Author Topic: 10 weeks and counting  (Read 6997 times)

Offline Miss Java

• Kristal Shaff - Fantasy Author
10 weeks and counting
« on: April 29, 2008, 10:44:05 AM »
(Warning: religious in nature. Stop if you are offended by that sort of thing.)

So I've been waiting for my full now for 10 weeks. I know that it isn't a really long time in the whole scheme of things. I did, however, felt compelled to share this process with you all, even though you might think of me as a religious nutbag. It's okay. I'm fine with that really.  :yes:

So about 3 weeks into waiting, I was on my way to mail 3 more queries. But on the way to the post office, I felt like God was telling me to just wait and send no more. 

So I didn't mail them.

And I haven't mailed any more. (ok, so I emailed 2...in my weakness.  :) )

My queries have been coming back, and now I'm down to 2 that I am waiting for replies. And it has been driving me crazy, because I WANT to send more out.  However, I am trying to be obedient, and just wait until this full comes back. And I know that it sounds awfully silly, but that is what I feel like God is telling me to do.

Now, I've learned from past experience, that just because God tells me to do something, doesn't mean that it is necessarily one answer. I can't just assume that this agent is going to respond with a "yes".  But I know there is a reason for the waiting. Perhaps this agent will give me some advice that will help me along the way. Perhaps I just needed to slow down and quit being so obsessed.  I don't know.

But I will say that I know God is working in this. A couple of weeks ago, I was feeling really frustrated and I prayed that he would give me something, anything at all, instead of this waiting game. I went to the library to get a book that I have been wanting to read, checked it out, and started to walk out the door. I hesitated, suddenly feeling the urge to look at the shelf of books once more. I went to one of them, pulled it off the shelf, and admired the cover. It was published by Bantam (nice), excellent artwork, hardback.  I opened the cover, and there in the acknowledgments was the agent I've been waiting for a reply.

Now, this may seem a coincidence to some people. However, I've been searching everywhere online, and can't find anyone this lady has represented. She works for a great agency, but I have yet to find books directly associated with her.  I think she is new, or keeps a low profile.  But when I saw her name, my mouth dropped open. Out of all the books in the library, I picked up one and only book, the one with her name.

Anyhow, I feel a little funny posting this. I hope that I didn't offend anyone. But I felt like I was supposed to share. But for those of you who are believers, remember that God is in control, no matter what.

Offline LeahClifford

• Global Moderator
    • visit my website!
Re: 10 weeks and counting
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 11:01:51 AM »
Whether it's fate, God, or The Universe (as I refer to it...me saying "Don't worry, the universe will take care of me." elicits an eyeroll from Lege every damn time....though in his defense I'm usually talking about getting a job and not having money.) everyone needs something to look to answers for.  It's what holds society together. 

And the book thing, that's just weird (in a good way!)  Just hang in there and keep listening!
A Touch Mortal
A Touch Morbid
A Touch Menacing
Vial Things
Something Grave (coming out 9/7/21!)

Offline justwrite

• Why A: The Blog of Lisa Amowitz
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 04:49:29 PM »
Whatever shakes your tree, Miss J..you just gotta believe in YOU. I think if you believe in you, God (or the universe since I lean toward the cosmic) likes to help out from time to time. That I really do believe. You put out the positive and you draw the positive to you. So follow those omens (as long as they're good—ignore the bad).

I think it may be time for a status check, though. God can't do that for you.

I stopped querying also because the agent that almost liked mine said I should stop until I revised. I listened to her. I think she was right and your full agent may also have useful advice if there is no offer.

ps, and although you may be a religious person, there was nothing offensive about your post. And I am the furthest thing from religious. (well not the furthest thing. I like God. I just don't visit much).
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 04:51:29 PM by justwrite »

Offline Diane

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 06:11:09 PM »
You know, little synchronicities like that are often the only thing that get an atheist like me through the dark days. So listening to them: just fine.

I'd like to remind you of another one of my favorite proverbs, however: "God helps those who help themselves." (Actually, the variant I use is: "The harder I work, the luckier I get.") Continuing to query is just your way of signaling to the universe (or whomever) that you are working on getting what you want, and you're not waiting for divine intervention. Not that you'd turn it down, of course, but you're out there looking nonetheless.
Repped!

Offline Miss Java

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 08:12:07 PM »
Just an additional note: I emailed her about a month back when I had some email problems, saying that if you responded, please reply again to my alternate email.  That would be my cheating nudge at this point, so I need to wait a bit longer.

Thanks for your post GG. I enjoyed it quite a bit.

And also thanks JW and Diane. Though your suggestions don't fall in line with what I know I need to do at this point, I do appreciate your feedback. Listening to God is better than listening to myself or serving myself. He knows far more than I do, so I need to trust him.

And I know it sounds weird to someone who doesn't believe.

And just so you all don't think that the "listening to God" is some sort of psycho thing, I thought I'd share another experience about listening to God. (This one is even more religious...You are warned  :) )

Whenever the superbowl was this year (wasn't it in January?) a friend of mine called during the game and told me that her grandfather was dying.  I live in Iowa, my friend lives in California, and the grandfather lives in Texas.  I didn't think much about it until two days later.  I was raiding the frig for a snack, and the sudden urge to pray came over me. I went to the bathroom (which is the only place I can get away from kids/dogs/husband) and prayed, though I didn't know WHY I was supposed to pray.  All I knew is that I needed to pray for my friend and pray for her grandfather.  At that moment, I felt a spiritual battle taking place. And I knew he was dying, and he was making a decision on whether or not to believe. Then, I felt this extreme rush of victory, like the angels had just gotten a touchdown at the superbowl. I started cheering in the bathroom (silently) and knew that he had just accepted Christ and had passed away.

I left the bathroom shaking, and knew I had to call my friend. I called her and she didn't answer. I waited another 10 minutes and called again. No answer.  This time I left a message saying "I just felt like I needed to call you."

She called me back a few minutes later and said, "It's funny that you should call right now.  My mom called me.  My grandfather just died."

And I told her "I know"  For I had felt the exact moment he died.

Basically, God told me to pray, and he used me to give my friend comfort on the decision her grandfather had made. And it's a very cool thing when you hear God. So even though I HATE not querying, I know that is what I am supposed to do.  And I really hated making this thread, because I don't like confrontations (which sometimes happens when religion is brought on messages boards) and I don't want to come across as some wacko-bible-thumper. But once again, I felt led to do it.

And I'll say again how great this forum is for accepting everyone, no matter on what religion, orientation, beliefs, etc. It is really a great, encouraging place to be.

Offline justwrite

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2008, 08:21:18 PM »
I don't view spirituality as wacko. Even though I am not religious, per se, I am pretty spiritual. I like the idea of God communicating personally with you rather than through another. So pray on! (and throw a few in for your pals at QT).  :)

Offline coll

• Colleen Rowan Kosinski's Writing Studio
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2008, 08:25:42 AM »

You could be psychic!

Coll :)
Get your book trailer at http://booktrailers.alekkosinski.com

Offline justwrite

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2008, 01:51:42 PM »
Well, my crystal ball is broke or I'd tell you when we're getting agents. Remember, you have to do a solstice dance at those stone circles for us!!!

PS..still waiting on Jen. Oy.

Offline Miss Java

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2008, 03:21:00 PM »
You gals are funny.   ;D ;D

Offline justwrite

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2008, 04:01:04 PM »
We had to keep you laughing so you didn't notice we'd hijacked your thread.  :up:

Offline Miss Java

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2008, 04:13:27 PM »
A thread withOUT a hijack, would not be normal around here.

I wouldn't feel special if it wasn't.  ;D

Offline justwrite

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2008, 04:48:13 PM »
Lovely weather we're having today, isn't it?

Offline Miss Java

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2008, 05:14:59 PM »
*snort*

:yes:

Offline Stephanie

• Stephanie Boman
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2008, 05:35:23 PM »

PS..still waiting on Jen. Oy.

Which Jen?  I haven't been following the boards much lately.

Miss J - I enjoyed your thoughts.

Offline Diane

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2008, 07:16:42 PM »
What's this about psychic vampire ninjas? <-- ultimate thread hijack
Repped!