Author Topic: YA and MG  (Read 6204 times)

Offline Cole Gibsen

• April 28th, 2015
    • Cole Gibsen
YA and MG
« on: July 23, 2007, 05:38:59 PM »
YA and MG

These aren't my genres, but I am curious. What's the difference? ???
May the road rise up to meet you. May the wind always be at your back. May the sun shine warm upon your face,and rains fall soft upon your fields. And until we meet again, may no spiders fall on your head.

blog: www.colegibsen.blogspot.com

Lotheus

Re: YA and MG
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2007, 05:46:52 PM »
You can say the "f" word in YA.  I think that's it.   :stupid:

Offline Diowe

• Please. Tell me more.
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 10:40:19 PM »
There's a bit more than that (although that's pretty crucial, Lotheus).  ;)

Mostly, it's the age of your main character. MG is written for 9-12 year olds; sometimes 10-14 if it's "upper MG" so your main character should be on the upper side of this age bracket. YA is typically 12+ and characters are at least teens; usually toward the end of high school.

The other major difference is the way subject matter is handled. MG must always end with a note of hope. YA doesn't have to. MG can be just as hard-hitting (but usually isn't) and you have to watch your language some and I don't mean just the f-bomb. Your audience is younger so your vocab has to reflect that. Plus there's lots less introspection in MG. It's more action-driven and typically a bit shorter. MG readers won't sit still for much description either. Plus you have to consider what interests a 9-12 year old is bound to be a bit different than what interests an older teen.

Hope that helps, Senshi!

Diowe

Offline justwrite

• Why A: The Blog of Lisa Amowitz
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2007, 11:01:13 PM »
Well said!!!! Nothing to add.

Lotheus

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2007, 09:24:28 PM »
I find it interesting how many people are writing MG and YA too.  Is it because of the whole Harry Potter phenomenon, or is it just that so many writers don't feel mature enough to take on "adult" topics?  (Not that kind of adult topic, you sickos. :naughty:)

Offline justwrite

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2007, 10:11:12 PM »
I prefer reading them. Therefore, I prefer writing them because I understand them best. Plus, as I stated before, I'm just plain immature.

Actually, way, way back before HP (1987  :zip:) I wrote a (very crappy) book. My husband jokes she stole my idea because I had a a ghost named Harry.

For me, reading to my kids is what got me back in the game. And yes, I fell head over heels in love with HP. Especially after reading all three of the first books OUT LOUD with a British accent to my daughter. (then I read my own to her and had to perfect a Scottish accent...poor kid).

Lotheus

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2007, 10:14:37 PM »
My wife often tells me that I should read for audiobooks, but I have noe idea how I would go about getting that job.  So I just annoy my family with it.

Offline Diowe

• Please. Tell me more.
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2007, 08:03:31 PM »
Well, Lotheus, at the risk of getting eggs thrown at me (but then, I guess no one can really do that over the net, can they?) I've never read one single Harry Potter book  :zip: and I write MG anyway. I've always dreamed of being a writer, ever since I was 8 or 9 years old. That's why I chose to write for this age group-- I'd love it if my words kept some kid awake all night like reading used to keep me awake all night. Books were so magical to me then. Just like justwrite said, I got serious about getting published when I started reading books to my own kids. When they got old enough to spend more time on their own, I took a correspondence course through the Institute of Children's Lit and here I am.

Diowe

Offline justwrite

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2007, 08:35:09 PM »
How useful was that course? BTW, are you currently in a critique group, because mine needs a sixth member.

Offline Diowe

• Please. Tell me more.
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2007, 11:00:10 PM »
At the time, the course was very useful to me, justwrite. The beauty of it was the one-on-one with the instructor. But I have a feeling you're way beyond it. They do offer more advanced courses but I've never taken any of those.

I'm already in a crit group, but thanks for the offer.  :)

Diowe

Offline justwrite

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2007, 06:29:58 AM »
Darn...with that little snip from you I would have grabbed ya! Lucky them! Thanks so much...karma for you!