Author Topic: an agent no no?  (Read 4438 times)

Offline starbaby017

an agent no no?
« on: January 31, 2012, 06:54:55 PM »
I have been researching my dream agent and I am beginning to feel like a stalker.  I am trying (and currently failing) to get my query perfect for her.  In my research she said she is looking for someone who has "the ability to pitch the book in one paragraph." So I have been creating my query to fit this.  But today I stumbled upon an article with her where she posted examples of a query she loved and it wasn't one paragraph!!!  :o
Was I being a fool this whole time and taking that quote too literally? 
Would I be wise to email her for clarification or is that a big no no???   ???

Offline KathrynRose

• Kathryn Rose
Re: an agent no no?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 07:12:24 PM »
I don't think it's an agent no no, but if she has a twitter account, maybe shoot her a tweet instead? That might be something she could RT to clarify to others who might have had the same question. Also, maybe she does actually prefer one-paragraph queries, but these examples were exceptions...?

Just some thoughts. :) Maybe others might have a better idea of agent etiquette. Good luck with your pitch! Will you post it on here?

Offline violet

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 08:33:27 PM »
Starbaby, definitely do not email the agent.  :no: She probably prefers one paragraph but something caught her eye in the other.

Just craft a great query, one that fits your story.

And remember, the only dream agent is the one who loves your story.  :)

Offline LateToTheParty

• Listen, kid, we're all in it together.
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 08:51:25 PM »
 :agree: V's advice is dead on. I think of stuff like this in terms of hopes/takes/gets. In a perfect world the agent hopes for all her friend/family referrals to be gold mines, she'll take a one-paragraph query, she gets, pretty much whatever's in the envelope and I promise, your 250-ish word query isn't the worst thing she'll get this month. Another example: my wife wanted Patrick Bergin, she'd take Bono, she got me.   :wink:
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 08:21:08 AM by LateToTheParty »
Critiques should spur growth and improvement. Neither is painless.

I don't do personal attacks, defense/debate of work or grudges.

Remember, my comment's worth exactly what you paid for it. Use it, ignore it or PM-me and I'll remove it. 

Buona fortuna!

Offline JeanneG

• Jeanne Lyet Gassman
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 08:57:49 PM »
LTTP, you always make me laugh.  ;D

JeanneG
Debut novel, BLOOD OF A STONE (Tuscany Press) released in March 2015; winner of IPPY in national category of religious fiction and currently a finalist for IAN Book of the Year. My work-in-progress: THE DOUBLE SUN.
FB: https://www.facebook.com/JeanneLyetGassman
Twitter: @JLyetGassman

Offline Sarah Ahiers (Falen)

• This, too, shall pass
    • Sarah Ahiers
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 08:46:29 AM »
What both Kathryn and Violet said.
Throwing a tweet her way would be fine, but if she doesn't tweet, then you just have to write the best query you can. It's not like she'll dump any query in the garbage that's over one paragraph. She's probably just extra tickled when she gets and awesome query that is ALSO one paragraph.

Repped by Mollie Glick of CAA
ASSASSIN'S HEART 2016 HarperTeen
I hang out at Sarah Ahiers Writes
Author Website

Offline LateToTheParty

• Listen, kid, we're all in it together.
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 11:59:23 AM »
LTTP, you always make me laugh.  ;D

JeanneG
That's what my wife said!  ;D
Critiques should spur growth and improvement. Neither is painless.

I don't do personal attacks, defense/debate of work or grudges.

Remember, my comment's worth exactly what you paid for it. Use it, ignore it or PM-me and I'll remove it. 

Buona fortuna!

Offline starbaby017

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2012, 09:56:57 PM »
Ok.  Thanks everybody.  My panicking in beginning to subside.   :yes: :no: :huh:

Offline violet

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2012, 11:21:50 PM »
Another example: my wife wanted Patrick Bergin, she'd take Bono, she got me.   :wink:

:rof2:

Offline starbaby017

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2012, 03:18:17 PM »
@ Kathryn-  Will you post it on here?
I am still attempting to get it right in the Query Review area.  Once it is as close to perfection as possible, I will post it here. 

Offline KathrynRose

• Kathryn Rose
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2012, 04:48:48 PM »
Great!

Offline jdkinman

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2012, 03:26:08 PM »
Starbaby, definitely do not email the agent.  :no: She probably prefers one paragraph but something caught her eye in the other.

Just craft a great query, one that fits your story.

And remember, the only dream agent is the one who loves your story.  :)

This is dead-on correct.

I think so many new writers get SO caught up in the query and the synopsis that it actually ends up hurting them more than helping them.

Granted, a lousy or over-the-top query letter (examples we've all read) isn't going to get you a call back or signed, but then again, how's this agonizing every minute of the day, sweating over every stroke of the keyboard and ever-rising blood pressure working out?

You wrote a good book, write a no-nonsense query letter that reflects your book and its plot, you and your background, then send it.

Rejections aren't the end of the world, and in fact, are actually better than getting strung along for weeks and months on end for a partial here, full version here, revision here, a re-work here, et al.

Either an agent is going to like you and what you offer, or they're not and at the end of the day, it's about your book.

Would you completely change your book just to get an agent you're really interested in?

Always remember--we, as writers, pay agents. Not the other way around. A good number of agents tend to forget that. Writers shouldn't.