Author Topic: New Adult Genre  (Read 5718 times)

Offline Alniah

New Adult Genre
« on: August 28, 2011, 08:21:09 AM »
I am curious. Had anyone ever seen the "New Adult" genre under an agent's profile. It seems to be MIA but sounds like a great idea since St Martin's press came up with the concept. Any thought?
"If the doctor told me I had six minutes to live, I'd type a little faster." Isaac Asimov.

Offline Tabris

• I rock!
Re: New Adult Genre
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2011, 08:32:10 AM »
Since there's only the one imprint that takes it, no, none of the agents are interested in it right now. This was up on twitter in the past few days. (Not sure I can find it now.)

Offline JLArmentrout

• # 1 NYTimes Bestselling Author
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2011, 08:55:01 AM »

I love the idea of New Adult, since I think the ages 18-23 is a huge untapped market, however there isn't any "shelf space" for it yet. But more publishers are taking upper YA, which can also have older progtags in it.

If you are working on something that has older protags, I'd go with upper YA instead of New Adult.
# 1 NYTimes Bestselling author. I've written a slew of books. All of them have lots of kisses. Also known as author J. Lynn.

Published with SHP, Entangled, Disney/Hyperion, Harlequin Teen and HarperCollins

Offline Alniah

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2011, 09:05:18 AM »
Thanks guys! I guess it seems everything I right could be adult if pushed a little further but not quite YA because my MC's issues are usually beyond what that age group would worry about  :no:
"If the doctor told me I had six minutes to live, I'd type a little faster." Isaac Asimov.

Offline Tabris

• I rock!
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2011, 09:09:29 AM »
I found the tweet here: http://twitter.com/#!/KOrtizzle/status/105805949733847042

Kathleen Ortiz said not to query a book as New Adult because no one takes that yet. Settle it as YA or adult and the agent will decide.

Offline Alniah

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2011, 09:20:28 AM »
Thank you Tabris. Going back to my arguing on the inside as to which genre to query under  :rant:

Offline Molly Z

• Unheard Melodies
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2011, 10:18:23 AM »
St Martin's Press never got their "new adult" line off the ground, despite the hype.  There are several smaller presses now doing new adult/upper YA lines -- Entangled and Noble Young Adult -- if you want to try to submit direct to publishers.  There may be more, but those are the two I've found that definitely ask for 18-23 year old MCs.  I have a rom-com series with college age MCs so I know how hard it is to find a classification for it!

Offline Beckahrah

• my blog
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2011, 06:15:42 PM »
I think Angry Robot Books focuses on the "new adult" age group, though they do only sci-fi, fantasy, & horror
Is there some reason a robot made of wax can't take a nap standing up in the middle of a bunch of wax robots, or does that CONFUSE you?

Blog: http://beckah-rah.blogspot.com

Twitter:  http://twitter.com/Beckahrah

Offline matate99

• On the agent finding journey just like you.
    • My Blog
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2011, 12:14:53 AM »
This seems like a strange genre to me, since from what I can tell, the majority of the fantasy/scifi world has protags around 18-25, so if anything, an "Old Adult" categorization would be more appropriate in that world. But this is based on what I end up reading, so perhaps I just get attracted there.

Offline Chandara

• Elizabeth Arroyo
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2011, 09:14:39 PM »
This seems like a strange genre to me, since from what I can tell, the majority of the fantasy/scifi world has protags around 18-25, so if anything, an "Old Adult" categorization would be more appropriate in that world. But this is based on what I end up reading, so perhaps I just get attracted there.

I think it has to do more with the tone and voice of your manuscript then age. But you make a good point.  :ninja:
"In my view a writer is a writer because even when there is no hope, even when nothing you do shows any sign of promise, you keep writing anyway." Junot Diaz

www.elizabetharroyo.com
twitter @EArroyo5

Offline LisaAnn

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2011, 05:05:27 PM »
I was really hoping the New Adult thing would work out, as I really, really want to write about characters who are slightly older and more experienced than YA protags but are still going through development and dealing with coming-of-age issues.

Alas.  :sad2:  Looks like I'll have to settle for YA, as it seems much easier to place than adult right now. 

Also, I was just at a writers conference this weekend, and Sara Megibow from Nelson Literary Agency said she's had lots of successes placing YA protagonists between 14 and 19 years old, so that gives us a tiny more time to work with on the upper end.