Author Topic: 5 partials out...am I greedy??  (Read 4736 times)

Offline Careyrox

• Don't tell me what I can't do! -Locke (LOST)
    • The T Files: Ramblings of a Writer
5 partials out...am I greedy??
« on: July 06, 2012, 01:02:05 PM »
So, I am uber pumped to have 5 partials out in agentland, and at least I am getting bites. But...am I being greedy wanting just one of those to ask for a full? Why all the partials first? Is that everyone's experience (unless you are on fire and everyone wants your book?) I am just going bat sh&*% crazy wondering if my pages suck and I have to resist the urge to change things to try to make my MS more enticing. One full request would at least make me feel like someone liked the voice and writing (and plot) enough to want to the whole thing...and perhaps I would even get feedback. I know...greedy. That's what I am. Too damn greedy.

I am nervous and scared, but excited too, that my query is getting hits, I just...sigh...am bracing myself for a round of rejections. (I remember how hard the first one was.)

..sorry, mostly just venting and whining.
"When life hands you a lemon, say "Oh yeah, I like lemons. What else you got?" --Henry Rollins

Blog http://seattletfiles.blogspot.com/
Twitter https://twitter.com/CareyTorg

Querying: The Princess Paradox
WIP: The Thief

Offline edelweiss

• sonjayoerg
Re: 5 partials out...am I greedy??
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 03:07:42 PM »
Take it from me. Partials are like teenagers. You worry when they're out, but it's almost always worse when they come back.

Good luck! :up:
Clever as a Fox: Animal Intelligence and What It Can Teach Us About Ourselves (Bloomsbury USA, 2001; paperback, Harvard U. Press, 2002)

HOUSE BROKEN, a novel, coming from Penguin/NAL January 2015
THE TRAIL, another novel, coming September 2015
www.facebook.com/SonjaYoerg
Twitter: @SonjaYoerg

Offline lexcade

• Me & Michael Myers. SO COOL!
    • Going from Nobody to Somebody
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 04:46:45 PM »
Haha it's not greedy to want the next step. Congrats on having the partials out. Hopefully at least one of those turns into a full request. Fingers are crossed!
Duality - Edits
WIP: Spark
Outline: Untitled Epic Fantasy, Silver Circle (YA urban fantasy), Siren's Song (YA dystopian)
Back burner: Taming The Ancients

http://lexcade.blogspot.com

Offline Careyrox

• Don't tell me what I can't do! -Locke (LOST)
    • The T Files: Ramblings of a Writer
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 06:07:01 PM »
I know, but I feel like I should be grateful for even getting this far...and I totally am...I would just LOVE to have an agent want to read the whole thing. YKWIM?
"When life hands you a lemon, say "Oh yeah, I like lemons. What else you got?" --Henry Rollins

Blog http://seattletfiles.blogspot.com/
Twitter https://twitter.com/CareyTorg

Querying: The Princess Paradox
WIP: The Thief

Offline Tabris

• I rock!
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 06:09:28 PM »
Wait until you have 26 fulls out and you're dying for a phone call.  :up:

Offline lexcade

• Me & Michael Myers. SO COOL!
    • Going from Nobody to Somebody
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012, 08:35:34 PM »
I know, but I feel like I should be grateful for even getting this far...and I totally am...I would just LOVE to have an agent want to read the whole thing. YKWIM?

Dude, I COMPLETELY understand. I was lucky enough to get my full in front of one of my dream agents *after she'd rejected my query; kind of a long story*. Just knowing she was interested in the whole thing really upped my confidence.
Duality - Edits
WIP: Spark
Outline: Untitled Epic Fantasy, Silver Circle (YA urban fantasy), Siren's Song (YA dystopian)
Back burner: Taming The Ancients

http://lexcade.blogspot.com

Offline Midwest

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2012, 08:53:43 AM »
Love the teenager analogy, edelweiss!

CareyRox - you're not greedy. And *when* one of your partials gets upgraded to a full, you won't be crazy, either, when you dance around your house squealing with delight.   :)

Good luck!!!!
@JulieLTimmer
www.julielawsontimmer.com
UNTETHERED (Putnam 2016)
FIVE DAYS LEFT (Putnam 2014)

Offline Sarah Ahiers (Falen)

• This, too, shall pass
    • Sarah Ahiers
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2012, 04:07:04 PM »
Wait until you have 26 fulls out and you're dying for a phone call.  :up:

Oh god, THIS. I wasn't quite at 26, but hell, that is a hard lesson to learn.

Careyrox - some agents just ask for partials first, and some agents only ask for fulls. I wouldn't read into it too much. One great thing about partials OVER fulls is, it gives you a chance to be bumped to a full, and that's even better than getting a full right out of the gate, because that means they like the novel enough to keep reading.
With a rejection on a full, you never know how far they got before they stopped reading unless they tell you.  :up:

And heck no, you're not being greedy. Any more than any of us with fulls are, hoping one will turn into an offer. We all just want the same thing  :yes:
Repped by Mollie Glick of CAA
ASSASSIN'S HEART 2016 HarperTeen
I hang out at Sarah Ahiers Writes
Author Website

Offline rnpudel

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2012, 12:29:37 PM »
I'm with Falen on this one. I've gotten full requests from agents who usually request fulls, and partial requests from agents who usually request partials. However, I will say that I think the agents who rejected my fulls only read up to around page 50, which is a partial. I only say that because of the feedback I've received along with the rejection. But five out at once?! That's awesome! And at least you know your query is amazing!  :up: