Author Topic: Not to be repetitive or anything...  (Read 2858 times)

Offline AlythiaB

• Publishing Tips for the Restless Writer
Not to be repetitive or anything...
« on: January 03, 2012, 01:32:34 PM »
Sorry if you already read my question before, but I thought I'd post again for more input...

I have a pub contract signed for book one of a trilogy with a small press. Should I query agents after I've finished book two even if I end up working with the same publisher again? Thanks!!  :)
Represented by Moe Ferrara, BookEnds, LLC
www.alyconner.com

CillanXC

Re: Not to be repetitive or anything...
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 01:08:02 AM »
Is your current contract only for book one? I know some publishers claim the right of first refusal for any subsequent works... just making sure, lol.

Offline AshK

• ReallyRosie and AshK at #WFWAPhilly2016!
    • Ash Krafton, Author
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 10:20:22 AM »
I suppose if book one does extremely well, you can query an agent in the hopes of a bigger publisher buying the next book for a better contract than the original publisher. If you are going to publish the next book with the same pub, you don't need an agent for it.

If you have different books ready to query, then look for an agent for those. Most people say not to mention any other publications if they are with small/indie presses but I'm not of that persuasion.

An agent's job is to sell a book for you. If you don't have a book to sell, then you don't need an agent yet.

:koolaid:
always an occasion for Kool Aid guy.
Ash Krafton | AJ Krafton

USA Today Best-Selling Author

www.AshKrafton.com

Offline AshK

• ReallyRosie and AshK at #WFWAPhilly2016!
    • Ash Krafton, Author
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 10:22:34 AM »
Ash Krafton | AJ Krafton

USA Today Best-Selling Author

www.AshKrafton.com

Offline AlythiaB

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 11:19:53 AM »
Thanks guys! I was thinking along these lines as well, but I wanted to hear some of your thoughts.

I don't think I'm of that persuasion either, AshK. In fact, I've heard the opposite--agents like to see some publication history. (The whole thing is a bit catch 22 if you ask me. You can't make it with a big publisher without an agent and many agents want published authors LOL! I always figured small presses helped to get a teeny tiny foot in the door, but this is my first novel, so what do I know?) But I think that's a good idea to see how well it does before running off to find an agent, because I'm pretty sure my editor is interested in the next two books.

Thanks again for the input guys! Karma!

www.alyconner.com

Offline AnyaHarker

• I'd rather be writing...
    • www.anyaharker.com
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 01:55:17 PM »
I think the only time you wouldn't want to mention previous publications is if you had HORRIBLE reviews or it completely tanked sales-wise. They may find it by doing a google search? But you don't want to point it out immediately either if it's THAT bad.

Otherwise? Yes, I'd toot my own horn that I have something published when going for an agent. It can only help you.
AVALON RISING | YA Fantasy: 78k | Querying
HAUNTED LEGACY | YA Paranormal | WIP

Site: www.anyaharker.com
Blog: Blog of Anya Harker {updated 12 July!}
Twitter: @AnyaHarker

Offline AlythiaB

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 05:38:40 PM »
Good point, Anya! I was under the impression that people suggested not to mention publications with a small press just because it was a small press... But bad reviews makes way more sense. lol
www.alyconner.com

Offline AnyaHarker

• I'd rather be writing...
    • www.anyaharker.com
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2012, 06:28:56 PM »
I think it may depend on the reputation of the small press? Like, if they're known not to put out the greatest of materials and books, you may not want to say anything that you had the book out and they'll probably wind up googling you in the end. But if they're a good press, you had decent sales I think it would look to the agent that you were ready to make a step onto the big six.

Good luck. ;^)
AVALON RISING | YA Fantasy: 78k | Querying
HAUNTED LEGACY | YA Paranormal | WIP

Site: www.anyaharker.com
Blog: Blog of Anya Harker {updated 12 July!}
Twitter: @AnyaHarker