Author Topic: :( first partial rejected  (Read 6434 times)

Offline Careyrox

• Don't tell me what I can't do! -Locke (LOST)
    • The T Files: Ramblings of a Writer
:( first partial rejected
« on: June 11, 2012, 07:28:05 PM »
I am trying to keep the faith, I know odds are writers getting published, and I knew that my first request would not likely result in an agent, but it still stings. Agent said that she thought it was interesting, but didn't connect with the voice. Anyone have Any similar feedback? What exactly do you think that means? So sad. Will need wine tonight.
"When life hands you a lemon, say "Oh yeah, I like lemons. What else you got?" --Henry Rollins

Blog http://seattletfiles.blogspot.com/
Twitter https://twitter.com/CareyTorg

Querying: The Princess Paradox
WIP: The Thief

Offline Tabris

• I rock!
Re: :( first partial rejected
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 07:48:45 PM »
**hugs**

Voice is one of those things you can't really "work on." It's a quality that develops over time, the more words you write.  Moreover, because it's not something you can really change, that reason insulates the agent against you coming back and saying you fixed it. It's not really "wrong;" she just didn't' "connect" with it. 

In other words, it sounds to me as if this is agent-speak for "It's not you, it's me!" That doesn't really make you feel better, but I think she's just saying she didn't fall in love and doesn't have a specific reason why, and that's all.

Don't worry about it for now. Keep querying. Hold off on that glass of wine until you've sent five more queries, and then drink up.

**more hugs**

Offline emily__

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 07:49:39 PM »
I'm sorry!  Rejections always sting, especially if they're on a partial or a full.  It's perfectly normal to feel a bit dejected.  Voice is one of those really vague, "I'll know it when I see it" type of things that agents cite all the time for being a reason not to take on a writer.  So don't worry - it's totally normal.  Nearly every single agent that's rejected me so far has had something to say about the voice; usually it's just, "not for them".  

So, definitely keep holding onto that faith!  And enjoy that glass of wine.  :toast:

Offline MittensMorgul

• Writing the Bad Things out
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 07:51:29 PM »
So sorry. That first one always hurts worst. Though my first rejection for pages was on a full (I cried). But since then I've had five rejections on partials and fulls, so the best I can tell you is that it gets easier to bear.

An agent saying she didn't connect with the voice is something you can't change. She just didn't love it enough, didn't feel what she needed to offer representation. Just remember, another agent will connect and love your voice. If that's the worst thing she had to say, then you're on the right track. Voice is a totally subjective thing. There are famous singers whose voices I can't stand, but other people praise to the heavens. I just don't enjoy them. Same thing in writing. You'll be fine. She didn't say anything about the writing or the story, so you just need to find the agent who loves your voice. Good luck (and enjoy your wine).
Twitter: @mittensmorgul

Offline myidea

• Teach. Create. Inspire.
    • I Write for Apples
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 10:39:54 PM »
I like MittensMorgul's comparison to singers and how subjective it is.  If you had a bunch of people saying it didn't sound like a YA voice or something specific like that, that's one thing, but not connecting with it is pretty general.

I try to think about going to a book store, picking up one book at a time- some are a fit for my tastes and some are not.  I imagine agents are going to feel the same way about the material they read.  Keep at it until you find the one who picks up your story and loves it.

I've had feedback that totally contradicts other feedback, so I'm learning to listen to it all and take what I feel is right for the story.

Good luck to you.   :)
Query.Sign.Submit. Series - Agent & Author Interviews at www.writeforapples.com
www.teachersidea.com

Offline lexcade

• Me & Michael Myers. SO COOL!
    • Going from Nobody to Somebody
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 06:31:00 AM »
*hugs* The first cut is the deepest, but it doesn't mean you're a failure. Like everyone's said, voice is completely subjective and not something you can work on, like plot or worldbuilding. This is one of those points where you need to have faith in your work, and more importantly, in yourself.
Duality - Edits
WIP: Spark
Outline: Untitled Epic Fantasy, Silver Circle (YA urban fantasy), Siren's Song (YA dystopian)
Back burner: Taming The Ancients

http://lexcade.blogspot.com

Offline Sarah Ahiers (Falen)

• This, too, shall pass
    • Sarah Ahiers
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 08:34:22 AM »
Aww sorry to hear that. I'd like to say it gets easier, and sometimes it does, but sometimes you get an R that hurts extra bad, sometimes not even for any specific reason.
Just try and remember that you don't need every agent to love it, you just need one  :up:
Repped by Mollie Glick of CAA
ASSASSIN'S HEART 2016 HarperTeen
I hang out at Sarah Ahiers Writes
Author Website

Offline Midwest

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2012, 09:09:36 AM »
Ugh. So sorry.  :sad:

The best advice I heard when I was in that position was to feel free to allow yourself to feel crappy for a bit. A day or two, even through the end of the weekend if you like. After that, try to let it go. Research a few more agents, send a few more queries.

Also, I'd recommend reading all of the "success stories" you can find, on this site and others. You'll see posts by people who went through this same thing--agents didn't like the voice or the main character or whatever--and then they finally found an agent who *loved* their ms. It's not likely that *everyone* will love your ms. But it's certainly possible that *someone* will love it. You just have to find that someone.  :)
@JulieLTimmer
www.julielawsontimmer.com
UNTETHERED (Putnam 2016)
FIVE DAYS LEFT (Putnam 2014)

Offline Midwest

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2012, 10:28:56 AM »
Ha - and now I've just read Keith Cronin's article, posted today on the Writer Unboxed site, and *he* says I'm crazy to tell you spend a few *days* feeling bad, and should tell you instead to allow yourself 5 *minutes* to mope, and no more!  :eek: Check out the article; it might help. However, I'd be inclined to give a first time rejectee a little leeway.  :)
@JulieLTimmer
UNTETHERED (Putnam 2016)

Offline Tabris

• I rock!
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2012, 11:15:36 AM »
I still strongly advocate the revenge query after that five minutes of moping is done.  :yes:  Mope for five minutes, and then send your brilliant, highly-polished query to five other agents as revenge against the one who rejected you. It's win-win for everyone, really. You get more queries out there, more agents get a chance to review your work, and if you get an agent from one of the revenge queries, you can feel quietly smug.  :wink:

Offline AnyaHarker

• I'd rather be writing...
    • www.anyaharker.com
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2012, 02:07:04 PM »
I still strongly advocate the revenge query after that five minutes of moping is done.  :yes:  Mope for five minutes, and then send your brilliant, highly-polished query to five other agents as revenge against the one who rejected you. It's win-win for everyone, really. You get more queries out there, more agents get a chance to review your work, and if you get an agent from one of the revenge queries, you can feel quietly smug.  :wink:

I utterly adore the revenge query. When I got a rejection from a contest request that I thought was really promising, I moped for an evening, then turned around and fired off 5 queries the next night. Got a couple of requests and felt amazing.

So yes, mope, drink a glass of scotch, then query.  :up:
AVALON RISING | YA Fantasy: 78k | Querying
HAUNTED LEGACY | YA Paranormal | WIP

Site: www.anyaharker.com
Blog: Blog of Anya Harker {updated 12 July!}
Twitter: @AnyaHarker

Offline Tabris

• I rock!
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2012, 02:33:13 PM »
No, no, no!!! Query, and THEN drink the scotch! Otherwise who knows what will happen? :no:

Offline AnyaHarker

• I'd rather be writing...
    • www.anyaharker.com
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2012, 02:44:59 PM »
No, no, no!!! Query, and THEN drink the scotch! Otherwise who knows what will happen? :no:

Oooooh. So THAT'S why I got that one restraining order. Silly me!
AVALON RISING | YA Fantasy: 78k | Querying
HAUNTED LEGACY | YA Paranormal | WIP

Site: www.anyaharker.com
Blog: Blog of Anya Harker {updated 12 July!}
Twitter: @AnyaHarker

Offline Sarah Ahiers (Falen)

• This, too, shall pass
    • Sarah Ahiers
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2012, 08:32:07 AM »
HAH!

And yes, i too send a query as soon as i get an R. It keeps the queryingmoving forward
Repped by Mollie Glick of CAA
ASSASSIN'S HEART 2016 HarperTeen
I hang out at Sarah Ahiers Writes
Author Website

Offline Midwest

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2012, 09:29:53 AM »
Another "rejection means I send out some queries" person here. I like this practice b/c you end up *rewarding* yourself for a rejection (by sending more queries) and if you're a spin doctor like I am, you can end up being thankful you got the rejection, b/c of the reward.  :crazy:  :)
@JulieLTimmer
UNTETHERED (Putnam 2016)