Author Topic: Looking for betas (75K word mg fantasy)  (Read 2399 times)

Offline AspiringWriter25

Looking for betas (75K word mg fantasy)
« on: January 09, 2012, 03:40:32 PM »
Hello, everyone! New member here (long-time reader, first-time poster). I have a 75K middle-grade fantasy that is in near-final draft (I hope!). It has been through substantial revisions, thanks to a few betas that I knew. Now, I need a few fresh sets of eyes to take The Adventures of Stanley Delacourt the rest of the way.

I’m looking for a review of the overall story, plot, characters, pacing, etc. In other words, anyone looking at it should pretend this is a real book. Would they want to buy it? Would they recommend it to friends? Why or why not?

A little bit about it: fans of Pullman and Snicket Tolkien might find it to their liking. I’d be glad to give a synopsis (or copy of my query letter) if you need more detail.

Would be glad to swap beta’ing as well; I feel my strong points are spotting plot holes, increasing “believe-ability,” and enhancing sentence structure. My beta reads might include fantasy (obv. ;-), paranormal romance, and the like. I am, however, open to other suggestions. I prefer not to read horror or anything too dark in general.

I should have my draft ready around 2-20-12, and am looking to get it back (with comments) two weeks after that. If anyone is interested, please reply to this post. I’d be happy to exchange a few chapters with you to ensure we’re a match. I’m looking for multiple betas, if that is possible.
Thanks to everyone for reading this post, and anyone who chooses to respond. Happy (belated) New Year!

--Ilana

Offline allegretta12

• My Blog
Re: Looking for betas (75K word mg fantasy)
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 12:15:57 AM »
Hi Ilana,

Welcome to the board!

I might be interested. I have the FF up for my MG fantasy, MERCHILD. I posted my query a while back as well, but you might have to dig to find it - I'd be happy to email it to you instead. If you think my manuscript might be something you'd be interested in reading, PM me and I'll send you my email address. I'd love to swap a few chapters to see if we're a good fit.

Allegretta

Offline melanieconklin

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 07:53:32 PM »
Hi!
I think our personalities might mesh well, based on what you wrote here.  Feel free to email me and I'll send along my query to see if we may fit.
My novel is currently in beta testing with a dozen teenagers, but I'd like to get additional feedback from writers and editors on the MS before I query.

My best,
Melanie

Melanie dot Conklin at mac dot com

Offline ChokeCherry

• Kidbits
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 06:01:16 AM »
Aspiringwriter25 or/and melanieconklin - I know I'm late, but if you're still looking for someone to read through your MS, I'm willing!  I'm a MG fantasy/science fiction writer and have one publication in Germany.  My current WIP won't be ready for editing eyes for a few weeks yet, but we don't necessarily need to exchange.

E.mail me if you're interested and we'll see from there!

tdrecker at gmail dot com