Author Topic: Getting an agent AFTER signing with a publisher  (Read 6178 times)

CillanXC

Re: Getting an agent AFTER signing with a publisher
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2011, 10:06:01 PM »
There were no fees associated with this particular press, no worries. :)

Offline LateToTheParty

• Listen, kid, we're all in it together.
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2011, 10:28:46 AM »
CXC,

Just noticed your photo, (I'm old and decrepit). I love "Firefly!" ;D  I would've done something similar but my Mrs. forbids me from lusting uh, admiring Gina Torres. :naughty: Great choice.
Critiques should spur growth and improvement. Neither is painless.

I don't do personal attacks, defense/debate of work or grudges.

Remember, my comment's worth exactly what you paid for it. Use it, ignore it or PM-me and I'll remove it. 

Buona fortuna!

Offline alisonbeightol

• It was a dark and stormy night
    • adventures of the cautionary tale
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2011, 02:27:23 PM »
I'm signed for a three book deal with a small press, Charles River Press, who is connected with Whiskey Creek Press. They sell quite a lot of books. They also distribute to libraries, and brick and mortar stores including Books a Million and Barnes and Noble. I didn't get an advance however that means I get paid right away and don't have to earn back my advance before getting anything. So if I sell 2000 copies, I get the royalties from all 2000 copies. If I had gotten an advance, I might not see anything, especially if I had an agent.
It isn't like say 2 years ago when publishing first started changing with small presses and e books. Pay to print is going the way of the dinosaur and a saavy author who does their homework examines their contract and options with a huge magnifying glass. ANY out of pocket expense to get the book ready is a red flag. My books are getting the same treatment at a small house as it would with a big one. I have an editor, a cover artist and a publicity person.
Not all titles are meant for the big houses. Some a niche books. Or houses that cater to specific markets, like Permuted Press with Zombie and Horror titles. But it doesn't diminish the legitimacy of the publisher or lump them in with pay to print outfits.
And any agent interested in working with you will look up your work.
Life in Moonlight and Blood of New Beginnings available now on Kindle and Audible.
Death Hunter- November 2018
One Question Before I Go-December 2018

CillanXC

« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2011, 08:49:41 PM »
LateToTheParty, glad to find another Firefly fan! ;D

Not all titles are meant for the big houses. Some a niche books.

True that. My novel is very difficult to categorize, genre-wise, and will probably appeal to a pretty particular audience. I'm happy enough to place it with a small press. :)

Offline alisonbeightol

• It was a dark and stormy night
    • adventures of the cautionary tale
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2011, 10:17:21 PM »
Good for you! Congrats and rock on!
Life in Moonlight and Blood of New Beginnings available now on Kindle and Audible.
Death Hunter- November 2018
One Question Before I Go-December 2018

CillanXC

« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2012, 08:31:05 AM »
Thanks! ;D