QueryTracker Community
June 15, 2019, 10:00:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Note: This forum uses different usernames and passwords than those of the main QueryTracker site. 
Please register if you want to post messages.

This forum is also accessible by the public (including search engines).
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Brutal Personal Rejection - Advice Please  (Read 133 times)
mortaldarkangel

« on: Yesterday at 05:06:37 PM »

My 8th rejection came today in a very personal email that really struck a chord with me. I won't say the agent's name or the details of the reply. But, now I'm really reconsidering everything. I'm honestly not sure how to proceed from here. A little background on the situation.....

My book is a historical fiction set during WWII about a Jewish woman who saves a Nazi Officer's life. It definitely isn't all glitter and roses since there are many struggles they both have to overcome.

Here is my response to her since I wanted to be crystal clear on my actual intentions and background of this novel. I may have sugar coated how much I appreciated her brutal wording and accusations.....
I wanted to reach out not in an attempt to change your mind on your personal response to my query. But, I wanted to clarify my stance as a writer and an individual. This novel was not meant to romanticize a hate group. It was inspired when I was attending a university and interviewed those in the Jewish community who suffered from the Holocaust as part of my cultural anthropology project in my senior year. I met a woman who had a romantic relationship with a person in the Nazi Regime. In my curiosity, I soon found this wasn't the only case. "The Nazi Officer's Wife: How One Jewish Woman Survived The Holocaust" was another example, this being Edith H. Beer's biography, and was listed as a New York Times Bestseller.

Having an education in cultural anthropology and psychology, I NEVER want to portray myself as supporting a hate group. Your response did make me realize maybe I need to clarify the background of this story or just keep the novel to myself since this is a rare part of history not understood. Because of this, I will be doing a thorough reevaluation if I need to proceed with this or not. I fully appreciate your honesty and time to send me back a response.

So, with all that in mind. This is what I have been considering.....
1. Not pursuing this novel at all.
2. Adding an author's note in the beginning of the novel detailing historical events, etc. to clarify any questions the reader may have. Or, prevent anyone from jumping to the conclusion that I support hate groups and romanticize them.

The only problem with the last option is that I cannot possibly fit an explanation in a query letter. Which is what led me to this situation.

Any useful and honest advice would be greatly appreciated. I asked my husband, who is Jewish, and he was really no help since he has always believed in this novel.

Update: Maybe I was too nice about this agent. Because she blasted my query on twitter of all places. Wow.......
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 05:57:24 PM by mortaldarkangel » Logged
SincerelySinclair

« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 06:19:48 PM »

That's rough, mortaldarkangel.

Your response to the agent is solid and polite and it gives a great background to your historical piece. I implore you to add in an author's note for agents. Your novel does deal with some heavy material. Having that note could spare you from further rejections and prevent agents thinking the worst of you. You could add the note in the final paragraph of your letter where you explain your background and the historical accuracy of the novel.

At the very least, it would hurt at all to include it.
TigerAsh

« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 06:57:50 PM »

I think the author's note could work.

Better yet, I think should include a sentence or two in your housekeeping paragraph about what inspired the story (as you explained to us). Also, if you include comp titles (like the NYT bestseller you mentioned), that would give the agent a clearer picture of what you're going for.

« Last Edit: Yesterday at 06:59:34 PM by TigerAsh » Logged
mortaldarkangel

« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 07:07:58 PM »

That's rough, mortaldarkangel.

Your response to the agent is solid and polite and it gives a great background to your historical piece. I implore you to add in an author's note for agents. Your novel does deal with some heavy material. Having that note could spare you from further rejections and prevent agents thinking the worst of you. You could add the note in the final paragraph of your letter where you explain your background and the historical accuracy of the novel.

At the very least, it would hurt at all to include it.

Thank you. That is really helpful.   Smiley

I think the author's note could work.

Better yet, I think should include a sentence or two in your housekeeping paragraph about what inspired the story (as you explained to us). Also, if you include comp titles (like the NYT bestseller you mentioned), that would give the agent a clearer picture of what you're going for.

Why didn't I think of that before??? Ugh, I just want to beat my head against the wall right now. Thank you!  Grin
retroisking

« Reply #4 on: Today at 04:05:08 AM »

Sometimes we are so drawn into our own novels, we only see what we know, not what is on the page. What I mean by that is, the query should of made clear the hook/conflict. You have been vague, so I am just guessing. If you have done that, then take the agents letter as a favour, because I wouldn't want to work with someone like that. It shows a lack of professionalism on their part. You dodged a bullet.
mortaldarkangel

« Reply #5 on: Today at 11:26:44 AM »

Sometimes we are so drawn into our own novels, we only see what we know, not what is on the page. What I mean by that is, the query should of made clear the hook/conflict. You have been vague, so I am just guessing. If you have done that, then take the agents letter as a favour, because I wouldn't want to work with someone like that. It shows a lack of professionalism on their part. You dodged a bullet.

In the query, I captivated the story. But, not the background. That was where my mistake was and lesson learned....as you said here which I really appreciate. I definitely dodged a bullet after that tweet she sent out. Really puts in perspective how much an agent can either build or hurt your reputation as a writer.
RJP

« Reply #6 on: Today at 12:58:51 PM »

I don’t see any problem with the concept of your book. I wouldn’t refer to your leading man as a Nazi Officer though. Call him a German Officer. It’s an easy fix. Go through your book and change every instance to German Officer. People think WW 2 was like Indiana Jones and all the German soldiers wore swastikas on their arm. This is not the case! And of course, not all German soldiers identified as Nazis and not ALL German soldiers were bad people. Many were people who were swept up in the war or even forced to their posts by the regime.

Anyways, it’s something to consider. That one little tweak could solve everything.
mortaldarkangel

« Reply #7 on: Today at 02:32:20 PM »

I don’t see any problem with the concept of your book. I wouldn’t refer to your leading man as a Nazi Officer though. Call him a German Officer. It’s an easy fix. Go through your book and change every instance to German Officer. People think WW 2 was like Indiana Jones and all the German soldiers wore swastikas on their arm. This is not the case! And of course, not all German soldiers identified as Nazis and not ALL German soldiers were bad people. Many were people who were swept up in the war or even forced to their posts by the regime.

Anyways, it’s something to consider. That one little tweak could solve everything.

THIS  agree I forget how much I know about history and how much my readers might not know.
jcwrites

« Reply #8 on: Today at 05:48:36 PM »

This link to a New York Times article might be of interest: https://news.google.com/articles/CAIiEAdP9uIHL8yVnVs4tGIxsPcqFwgEKg8IACoHCAowjuuKAzCWrzww9oAY?hl=en-US&gl=US&ceid=US%3Aen

Good luck to you
SincerelySinclair

« Reply #9 on: Today at 06:50:17 PM »

I was scrolling through my news feed today and I swear that there was an article about some billionaire's children or grandchildren discovering that their mother married a Nazi officer to survive during the war. Your novel immediately jumped to my mind.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: