Author Topic: How do you pass the time??  (Read 7223 times)

Offline AlythiaB

• Publishing Tips for the Restless Writer
How do you pass the time??
« on: September 21, 2011, 11:29:25 AM »
Ok, it's not like I've been waiting a super long time for the agent who has my full, but I can't stop obsessing over my email inbox. It's driving me crazy. I have 3 little kids and tons of stuff to do, but I still think about it! I just wish I knew how long each agent took. If I knew she took 3 months, I could let it go until then. How do you guys deal with the waiting???  ???
Represented by Moe Ferrara, BookEnds, LLC
www.alyconner.com

Online Tabris

• I rock!
Re: How do you pass the time??
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 12:02:15 PM »
Check out her QT stats, and that will give you a sense of how long she generally takes. You can also check out her stats for the last couple of months and see if she's running later than that.

Whenever you start obsessing over the agent who has your full, go ahead and query another agent. This helps in the long run because you'll probably get more requests, and then you can diffuse the worry out over a number of agents rather than just the one. And the new agents you've just queried don't know you're doing it because you had the urge to email a different agent.

It's just business. Use the energy productively.

Offline meddyK

• The Word is My Oyster
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 01:15:44 PM »
 :agree:
I'd query more, and also write the next new novel in the meantime. It's the best cure for waiting.
Good luck on that full!
My blog: http://lydiakang.blogspot.com
I'm on Twitter! http://twitter.com/LydiaYKang
CONTROL (YA sci-fi) Dial/Penguin, December 2013
CATALYST (Control #2) Kathy Dawson Books, Fall 2014
Repped by Eric Myers of the Spieler Agency

Offline Scarlatti14

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 01:54:45 PM »
How do I deal with waiting?  About as well as I deal with rejection, which is why I query as many agents as I can in the hopes of generating as many partials and fulls as possible.  When a full comes back as a pass, the disappointment is much easier to manage if there are more fulls waiting for a response.  If you've queried every agent on your list, then begin your next project.  Keep busy and keep believing in yourself.  Waiting is not a healthy activity for writers.  It tends to feed our dark side and undermine our confidence, especially when a pass hits our inbox.  Our minds are geared for movement.  That's why we write.  And read.  And think.  Waiting is like a stop sign.  The only problem is our minds refuse to stop.  Given nothing to write, read or think about, my mind loves to go to that crazy default place, that unhealthy "you're probably just not good enough" place when I'm waiting too long for anything.  So I don't wait at all.  Sounds like you shouldn't either.

Offline Sarah Ahiers (Falen)

• This, too, shall pass
    • Sarah Ahiers
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 03:23:25 PM »
I wrote a new novel. It was the only way to really calm myself down while waiting on my fulls.
Also, starting something new really helped with rejections, too. Because when i got an R i was so in love with the new MS that the R on the older one kinda rolled off me easier.
Repped by Mollie Glick of CAA
ASSASSIN'S HEART 2016 HarperTeen
I hang out at Sarah Ahiers Writes
Author Website

Offline AlythiaB

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 05:10:28 PM »
Good call, everybody. I write every night after the kids are asleep. It's during the day--in between chores, and naps--that I wander over to my computer, hoping for something (ANYTHING) from the people I've queried. I think I'm getting to the letting it go until I hear from her point.
www.alyconner.com

Offline ClaudeDancourt

• "Every day you're alive is a miracle." (Anonymous)
    • Author website
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 05:47:24 PM »
I wrote a new novel. It was the only way to really calm myself down while waiting on my fulls.
Also, starting something new really helped with rejections, too. Because when i got an R i was so in love with the new MS that the R on the older one kinda rolled off me easier.

This. Read, go out, try something new. Distract yourself or you'll go crazy!
SECOND CHANCES / RETURN TO CAER LON
Find the first chapters and more on my website
http://www.claudedancourt.webs.com/

Twitter : @ClaudeDancourt

Offline Duff

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2011, 02:36:50 PM »
I applied to grad school. Now I barely have time to eat (I also have young kids and thought that would take my mind off it, but it didn't like school has--because now I'm forced to write something new every week).

So even if you're not ready for the next novel, it helps to give yourself short writing assignments. It will get the gears moving.

Offline tradergirl

• Marketing a book? Read BlurbIsAVerb.blogspot.com
    • Click Here for Tradergirl's Website
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2011, 08:10:34 PM »
I asked this question once and someone suggested tap dancing lessons. I didn't take them up on it.
Author of the novel JULIA'S CHILD (Jan 2012 Plume/Penguin) and THE SKI HOUSE COOKBOOK (Clarkson Potter 2007)
Are you interested in book publicity? BlurbIsAVerb.blogspot.com

Offline AlythiaB

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2011, 12:07:32 AM »
HAHA! We should start an obsessive writers' tap dance league. I would be so down.
www.alyconner.com

Offline Chandara

• Elizabeth Arroyo
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2011, 10:26:42 PM »
 :clap: Awesome responses. Try not going nuts by keeping busy.  :crazy:

"In my view a writer is a writer because even when there is no hope, even when nothing you do shows any sign of promise, you keep writing anyway." Junot Diaz

www.elizabetharroyo.com
twitter @EArroyo5

Offline WhiteGardenia

• http://adventuresofsupertank.blogspot.com
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2011, 05:59:28 PM »
Unfortunately, I go for comfort food during these waiting periods... ugh. 
And I don't even want to go NEAR a scale these days. 

Yeah, I constantly check email, too.  My husband thinks I'm mental. 
I saw a license plate frame a few weeks ago that said, "Just hand over the chocolate, and nobody gets hurt."   :draw:  These days, I can relate. 
"Like a compass needle that points north, a man's accusing finger always finds a woman. Always..."
--Khaled Hosseini, A Thousand Splendid Suns
I'm on Twitter!  http://twitter.com/whitegardenia27

Offline absterschmidt

• “A man without tattoos is invisible to the Gods.”
    • My Blog
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2011, 03:39:12 PM »
I'm glad someone else is struggling with the wait like I am. No matter what I do, I can't stop obsessing. But still, I have a recommendation--pick up a new hobbie. I rock climb, which is great for taking my mind off of the ol' gmail inbox because my iPhone never gets reception out at the crag. Though, climbing does nothing to relieve stress because I'm also afraid of heights. (Why do I do this to myself?)

Another idea--beef up your blog/twitter/website persona. You never know, a fabulous agent just might stumble upon your blog and send you an email begging you to be his or her client.

Just saying.

And good luck!

Offline JeanneG

• Jeanne Lyet Gassman
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2011, 10:41:56 PM »
Ha! I have a bunch of agents who follow me on Twitter. Seems like we talk mostly about food.  ;D

JeanneG
Debut novel, BLOOD OF A STONE (Tuscany Press) released in March 2015; winner of IPPY in national category of religious fiction and currently a finalist for IAN Book of the Year. My work-in-progress: THE DOUBLE SUN.
FB: https://www.facebook.com/JeanneLyetGassman
Twitter: @JLyetGassman

Offline edelweiss

• sonjayoerg
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2011, 12:29:03 PM »
Confession: I used to turn up the volume of my computer speakers so I could hear the incoming email sound over the vacuum cleaner.  :emb:

But I am over that now. How? Well, I have 3 out of 4 fulls are past the 5-month mark and 2 partials are over 3 months. I'm not inclined to nudge. As much as I abhor waiting, at least I can think of those submissions as maybes.

Congrats on the full.  :clap: You should be excited--it's exciting stuff!--and I hope you hear back soon!
Clever as a Fox: Animal Intelligence and What It Can Teach Us About Ourselves (Bloomsbury USA, 2001; paperback, Harvard U. Press, 2002)

HOUSE BROKEN, a novel, coming from Penguin/NAL January 2015
THE TRAIL, another novel, coming September 2015
www.facebook.com/SonjaYoerg
Twitter: @SonjaYoerg