Author Topic: R&R question  (Read 2064 times)

Offline MollyWeister

R&R question
« on: October 24, 2011, 05:29:02 AM »
If an agent or editor suggests an R&R, is it assumed that if you do the changes, and they offer, you will go with them? Or do you still have to notify everyone else, ask for the week to think it over, and the choose the agent you prefer most? I wondered if their is an etiquette that goes along with this. Thanks for thoughts!

Offline Zooks

• www.MaryVettel.com
Re: R&R question
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 08:14:42 AM »
Hi Molly - only once an offer has been made would you notify other agents who have your partials/fulls (some writers also contact agents who only have their queries).  You are free to go with whichever agent you prefer.
THE ARCHIMEDES SOCIETY-Humor
THE KNOTTED GUN - Suspense
THE LONG AND THE SHORT OF IT-RomCom
NOOKS & GRANNIES-YA
GATSBY DELANEY - 7TH GRADE IMPRESARIO - MG
THIS AIN'T NO COWBOY MOVIE-YA
BROGWIN FRAYNEY & HOW HE NEARLY SAVED A KINGDOM-MG
DEATH AT THE DRIVE-IN - Gen'l Fiction
A SCOUNDREL'S TALE-Humor

Offline LisaAnn

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 02:20:25 PM »
 :agree:

I had a handful of R&R's, yet I ended up going with a completely different agent when she offered.  The R&R's are definitely great--because they tell you an agent sees potential in your work--but they are in no way binding, because the agent may pass on you after your resubmission anyway.  (And my thought is, if they wanted you exclusively, they could have always offered first and asked for a revision later, so you definitely shouldn't feel obligated to them.)

However, you SHOULD be very excited, because agents typically don't waste their time asking for revisions unless they are really considering you and your work. So... Congratulations!!  :clap:

Offline Sandbox

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 03:18:23 PM »
:agree:

I had a handful of R&R's, yet I ended up going with a completely different agent when she offered.  The R&R's are definitely great--because they tell you an agent sees potential in your work--but they are in no way binding, because the agent may pass on you after your resubmission anyway.  (And my thought is, if they wanted you exclusively, they could have always offered first and asked for a revision later, so you definitely shouldn't feel obligated to them.)

However, you SHOULD be very excited, because agents typically don't waste their time asking for revisions unless they are really considering you and your work. So... Congratulations!!  :clap:

Solid advice. Thanks, LisaAnn!

Offline meddyK

• The Word is My Oyster
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 06:21:40 PM »
If an agent wants you to do an exclusive R & R they will tell you up front. That is another kettle of fish too (binding yourself to months of revisions with no ability to send it to other agents and no contract either).  Otherwise, you aren't bound to anyone.

Good luck!
My blog: http://lydiakang.blogspot.com
I'm on Twitter! http://twitter.com/LydiaYKang
CONTROL (YA sci-fi) Dial/Penguin, December 2013
CATALYST (Control #2) Kathy Dawson Books, Fall 2014
Repped by Eric Myers of the Spieler Agency