwords than those of the main QueryTracker site. 
Please register if you want to post messages.

This forum is also accessible by the public (including search engines).
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Query from two POVs  (Read 207 times)
CHwrites

« on: March 05, 2019, 11:36:13 AM »

Hey all!

My novel is written from two POVs. I already wrote one query from the POV of who I’d consider the mc. I have had no requests. I’ve been told by critiquers that my other mc might be a selling point and to include her in my query. But I’m also reading that a query should only be written from one POV.

In your opinion, should I revise my original with only one POV or rewrite to include the other POV?
neverish

« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2019, 01:05:44 PM »

You could try writing a few different versions -- one with both, one with the POV you haven't focused on yet -- and see how your critique partners feel about them. Feel free to post your query in the query review forum if you'd like more opinions on it, too.

Ro

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2019, 06:22:28 PM »

There are examples of people with multiple POVs in a successful query. I think I saw some on queryshark. You could try including both POVs as long as it reads smoothly and makes sense. Including multiple POVs in a query is only bad if you can't do it effectively (or if it's simply not the best approach for your story).
grayflower

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2019, 01:52:39 PM »

So I'm about to enter the querying trenches with a dual POV book, and this is the advice I received from listening to the podcast PrintRun (hosted by two agents). I'm going to use a really simplistic example.

Follow the same structure romance novels follow.

Stanza One is about your first character -- Jane is a quirky librarian with a knack for muffins and murder mysteries.

Stanza Two is about your second character -- John is a edgy biker with a past

Stanza Three brings them together, presents their shared problems and stakes -- When Jane saves John from a horrible wreck, neither one of them expect a mystery of his attacked to bring them together, or put them in dangr.

Stanza Four is your "metadata" -- My debut romance thriller,MUFFINS AND MOTORCYCLES, is a 70,000 words manuscript that would appeal to readers who enjoy Nicholas Sparks and Steven King.

Thanks for your consideration.

Name
Ro

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2019, 01:49:18 AM »

So I'm about to enter the querying trenches with a dual POV book, and this is the advice I received from listening to the podcast PrintRun (hosted by two agents). I'm going to use a really simplistic example.

Follow the same structure romance novels follow.

Stanza One is about your first character -- Jane is a quirky librarian with a knack for muffins and murder mysteries.

Stanza Two is about your second character -- John is a edgy biker with a past

Stanza Three brings them together, presents their shared problems and stakes -- When Jane saves John from a horrible wreck, neither one of them expect a mystery of his attacked to bring them together, or put them in dangr.

Stanza Four is your "metadata" -- My debut romance thriller,MUFFINS AND MOTORCYCLES, is a 70,000 words manuscript that would appeal to readers who enjoy Nicholas Sparks and Steven King.

Thanks for your consideration.

Name

Yeah, that's along the lines of what I've read, too. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: