Author Topic: Stupid things we've done  (Read 40968 times)

Offline Sarah Ahiers (Falen)

• This, too, shall pass
    • Sarah Ahiers
Re: Stupid things we've done
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2015, 07:40:21 AM »
Once I found out an agent had the same name as a character and I tweeted her directly about it...and then was told never to do that again.

From the agent??  :eek:
Repped by Mollie Glick of CAA
ASSASSIN'S HEART 2016 HarperTeen
I hang out at Sarah Ahiers Writes
Author Website

Offline Pandean

• Panic in human form
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2015, 09:36:39 AM »
Once I found out an agent had the same name as a character and I tweeted her directly about it...and then was told never to do that again.

From the agent??  :eek:

From her client who was relaying on how I made the agent uncomfortable.

She client was just being nice. But it was mortifying because then I changed the character's name so no one would think I was sucking up/etc. as I'd been advised.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 09:40:11 AM by X »
WHITE STAG, an internet phenomenon, has been acquired by St. Martin's Press/Wednesday Books for publication in Winter 2019

• This, too, shall pass
    • Sarah Ahiers
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2015, 10:06:49 AM »
Ahhh. It would have never occurred to me that she would have thought that you purposely named the character after her as a sort of suck up technique.
Author Website

Offline Pandean

• Panic in human form
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2015, 10:21:04 AM »
Ahhh. It would have never occurred to me that she would have thought that you purposely named the character after her as a sort of suck up technique.

Apparently some agents believe that. *Shrug* I don't think this exact one is agenting anymore, though.

Either way, I was horrified, worried that I'd ruin my chances, etc. So I barely interacted with agents on twitter after that.
WHITE STAG, an internet phenomenon, has been acquired by St. Martin's Press/Wednesday Books for publication in Winter 2019

Offline notanumber

« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2015, 03:56:03 PM »
I was sending out queries by copying and pasting and didn't realize until after I'd hit the send button that I'd sent a query to an agent that had the previous agent's name on it. Aaaargh! Of course, I didn't even get a form rejection from her.

Offline FlyingViking

• Bold, but with a hint of whimsy
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2015, 07:07:16 PM »
I queried the same agent twice - once with my standard query and once with the customized query required by the agency - and received two form rejections.  They were identical, though.
When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return.

- Leonardo da Vinci

Offline McG

• Author Website:
« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2015, 10:35:45 AM »
These are gold! It doesn't make me feel so bad.

Back when I was sixteen and thought I'd be the next J.K. Rowling, I queried one particular agent (with an atrocious query), and in my unneeded bio section proceeded to tell her about my life--i.e. how I was excited to finally be getting my license, stuff about my family and dog, and how I was so excited for Christmas and couldn't wait to see what I'd be getting. I will say this agent was a class act and extremely polite--she wrote me a personalized rejection and even said she hoped I'd get all I wanted for Christmas, and even sent me a link to her blog so I could check out stuff about her two dogs. Talk about taking the time to be nice when she could've easily sent me a form rejection or just not responded at all. I'll always hold her in high regard.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 10:40:03 AM by McG »
"Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers." -Charles W. Eliot

• This, too, shall pass
    • Sarah Ahiers
« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2015, 11:08:12 AM »
That is SO AWESOME
Author Website

Offline Pandean

• Panic in human form
« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2015, 11:50:30 AM »
ALL THE AWARDS to that agent, man.

Offline McG

• Author Website:
« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2015, 05:08:49 PM »
I know, right? It was unexpected and really great of her.
"Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers." -Charles W. Eliot

Offline Hrothmeir

• The Realms of Neldak
« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2015, 12:55:42 PM »
You realize you HAVE to query her again at some point, right?  Doesn't matter the project, just as soon as you have something even remotely up her alley, she needs to be the first person you contact.  You've got an in, man; don't waste it.

Offline McG

• Author Website:
« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2015, 11:44:12 PM »
Oh yeah, I'm definitely querying her when I'm ready, Hrothmeir. This might be a really dumb question, but do you or any of you guys think that whole thing would be something to mention? Or do you think she'd remember me? I feel like agents actually have really good memories when it comes to weird things/mistakes authors make, but…I don't know. It's not something I'd really want to bring up at the same time.  ???

Offline Hrothmeir

• The Realms of Neldak
« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2015, 11:44:15 AM »
I've noticed that agents who blog frequently tend to post humorous/interesting anecdotes; does this agent have a blog?  If so, check through the archives and see if you get a mention.  If so if so, definitely mention it.  If not... no idea on that one; sorry.

Offline McG

• Author Website:
« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2015, 12:22:21 PM »
No problem! And yeah, I'll go and check out her blog, I didn't even think about that. Thanks Hrothmeir!

Offline McG

• Author Website:
« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2018, 05:59:05 PM »
Bumping this thread. I've finally gotten back on the forum after seemingly forever, and these stories make me smile! Anyone have anything else? We're not alone in our mistakes!  :duh: