QueryTracker Community
April 24, 2019, 11:05:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Note: This forum uses different usernames and passwords than those of the main QueryTracker site. 
Please register if you want to post messages.

This forum is also accessible by the public (including search engines).
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is my word count too short?  (Read 146 times)
Ro

« on: March 10, 2019, 03:15:52 AM »

Hey guys,
I'm gonna query a YA story of 55,000 words, but I'm worried some agents might just reject it because of the word count. Some people say 50-ish thousand words is fine for YA, and some say a story that short is a novella and not even a novel.

Has anyone else queried a book of similar length? What was the experience like?

I don't want to uselessly fluff up the story just for the sake of word count, but I also don't want people rejecting my work because the word count is too low.

What should I do?  Huh?

Any thoughts would be appreciated!  help

(It was not a nanowrimo novel, in case you're wondering.)

koji

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2019, 06:05:26 AM »

It depends on the genre. For a contemporary YA, 55k might be fine. But for sci fi or fantasy it's light for YA and some agents might skip it (there you'd want to be up in the 70k range at least).

Of course, a lot of agents will still read your sample if you are a little out of normal ranges.
neverish

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2019, 11:54:04 AM »

55,000 is safe depending on the genre -- as Koji mentioned, it's low for sci-fi or fantasy, but for contemporary, literary, horror, and urban fantasy it should be fine. I would think agents would look more kindly on a novel on the shorter side than one that's 125,000 words? It would be an easier sell to publishers.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: