Author Topic: STATS ON REPPED & PUBLISHED?  (Read 3143 times)

Offline Zooks

• www.MaryVettel.com
STATS ON REPPED & PUBLISHED?
« on: August 13, 2012, 04:40:19 PM »
Does QT have any kind of stats to show how many of the agented QTers have gotten published? And how long it took and what kind of deal they got? Just wondering.  Thanks.
THE ARCHIMEDES SOCIETY-Humor
THE KNOTTED GUN - Suspense
THE LONG AND THE SHORT OF IT-RomCom
NOOKS & GRANNIES-YA
GATSBY DELANEY - 7TH GRADE IMPRESARIO - MG
THIS AIN'T NO COWBOY MOVIE-YA
BROGWIN FRAYNEY & HOW HE NEARLY SAVED A KINGDOM-MG
DEATH AT THE DRIVE-IN - Gen'l Fiction
A SCOUNDREL'S TALE-Humor

Offline MaryL

• Marissa Clarke
Re: STATS ON REPPED & PUBLISHED?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 10:21:23 PM »
It would be hard to compile, Zooks, because most authors don't want to reveal the deal details. There are so many factors involved other than just advances--marketing, publicity, foreign rights, cover control (even hand holding) are negotiable items. Some agents negotiate for months to get the fine points ironed out.  Most of the main site users drop QT once they sign with an agent and it would be unlikely they would report back on a sale.

I'm sure there is data somewhere. 5 years ago, I read a report somewhere (PW, maybe?) that gave some stats. It said that only 60% of agented manuscripts sell and that only 50% of debut authors ever publish a second book unrelated to the first one. That's old data and I've no idea what the stats would be today. I'd like to know, though.
I write as Marissa Clarke and Mary Lindsey for Penguin/Random House and Entangled Publishing
Repped by Kevan Lyon of Marsal Lyon Literary Agency
http://www.marissaclarke.com

Offline LateToTheParty

• Listen, kid, we're all in it together.
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 09:42:15 AM »
Good question, Z. Very interesting stuff.
Critiques should spur growth and improvement. Neither is painless.

I don't do personal attacks, defense/debate of work or grudges.

Remember, my comment's worth exactly what you paid for it. Use it, ignore it or PM-me and I'll remove it. 

Buona fortuna!

Offline Zooks

• www.MaryVettel.com
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 08:19:22 PM »
Thanks, Mary.  I didn't mean I expected anyone to give the $ amount of their deals (though it would be interesting to know of course).   Thanks for the stats, even if they're not up-to-date.  karma.
THE ARCHIMEDES SOCIETY-Humor
THE KNOTTED GUN - Suspense
THE LONG AND THE SHORT OF IT-RomCom
NOOKS & GRANNIES-YA
GATSBY DELANEY - 7TH GRADE IMPRESARIO - MG
THIS AIN'T NO COWBOY MOVIE-YA
BROGWIN FRAYNEY & HOW HE NEARLY SAVED A KINGDOM-MG
DEATH AT THE DRIVE-IN - Gen'l Fiction
A SCOUNDREL'S TALE-Humor

Offline LisaAnn

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 08:05:41 PM »
It said that only 60% of agented manuscripts sell and that only 50% of debut authors ever publish a second book unrelated to the first one.

Yikes! Sounds similar to what I have heard... This business isn't for the faint of heart, is it?  :sad2:

Offline LTABA

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2012, 05:59:42 PM »
Those stats seem optimistic to me. When I asked my first agent (at one of the top children's agencies) for her batting average she got flustered and didn't answer. "Oh, I don't keep track," she finally muttered. Right. I asked this same question to another newer agent and she said she'd posed the same question to a very successful pro whom she admired. This old hand said 25%. The moral: getting an agent is a wonderful step, but don't imagine it's the same as publishing. I imagine the average is even lower for newer agents than for established agents who have a more experienced eye and better editorial relationships.